• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Laplaz said:
I think he will be good in the Vuelta, since it's his main goal, and he is one of the few of them.

I'm optimistic for a podium, but depends on who turns up. I imagine Kruijswijk will be one of his main challengers. The olympics should sap away any limited reserves of energy that the big guys from the Tour might have remaining

Re: Re:

liamito said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Climbing wise he was not even that special this week. Though very consistent. But his time trial blew any expectation out of the water. Wow! Very special performance.

I think he really hates rainy cold days, which makes a possible GC win even more special (for me).
Well he proved today he was also the strongest climber. So that makes it even more special also

Red Rick said:
Kruijswijk is 100% not suited to the Vuelta. There is 1 stage that suits him somewhat. He won't top 5 it.
Yep. Kruijswijk needs long steep climbs or gruelling steep climbs like the ones in the Giro. Not the Vuelta climbs which are irregular (flat followed by v steep, followed by flat etc).

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I think that will see big battles between MAL and Quintana but i think that Nairo will win most races . remember this year vuelta with quintana , froome MAL , he has good chances to be on podium , but Nairo has chances to do the double.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

nairoman said:
I think that will see big battles between MAL and Quintana but i think that Nairo will win most races . remember this year vuelta with quintana , froome MAL , he has good chances to be on podium , but Nairo has chances to do the double.
and froome + contador not? lol

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Fwiw, he does look better than Quintana did at 22.

But let's wait until after the Vuelta before hyping him up as the next GT superstar.

Not so sure. Yes, he is more well-rounded than Quintana at the same age and way more explosive as well, but the pure climbing ability and engine that Quintana showed when he was 22 is unparalleled by any climber in the last 5-10 years imo.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Laplaz said:
I think he will be good in the Vuelta, since it's his main goal, and he is one of the few of them.

I'm optimistic for a podium, but depends on who turns up. I imagine Kruijswijk will be one of his main challengers. The olympics should sap away any limited reserves of energy that the big guys from the Tour might have remaining
I think we shouldn't expect too much, the first gt is always a learning experience.
Even Quintana who was super strong in his first gt was working as a climbing domestique for Valverde.
I expect to see a bit of his climbing potential on a few stages, but you can't expect him to fight for a podium spot in his first gt, that would be almost scary.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:

But let's wait until after the Vuelta before hyping him up as the next GT superstar.
Quintana at 22 was dropping the Sky train at the Dauphine.

I think Quintana's performance at the WT have been very impressive from day 1. Independent of riding styles.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
contador is too old while froome has not the recovery that quintana has to to a double , pretty simple quintana has the best chances to win tour + vuelta . For MAL I think that Quintana is more talented in climbing that's for sure LEmond thinks that Nairo is the most talanted since Indurain and i think so THE BEST ENGINE BY FAR

Re:

nairoman said:
contador is too old while froome has not the recovery that quintana has to to a double , pretty simple quintana has the best chances to win tour + vuelta . For MAL I think that Quintana is more talented in climbing that's for sure LEmond thinks that Nairo is the most talanted since Indurain and i think so THE BEST ENGINE BY FAR
Don't jinx Quintana please.

Escarabajo said:
PremierAndrew said:

Quintana at 22 was dropping the Sky train at the Dauphine.

I think Quintana's performance at the WT have been very impressive from day 1. Independent of riding styles.
Nairo was also doing damage in la Vuelta at 22, in the stage to Cueto Negro. Very different career paths for both also. Nairo was a first year professional at 22, Superman only has 5 years of riding a bike under his belt at age 22.

Pleased to see Superman Lopez living up to his expectations by winning his very first World Pro Tour race :) BTW - the comparison between him & Quintanita does not make sense to me at all: both are talented, both will succeed, BUT in their own particular way. At some point in years to come, they'll face each other, -only then we'll be able to draw some conclusions, but now is simply silly.

Does anybody know what will be his next race? Olympics & Vuelta?

hfer07 said:
Pleased to see Superman Lopez living up to his expectations by winning his very first World Pro Tour race :) BTW - the comparison between him & Quintanita does not make sense to me at all: both are talented, both will succeed, BUT in their own particular way. At some point in years to come, they'll face each other, -only then we'll be able to draw some conclusions, but now is simply silly.

Does anybody know what will be his next race? Olympics & Vuelta?[/

He rode Suisse last year?

TRENDING THREADS