• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hm. I don't know. I think we might overestimate people based on Vuelta's, where a lot of riders are a lot less fresh after a long season and a fresh, in form rider can really stand out.

I think the tough thing about the Giro is that almost everybody is relatively fresh. So it's harder to stand out or make a difference. We're seeing that for a couple of years in a row now.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Well, he just needs to find his Vuelta legs. He was equally bad in the first week in that race, but admittedly, I had expected more on a stage like this. I still think he can win, but it will be extremely hard now, I think.

Win a stage not the race. Aru the same. Maybe even Froome.But Froome probably has more room for some sort of fight back as we have seen it before but unless the riders in front of him have a bad day it's not looking likely at the moment.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hm. I don't know. I think we might overestimate people based on Vuelta's, where a lot of riders are a lot less fresh after a long season and a fresh, in form rider can really stand out.

I think the tough thing about the Giro is that almost everybody is relatively fresh. So it's harder to stand out or make a difference. We're seeing that for a couple of years in a row now.
People being fresher in Giro than Vuelta is one thing, but Lopez possibly not being in optimal form is other thing (and clear one IMHO); and it has nothing to do with others being fresher.

He can still win the white jersey given Carapaz might have a bad day in the high mountains. Everything is still possible. It's only that everyone expected him to fight for the overall victory rather than a stage win plus the youth classification. Maybe his laurels indeed hang a bit too high to get reaped!

Re:

staubsauger said:
He can still win the white jersey given Carapaz might have a bad day in the high mountains. Everything is still possible. It's only that everyone expected him to fight for the overall victory rather than a stage win plus the youth classification. Maybe his laurels indeed hang a bit too high to get reaped!
He needs to work on his positioning in the group. Among other details that add up at the end of the day.

Lopez might still end up being the best climber of the race but looking at the current gc that might easily not even be enough for a podium. As long as he loses so much time in TT's and hilly stages he just can't win gt's (except if he is absolutely dominant in the climbs but so far it hasn't looked like that's the case either) so he has to massively improve in that aspect

Re:

staubsauger said:
He doesn't need to rely on Carapaz to have a bad day - most likely he will win the jersey regardless. The stages that are coming up now doesn't require positional skills, nor explosivity, but pure and proper endurance climbing in high mountains. In other words, stages where he excels. I definitely also think that the decreased freshness plays in his favour, he strikes me as a rider with great recovery alá Kruijswijk. You got 4 of those stages, a mono climb stage to Nevoso and a 45 min FTP test. Thats fine.

Honestly, I would be surprised if he DOESNT podium still. But maybe Im overrating him.

Re:

Cinemaniak said:
Is it possible that this is just his level? Yates, Dumoulin, Pinot are simply better and Lopez isn't a talent like Quintana or Bernal. More like Uran or Chaves. Excellent on one day, terrible on the next.
Lopez has been consistently bad in the first week, even on stages which should suit him decently.. He certainly isn't the talent like Bernal, maybe not Quintana either. Its becoming evident that Lopez is super one dimensional, but as long as that one dimension is top-3 in the world, he can win a GT under the right circumstances.

Differently put, I dont think he is super inconsistent and such, but he has flaws: bad positioning, no real explosiveness on short climbs, crashes, diesel motor (which is an advantage later in GTs obviously).

Re:

Cinemaniak said:
Is it possible that this is just his level? Yates, Dumoulin, Pinot are simply better and Lopez isn't a talent like Quintana or Bernal. More like Uran or Chaves. Excellent on one day, terrible on the next.
We simply don't have enough evidence to conclude this. It may very well be but just don't have that information. The final mountain stages will tell us more unless he keeps crashing. Then we will have enough evidence that he won't be a GT rider because of his bad bike skills.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Cinemaniak said:
Lopez has been consistently bad in the first week, even on stages which should suit him decently.. He certainly isn't the talent like Bernal, maybe not Quintana either. Its becoming evident that Lopez is super one dimensional, but as long as that one dimension is top-3 in the world, he can win a GT under the right circumstances.

Differently put, I dont think he is super inconsistent and such, but he has flaws: bad positioning, no real explosiveness on short climbs, crashes, diesel motor (which is an advantage later in GTs obviously).

I think these "right circumstances" to win a Grand Tour are extremely remote over three weeks of racing. Lopez needs to improve hugely end of story.

TRENDING THREADS