• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mas btw did quite lousy tt which shows how on the ropes he was afterall. Lopez was a non-spanish problem as he sure would have done better tt.
Yes I totally agree as everyone knows Lopez is famous for his strong TT performances. Clearly it would be impossible for Mas to beat Lopez in the overall with only a 25sec lead before the TT. Roglic should also thank Movistar, I'm fairly sure Lopez would actually win the final TT if he was still in the race...

Not having the legs to follow Haig and go with the other riders was not a nationalistic decision. Expecting Bernal to help him (lack of tactical mind) was not nationalistic decision (maybe on Lopez part...did he expect Bernal to help him because he is columbian? ) his damage repair is using nationalistic means to make him appear a victim. Sorry, isn't working. He didn't have the legs and he made a poor decision. Should own it like many other pro riders have and would have. Instead, temper tantrum. And having wife on the phone? ...basket case.

I think he had legs as we saw on Govadonga and Gamoniteiru, even legs with Mas I'd say. But of course he made major (major) mistake by taking a nap when game was on. Primitive panic and frustration after that.

Man is the head of the family, but it's woman that keeps turning that head.. (ask Chris and Michelle) :D

• Wow
Reactions: noob
I guess he would start a murder spree if his DS decided to take a toilet break right before Civiglio. Maybe venting and cursing while on the ropes could help? It helped Voeckler enough to salvage Tour 5th/4th place. His results are spectacular with very marketable wins on Loze and Gamonitero (both arguably hardest climbs in their respective years) and twice GT podiums but right now his losses may be even larger with elegant "no cap" "fans" swinging and now this complete meltdown. I guess it's everyday for Movistar as they're run by a literal madman and they had a history of trying to juggle Indurain, Olano and Jimenez or Valverde, Quintana and Landa on the same team. Also, more revenue from Netflix. I only hope that Lopez won't end up like Chava did as they seems somewhat similar.

What happened? Didn't follow a move. Like 3 days earlier he tried to follow the Bernal move but was too late. Bernal took the L without complains and i believe he actually earned a great PR with his Contadoresque antics. If Lopez was cooler and more humble he would end up with his signature queen stage win and a top 5. He may need to reearn his stripes within next years as he'll most likely end up as a Giro throwaway and 2nd picking behind Mas.

I think he had legs as we saw on Govadonga and Gamoniteiru, even legs with Mas I'd say. But of course he made major (major) mistake by taking a nap when game was on. Primitive panic and frustration after that.

Man is the head of the family, but it's woman that keeps turning that head.. (ask Chris and Michelle) :D
ha...have to remind myself...its only a bike race...they are human ...too bad it was a cascade of bad decisions. Yes the woman turning the head...it happens i suppose ...i dont agree w that happening in race but as i said..only a bike race

If he stays at Movistar he should still get GC leadership at one and helping/stage hunting the other. Though honestly his biggest asset is being a threat in GC for attacking and having to be chased.
He should apologize and quite frankly work for others at the beginning of the year to gain their respect and trust back. It’s one thing to abandon but it’s another to do it when your teammate rides back up to you on terrain he isn’t very good on and rides his heart out for you. Not to mention money lost from his 6th or 7th place finish.

Aren't they the team that never paid people on time ?
Multiple times if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I heard few podcasts with Unzue, Mas & others close to the MAL situation and by Euzebio's "careful" selection of words, he's implying MAL is literally out of Movistar one way or the other ( hope is the amicable way as opposed to some sort of alienation)
Also bear in mind there is the arrival of IVAN SOSA next year, which has far more potential & time to nurture than MAL.

All this mess proves again and again that important decisions should never ever ever be made by emotions but rather by logic & composure.

Mas and López are very even players resultswise tbo, career lenghts aso. As Movistar is now considering termination of López's contract I say it's epitome of stupidity of the team management. First, if team let López get up to the front group in stage 20 (if he could get there) it would have broaden result potential for the team. Movi for 2nd and 3rd in gc. But no and so it was nationalistic decision made. Nothing new for Movistar. Not dedicated Sky/Ineos fan here but if Mas and López were in those jerseys, there would not been this drama to be seen.

Mas btw did quite lousy tt which shows how on the ropes he was afterall. Lopez was a non-spanish problem as he sure would have done better tt. Maybe Movi was collapsing also for the fact that spaniards were getting zero stage wins in all Gran Tours in 2021.

Second, I tend to believe there are teams that see athletes mental training potential: stress, anger, pain, fear aso management leading better overall performance. Spanish team with temper tantrum written deeply in nations genetics, is it the best platform for temper tantrum athlete? Sometimes yes sometimes not.

Haha..for fairness sake if all one is looking for is sponsor coverage, hype et al, I suggest something else than procycling :p niche sport after all amongst big (pro sports business) players.
Wut?

Your powers of objective observation are, ummmm. Wut?

Wut?

Your powers of objective observation are, ummmm. Wut?
I guess no one remembers the team car cutting in front of Lopez to stop him from reaching the group then tying 50 lb weight to his bike to slow him down so he loses more time while waving the Spanish flag.

But if we want to talk about Mas time loss, wonder how Lopez would have did.

Last edited:
I heard few podcasts with Unzue, Mas & others close to the MAL situation and by Euzebio's "careful" selection of words, he's implying MAL is literally out of Movistar one way or the other ( hope is the amicable way as opposed to some sort of alienation)
Also bear in mind there is the arrival of IVAN SOSA next year, which has far more potential & time to nurture than MAL.

All this mess proves again and again that important decisions should never ever ever be made by emotions but rather by logic & composure.

Movistar hasn't announced anything regarding Sosa yet. Yes there are strong rumors he's going to Movistar, but so far nothing official.

I think it would be better for both parties to depart. Out of the news and statements coming to public, it is clear the relationship is very badly tarnished. Neither the athlete or the team cannot support eachothers in the best way in such situation. Professional support, yes, but the all-in kind of mentality needed for results is probably not going to happen anymore.

Far more potential???
Sosa is an excellent climber but he's terrible in basically every other aspect of bike racing. His best ever result in a WT stage race is 41st.
Not saying he can't improve but at his age MAL was already podiuming GTs.

The dinner no show was blown out of proportion by the media. I heard Unzue and he said nothing bad other that he didn't show and that he probably felt better staying with his family. Nothing more. If the question wasn't asked by the media nobody would have known. Besides, why would Unzue or Mas want Lopez at their dinner table?
I imagine the same tbh. If you wanna talk it out and continue working together, there's a better place and time for that.

Reactions: noob and Koronin

TRENDING THREADS