• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Then its a good thing that that stages that by far suits Lopez the most are on Friday and Saturday. Lets see what he got and if he is able to live up to the hype about possibly being the strongest climber in the race.
So far, so good. And on the day that I really didn't expect him to do that much.. I think he will attack tomorrow on Finestre. Could be absolutely epic.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valv.Piti said:
Then its a good thing that that stages that by far suits Lopez the most are on Friday and Saturday. Lets see what he got and if he is able to live up to the hype about possibly being the strongest climber in the race.
So far, so good. And on the day that I really didn't expect him to do that much.. I think he will attack tomorrow on Finestre. Could be absolutely epic.
He should, and he will. Lopez has nothing to lose on the Finestre, cause every rider who's behind him will get dropped badly anyway. Even if there's no teammates ahead he can just go for it and see who drops to not be seen again.

Re:

Cinemaniak said:
So far this stage... Lopez isn't very ambitious and a huge lack of sportsmanship. You can help chasing down Froome for a podium, but choose to be a coward and sitting in wheels. This guy will never win a big stagerace with his mentality.

Why would he ride, for podium he needs to go over Pinot (and yes Pozzovivo) as long as Pinot is spending energie and he can save some he has no reason to ride at all. He has a much better chance of podium by sitting in the wheels atm.

Ruudz0r said:
Cinemaniak said:
So far this stage... Lopez isn't very ambitious and a huge lack of sportsmanship. You can help chasing down Froome for a podium, but choose to be a coward and sitting in wheels. This guy will never win a big stagerace with his mentality.

Why would he ride, for podium he needs to go over Pinot (and yes Pozzovivo) as long as Pinot is spending energie and he can save some he has no reason to ride at all. He has a much better chance of podium by sitting in the wheels atm.

Because he can come up and over Froome and Pozzovivo. It's just cowardly the way he's riding.

Cinemaniak said:
Ruudz0r said:
Cinemaniak said:

Because he can come up and over Froome and Pozzovivo. It's just cowardly the way he's riding.

You call it cowardly, I think it's strategic. Being brave is a good thing, but one needs to be thoughtful about it, otherwise there's a risk of just being dumb.

Cinemaniak said:
Ruudz0r said:
Cinemaniak said:

He is already going over Pozzovivo with the current way it is. Him going over Pinot is much more likely then over Froome atm, only if Froome fully blows up, but if that happens he can also go over him if the doesnt ride. So not riding makes much more sense, race tactics = something else then being a coward.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
I feel like Carapz is in better shape than him after he almost got droped several times on finistere but still I think he will hold the white jersey and maybe pass Pinot on the summit

Great ride by MAL. Knowing how to suffer on a jour sans is as sign that he has the mind of a serious GC contender. His soft attack at the base of Jafferau bluffed out a clearly stronger Carapaz.

On the flip side, his climbing form hasn't improved from last year. Time will tell if he has the legs to truly challenge at Grand Tours.

Re:

carton said:
Great ride by MAL. Knowing how to suffer on a jour sans is as sign that he has the mind of a serious GC contender. His soft attack at the base of Jafferau bluffed out a clearly stronger Carapaz.

On the flip side, his climbing form hasn't improved from last year. Time will tell if he has the legs to truly challenge at Grand Tours.
What's great about sitting in wheels all day and how can you say he'll ever be a contender? Far from the level of Froome, Dumo, Bernal, Yates, Pinot, etc. He has proven to be overrated today.

Cinemaniak said:
carton said:

What's great about sitting in wheels all day and how can you say he'll ever be a contender? Far from the level of Froome, Dumo, Bernal, Yates, Pinot, etc. He has proven to be overrated today.
Did you read anything past the first word?

carton said:
Cinemaniak said:
carton said:

Did you read anything past the first word?
I did, but i disagreed with 'great'. There's nothing great about it.

Cinemaniak said:
I did, but i disagreed with 'great'. There's nothing great about it.
Go out for a little 5 hour ride where you know you don't have it in the first hour but push yourself to hold on to the wheel climb after climb because there's a greater goal to be had. Have the cool to not give away your weakness to your rivals and throw in an attack to test their legs and throw them off the scent. That's a routine ride for a champion. But great ride for MAL at this point.

He really didn't have good legs today and somehow he still managed to finish 4th. Good performance all-around. Used his head perfectly as well, by riding own tempo on Finestre and not taking over when pressured by Pinot ( :eek: ). 40 seconds is do-able on such a stage, but he needs to be much, much better than today.

His interview didn't sound all too hopeful. He stated that for now, the white jersey is the main objective. So either he thinks that is more important than the podium, or he has already accepted that he won't have the legs to shake Pinot, let alone drop him for 40 seconds.

TRENDING THREADS