• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Aru is the only one level A rider with 100% freshness at the Vuelta. If he hits his best shape he's number one favorite imho!

Also the steep Vuelta walls seem to favor him a little more at this point of his career!

Aru is not level A rider! And he will not be no.1 favorite in Vuelta!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
A normal Vuelta should suit Aru better, he's more explosive and a better sprinter then Landa in those typical Unipublic stages, Landa seems to be more of a pure climber like Quintana, the Giro seems to be the ideal GT for Landa and I'm pretty sure that next year's Giro will have a shorter ITT and I've hear rumours about a MTT.
Landa is an awesome pure climber, he reminds me of Gibo, he's built almost the same way and also an awesome climber that doesn't seem to mind bad weather and loves really hard mountain stages.
BMC could be a good team for him, he would be undisputed the Leader for Giro and Vuelta and guys like Atapuma, Molinard and Caruso would be awesome climbing domestiques. :)
Astana is getting a little bit too crowded, too many Guys who deserve to be the leader in a GT and Fuglsang who thinks of himself as a real GC contender and only really works as a domestiwues when it heps his own GC position...

Re:

staubsauger said:
Aru is the only one level A rider with 100% freshness at the Vuelta. If he hits his best shape he's number one favorite imho!

Also the steep Vuelta walls seem to favor him a little more at this point of his career!

funny enough Landa was interviewed by RAI and the question was asked about his next race, in which he claim "La Vuelta" is my next big objective- EVEN IF ARU IS RIDING IT AS WELL - THEN WE'LL BE TWO PROTECTED LEADERS ON THE ROAD"

bottom line: In Spain He ain't taking that sh!t :D

Re: Re:

hfer07 said:
staubsauger said:

funny enough Landa was interviewed by RAI and the question was asked about his next race, in which he claim "La Vuelta" is my next big objective- EVEN IF ARU IS RIDING IT AS WELL - THEN WE'LL BE TWO PROTECTED LEADERS ON THE ROAD"

I think he may find it doesn't work out like that.

Electress said:
hfer07 said:
staubsauger said:

He proved to be really loyal this Giro. Listened to team orders even though that robbed him of a serious chance to win Giro. I think he is just giving them a heads up saying that in Vuelta he might not listen anymore.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

damian13ster said:
Electress said:
hfer07 said:
staubsauger said:

He proved to be really loyal this Giro. Listened to team orders even though that robbed him of a serious chance to win Giro. I think he is just giving them a heads up saying that in Vuelta he might not listen anymore.

maybe by Vuelta he might have signed a new contract w/ whoever that might be. So if he is the leader for Vuelta, he is going full gas with or without Aru :D. But I do hope that Aru, Landa will do Vuelta. Because Quintana is targetting Tour-Vuelta double *i think*. It would nice to see the battle of the future creme de la creme.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Jelantik said:
Mozart92 said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
Perhaps the reason Vino wants Aru in the tour is so that LAnda can be the captain in the Vuelta, and secure an extension of his contract at the same time?

Aru said that he was going to recover and then prepare the Vuelta. This year he can win and besides Nibali is Astana's man for the Tour.

When vino wants something, vino gets :D . Too bad if Aru goes to the Tour. He can't stand against the fresh Froome, Quintana and his teammate Nibali. If he goes to Vuelta, he has a great chance to win it. Quintana, Valverde and Purito has Tour leg. He will be fresh.

Froome can win anyway, and the rest as well, Valverde was really strong after to be 4th in Le Tour, and he won San Sebastian... 2 GT in a row are not a big problem if there is one month, for Froome would be not his first attemp Tour-Vuelta, first time is always a handicap.

if Aru go to the Tour is to help and learn, no more.

And miss the chance to win his first GT? He will be the only one who has a fresh leg. With Giro race under his belt, he got enough race days now on his leg (and I"m sure he'll be doing some other race prior to Vuelta). Nibali is still there for TDF, he can learn it next year.

Aru actually has that less race days he could be able to be fresh enough for the Tour after a short recover period. Especially if there's something new around to make it easier. The main danger is it could easily have a similar outcome like with Ricco in 2008.

Actually I don't understand Vino's approach. He should go to the Vuelta with Aru + Landa and win that race with one of them. Of course, the route of the Tour favors Aru's qualities as a rider. But Vino could just have found out that at the start of the year and could've told Nibali that the Giro favors him more. You know what I mean.

He has made a decision and should stick to it now. Angel still can learn at the Tour and maybe go for the polka dot like Pellizotti in 2016 after his aim for Giro.

damian13ster said:
Electress said:
hfer07 said:
staubsauger said:

Has Aru showed this Giro more than Landa to lead the team in the Vuelta? :confused: :confused:

Who drop Contador twice, who Contador was taking care of was Landa, not Aru.

So there is no doubt possible at the beggining, later, road will talk, and if Aru is stronger or Landa have some problems, he must be the leader with any doubt.

Pictures of his come back home (now he goes 4 days to Kazajistan invited by Vino)

http://elpedaldefrodo.com/imagenes-homenaje-a-mikel-landa-en-murgia/

IMG_1295.JPG

He started in the Club of that children... it shoud be emotive.

He said in recent interview he will be in the Vuelta looking GC.

One of the guys in the pictures is my friend (with his brother and a girl), He went in breakaways in juniors with Landa, Ion izaguirre, Gari Bravo (another big talent)..., and he train sometimes with Landa and tell me how is he.

I hope to see him in Burgos, becouse there is a doubt with Tour of Poland.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If Landa is (justifiably) sad because he wasn't given leadership when it might have enabled him to win the Giro, Sky is probably not the right choice. They have Froome, they have Porte, they have Geraint, and then they'll have some French rider Brailsford wants to win the Tour with.

His next contract is certainly not going to be huge, though. I think many managers will want to see him repeat this level of performance at least once before fully committing.

I think Landa in Finestre could have dropped even Quintana or Froome, but they are not very good in sterrato...and it was after some days saving energy, becouse his team dont allow him to attack.

But in a GT as the Tour, or even la Vuelta, n think Froome is stronger even climbing, at least now. We will see how is Landa with the age of Froome.

In La Vuelta we have Andorra, a really tough stage, and a longer and as well hard stage in Asturias that are similar at this year Giro Queen stages, and after the ITT in Burgos, there wiil be some stages to attack from far, so it will be an interesting Vuelta.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Randy rex said:
Who do you think would have been able to beat Landa in the mountains of last Giro among Gc riders who weren't present?
I'll tell you after the Tour!

If you don't want to answer right now maybe you should wait after the Vuelta where Landa will try to confirm his Giro.

Re:

Randy rex said:
Who do you think would have been able to beat Landa in the mountains of last Giro among Gc riders who weren't present?

Difficult to say, but Quintana was always a little better than Landa when Landa was in good shape, in Avenir, in Madrid, but Landa is a rider that could have moments of inspiration that maybe any other rider has in the climbs. Froome is an stronger rider, in this Giro maybe in Mortirolo Landa is better, not in the other climbs. Mortirolo is a climb for pure climbers.

The problem for Froome and SKY is that with similar strenth, Contador is more inteligent, and how how to handle to his rivals and how to hide his weakness, and Landa has not the experience of Contador but he is clever as well.

I am not saying in Sky are stupids, but the same in the past lot of people was worried just of some things, SKy now is too worried for things of the trac, thinks that give you a little advantage that today counts, but a good strategy in an stage is more important as we saw that stage in that Tirreno that Nibali won.

I think froome and his team dont know what is the weakness of contador or other rivals, they know just: in this era this rider can do 400 watt in half an hour, so.. let it go, we will chat hinm later... that could be dangerpus, cyclings are not computer.. in that way I admire Contador, but I dont like that later he manage to sell that as i am the best, anyone, cant beat me, my victories relation is amazing, I can be compared with anquetil and all that BS, when he has problems to beat people that Hinault will put 15 minutes far in a GC...

Sorry to mix things but everything is in relation.

So, to sum up, I thin Quintana and Fropome can beat him in the climbs and maybe the Nibali of 2 years ago in the Giro, but for that must be bad weather. Pinot maybe sometimes, or Purito in some stages, but I think that in a climb as Mortirolo just Quintana could beat him.

Re:

Randy rex said:

In a perfect world with all conditions met and if they would have targeted the Giro as their main peak, Froome, Quintana and Nibali. Landa wasn't extraordinary, the others were average including Contador but in his case it's understandable since he also wants Le Tour and struck the death blow in the ITT spending his time in the mountains defending.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Randy rex said:

Difficult to say, but Quintana was always a little better than Landa when Landa was in good shape, in Avenir, in Madrid, but Landa is a rider that could have moments of inspiration that maybe any other rider has in the climbs. Froome is an stronger rider, in this Giro maybe in Mortirolo Landa is better, not in the other climbs. Mortirolo is a climb for pure climbers.

The problem for Froome and SKY is that with similar strenth, Contador is more inteligent, and how how to handle to his rivals and how to hide his weakness, and Landa has not the experience of Contador but he is clever as well.

I am not saying in Sky are stupids, but the same in the past lot of people was worried just of some things, SKy now is too worried for things of the trac, thinks that give you a little advantage that today counts, but a good strategy in an stage is more important as we saw that stage in that Tirreno that Nibali won.

I think froome and his team dont know what is the weakness of contador or other rivals, they know just: in this era this rider can do 400 watt in half an hour, so.. let it go, we will chat hinm later... that could be dangerpus, cyclings are not computer.. in that way I admire Contador, but I dont like that later he manage to sell that as i am the best, anyone, cant beat me, my victories relation is amazing, I can be compared with anquetil and all that BS, when he has problems to beat people that Hinault will put 15 minutes far in a GC...

Sorry to mix things but everything is in relation.

So, to sum up, I thin Quintana and Fropome can beat him in the climbs and maybe the Nibali of 2 years ago in the Giro, but for that must be bad weather. Pinot maybe sometimes, or Purito in some stages, but I think that in a climb as Mortirolo just Quintana could beat him.

So you think he can't be compared to Anquetil and Hinault? If so, you're very wrong