• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michal Kwiatkowski Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think Van Poppel or Viviani or anyone else on Sky will have a sprint train dedicated for them.
I think that Michal was working for his teammates by attacking and allowing them to sit on, and as a revenge they will work for him on MSR. At least that's my hope.

I think this race will truly show what level Michal is at this season. No matter whether he is strong enough or not, I am still a huge fan! Such an exciting rider never afraid to make surprise attack and always using tactical smarts to overcome physical limitations.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valv.Piti said:
Really inspiring rider when he is on. Great attacking spirit! Really good if he is back on.

He should ride E3 and Flanders as well. I really hope Sky and himself do realise that.
Just repeating myself here. Im so glad he is back at his best and really hopes he will ride those 2 races. :)

Well today it wasn't really an attacking spirit, but some really smart racing ;)

Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Valv.Piti said:
Really inspiring rider when he is on. Great attacking spirit! Really good if he is back on.

He should ride E3 and Flanders as well. I really hope Sky and himself do realise that.
Just repeating myself here. Im so glad he is back at his best and really hopes he will ride those 2 races. :)

Well today it wasn't really an attacking spirit, but some really smart racing ;)
Thats pointing out the obvious... but yes.

It's actually impressive that Kwiatkowskis one day race palmares is only slightly worse than Sagans.

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

So Sagan has one more very big win and all in all 2 more classics. Still considering that 2014 was Kwiats first good season and that he was far from his best in the last two years this is very surprising.

Gigs_98 said:
It's actually impressive that Kwiatkowskis one day race palmares is only slightly worse than Sagans.

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

So Sagan has one more very big win and all in all 2 more classics. Still considering that 2014 was Kwiats first good season and that he was far from his best in the last two years this is very surprising.
You could make an argument that Kwiatkowski's is better, based on the diversity of races involved. Ardennes classic, hilly worlds, sprinters monument, cobbled classic and SB. He's covered pretty much every type of one day race.

Sagan has quantity, but significantly less diversity.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

Yes, but Kwait is a bit like Bettini, he only wins big races.
The guy's just one of the smartest racers in the game, he knows how to read a race and when he was to follow a move, one hell of a rider.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Kawasaki really has a killer instinct in classics. When he is in a finale, he usually wins it.

I will always echo what DFA said, its very impressive that he has won such a wide variety of classics. Really a born classics rider with big flair for winning
I guess that was autocorrect but I still think we should make this his official nickname :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

And that's the usual problem when you only look at one aspect (aka winning, although the far most important one). Or do you really think Kwiatkowski is very close to Sagan in terms of one-day racing? I don't. Although I think, he really is one of the finest classics riders in the peloton, and today's victory is a testament to that.

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

And that's the usual problem when you only look at one aspect (aka winning, although the far most important one). Or do you really think Kwiatkowski is very close to Sagan in terms of one-day racing? I don't. Although I think, he really is one of the finest classics riders in the peloton, and today's victory is a testament to that.
That was the point of the post. The statistic makes it look as if kwiat is about as good as Sagan although the reality is that sagan is clearly at least one class above him. Although kwiatkowski is ofc still a superb classics rider

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Kawasaki really has a killer instinct in classics. When he is in a finale, he usually wins it.

I will always echo what DFA said, its very impressive that he has won such a wide variety of classics. Really a born classics rider with big flair for winning
I guess that was autocorrect but I still think we should make this his official nickname :D
I laughed! :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

That was the point of the post. The statistic makes it look as if kwiat is about as good as Sagan although the reality is that sagan is clearly at least one class above him. Although kwiatkowski is ofc still a superb classics rider

I get your point, but you didn't get mine. With a superficial observation, of only major wins, it looks like they're really close. But, if you scratch a little bit, you'll find that Sagan has 3 Monument podiums and numerous top10 placings in them. Kwiat has one podium and no top10 other than that. Sagan has 5 other WT classics wins + 8 podiums, Kwiat has 3 wins + 1 podium. Sagan has 18 one-day wins (Including Nationals), Kwiat has 8 wins. So, to summarize, just looking at the whole statistics of these two riders, to me it's obvious that Sagan is clearly better one-day rider

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Sagan has won:
-2xWC
-RVV
-2x GW
-E3
-Quebec
-Montreal

Kwiat has won:
-WC
-MSR
-E3
-AGR
-2x SB

I get your point, but you didn't get mine. With a superficial observation, of only major wins, it looks like they're really close. But, if you scratch a little bit, you'll find that Sagan has 3 Monument podiums and numerous top10 placings in them. Kwiat has one podium and no top10 other than that. Sagan has 5 other WT classics wins + 8 podiums, Kwiat has 3 wins + 1 podium. Sagan has 18 one-day wins (Including Nationals), Kwiat has 8 wins. So, to summarize, just looking at the whole statistics of these two riders, to me it's obvious that Sagan is clearly better one-day rider

Gigs 98 is not disagreeing with you. Everyone knows that Sagan is the stronger one day racer. It is a particularly good reflection on Kwiatkowski's racing brain that a list of their biggest one day wins hides that fact.

Smart ride by Kwia. Sagan has to learn to hold his nerve a bit more. Some of the great sprinters from previous years would have waited until the bunch was right on top of them, that's the way to force others to the front but I'm still not convinced that Sagan would have had the legs to beat Kwia after the way he worked and rode the hill. Kwia is an underrated sprinter at the end of a hard race.