• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Matthews Appreciation Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
I think it's pretty obvious that Mattews is a better climber and TT'er than Sagan. Sagan seems to be faster and more explosive though. Overall, I'd say Matthews has a smaller niche where he could be truly the best in the world.

This exactly.

This being the case, the green jersey is a little harder for him to target than it is for Sagan. I want to see him take it this year, but it'll be hard....maybe he can win stage 19.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Certainly possible for Mathews.

If MM takes all the IS points on the next two stages, and MK gets zero, then it's MM=384 vs MK 373.

Friday: MM will probably get more points than MK, or at least not lose too many.

ITT: Either/both could pick up a few points. Lots of riders will be exhausted & not particularly motivated.

So MM will probably have a slight advantage going into Paris. MK will probably win, but MM could be close enough to take green.

A suspenseful sideshow!

Re:

Red Rick said:
I think it's pretty obvious that Mattews is a better climber and TT'er than Sagan. Sagan seems to be faster and more explosive though. Overall, I'd say Matthews has a smaller niche where he could be truly the best in the world.

Is it? I would not be so sure having this T-A stage 3 in mind. We were robbed this year of seeing Sagan going "all in" to secure his 6th GJ against 6 stage win Kittel. :mad:

But we were also robbed of seeing their mutual competition that could be great with the form MM has this year.

I wish MM get his GJ. He deserves it. The only problem is that he somehow proves Prudhomme strategy and we can next year another Kittelfriendly route. I hope I am mistaken here.

Re:

Red Rick said:

https://youtu.be/-3i3mOADq2c

Matthews might be the better climber right now but I have den several climbing performances from Sagan that surpasses anything Matthews has ever done

Good to see Matthews getting the thumbs up from the non Aussies. Kittel looks like he's running on empty, it is certainly possible for Matthews to take Green by Paris which would be a great reward and recognition for his and Sunwebs efforts. Was fantastic to see the team pulling hard to distance Kittel and put Matthews in the box seat for contesting the win. The Green jersey is all about the most consistent rider not the fastest.

Sunweb getting awesome value for money in the Giro and now the Tour. Hopefully it doesn't come down to Paris as that tips things back in favour of the big German. But if Kittel's empty after the Alpes you never know.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

trucido said:
He has an inferiority complex regarding Sagan, but who can blame him when you are constantly compared due to your similarities.
Why do you think he has an inferiority complex? He seems like very confident guy

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Eagle said:
trucido said:
He has an inferiority complex regarding Sagan, but who can blame him when you are constantly compared due to your similarities.
Why do you think he has an inferiority complex? He seems like very confident guy

Some Sagan fans have some sort of complex maybe a persecution complex !

Oh look a strawman response, how predictable.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

trucido said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/matthews-if-you-can-figure-out-how-to-beat-sagan-please-tell-me/
I think you are seeing in that interview what is not there. They are both friends in private. That comment seemed more out of respect than anything.

Simplifying, Matthews is a sprinter who can climb, but he is no Sagan. He is Matthews. So for him to try taking Sags head-on seems only a recipe for disappointment. To win with Sagan in the race, he needs to play it differently. And he knows that.
That is why I said his star is outshined by Sagan somehow undeservedly when they compete in the same race. Mere Sagan presence prevents MM to go for the more aggressive tactics like we get to see and like in this Tour. A warrior who earns his victories.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

ihosama said:
trucido said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/matthews-if-you-can-figure-out-how-to-beat-sagan-please-tell-me/
I think you are seeing in that interview what is not there. They are both friends in private. That comment seemed more out of respect than anything.

Simplifying, Matthews is a sprinter who can climb, but he is no Sagan. He is Matthews. So for him to try taking Sags head-on seems only a recipe for disappointment. To win with Sagan in the race, he needs to play it differently. And he knows that.
That is why I said his star is outshined by Sagan somehow undeservedly when they compete in the same race. Mere Sagan presence prevents MM to go for the more aggressive tactics like we get to see and like in this Tour. A warrior who earns his victories.

Being friends and having a complex are not mutually exclusive. In any case it's your interpretation vs mine so we can agree to disagree there.

In terms of the bolded part, the same can be said for many a "lesser" rider when the main cast is MIA/off-form and they get their chance to shine.

TRENDING THREADS