• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
damian13ster said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Landa won't go to Sky. It makes no sense

It makes perfect sense. Froome will be defending TdF victory next season so with Porte gone Landa will be able to target Giro and/or Vuelta. Plus good salary, good support

He can have the same programme with Movistar and perhaps in contrast to Sky he can have more freedom.WIth Intxausti leaving and Valverde focussing on the classics he will have plenty of freedom. Sky has a bunch of cards they can play ( Thomas, Henao jr., Henao, Nieve, Poels, Konig, and soon Kwiatkowski)

Those guys are not better than Landa in GT. Great support though and good for classics. In Movistar I highly doubt that Valverde will give up a leadership in Vuelta anytime soon so that leaves only Giro for Landa (unless Quintana wants to ride 2 GTs per season, etc.) Plus weaker support.

damian13ster said:
Moviestar said:
damian13ster said:
Pantani Attacks said:

It makes perfect sense. Froome will be defending TdF victory next season so with Porte gone Landa will be able to target Giro and/or Vuelta. Plus good salary, good support

He can have the same programme with Movistar and perhaps in contrast to Sky he can have more freedom.WIth Intxausti leaving and Valverde focussing on the classics he will have plenty of freedom. Sky has a bunch of cards they can play ( Thomas, Henao jr., Henao, Nieve, Poels, Konig, and soon Kwiatkowski)

Those guys are not better than Landa in GT. Great support though and good for classics. In Movistar I highly doubt that Valverde will give up a leadership in Vuelta anytime soon so that leaves only Giro for Landa (unless Quintana wants to ride 2 GTs per season, etc.) Plus weaker support.

You don't have the guarantee that Landa will do well in the next GT's. Maybe he liked the special Astana potion :p
Look at Cobo for example. Yes that is going to be an issue but Unzue is keen on co-leaders in a GT. The last time Valverde started as sole leader in a GT is already 2 years back. With the support Sky has individually more qualities, but the strength of Movistar is the unity of the team, i don't think that will be a factor in the choice of Landa.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The rest of the Sky crew is so strong, they might not even need him to work at the Tour.

Also, as good a climber as he is, that Angliru record is as unbeatable as Pantani's Alpe.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I really hope to see Landa vs Froome but Sky will offer him a ton of money. We need to see the top GC guys battle each other not this super team bs.

Moviestar said:
damian13ster said:
Moviestar said:
damian13ster said:
Pantani Attacks said:

You don't have the guarantee that Landa will do well in the next GT's. Maybe he liked the special Astana potion :p
Look at Cobo for example. Yes that is going to be an issue but Unzue is keen on co-leaders in a GT. The last time Valverde started as sole leader in a GT is already 2 years back. With the support Sky has individually more qualities, but the strength of Movistar is the unity of the team, i don't think that will be a factor in the choice of Landa.

Cobo had the talent of Landa, maybe not so good in the hight mountains, but similar, but better rider for the flat. What IO mean is that he is not a marchante thjat depends of other things. I know this from people that was working in Saunier.

He was really good, but he fade mentally with the problems.. with Landa is similar, but there is one difference, Cobo didnt like cycling, it was just a work, Landa loves cycling.
both of them had bad luck with crashes and illeness like that.

Cobo wanst really a guarantee, but Landa just needed continuity and no problem, landa has been at the top level always that he has had that since junior, ALWAYS, cobo is different, he wanst a seriuos profesional, but he had a big level, very big engine, one of the best, able to win le Tour, I know what a lot of people think about him, but people in this case are wrong.

But Landa is not quintana, he is a point below, especially in the flat 8but maybe he can improve) but as well in the mountains, climbers as Quintana are not usual...

Of course Landa is one of those riders that need inspiration, and for that I think 1.5 millions is too much, but when he is ok just Quintana is better in the hight mountains...and in a Tour without a lot of mountains, maybe Froome is better as well climbing.

he need that inspiration that gebious need, but he will show always a very good level when he is withpout problems, that is for sure...It was amazing that 5 th in San sebastian, Froome and Contador cant do that, if that day he has a hard mountain stage he put 5 minutes to the second.

It makes sense with Porte moving on to BMC. He might get more chances at Sky. At Astana Nibali and Aru were the favoured riders. Konig will also get chances but he is still developing. Landa will be team leader in one of the GTs next year. Porte might get another shot at the Giro with a BMC.

Landa was yesterday invited to coment the stage in spanish TV with Perico and Carlos De Andrés.
He was asked for a lot of questions, by cycling fans and by Perico.

He was too diplomatic and a little bit submissive.

About his future, He wont be in Astana, he didnt say No, but he saidvery difficult, and he said Nibali will go on in Astana.

He said he just want a team to work all for him in le Giro, no more, he didnt mind money and Tour, Vuelta, etc...
he said Tour is a race too big for him, but after his Giro he has curiosity to go... but just to go once...not necessary in 2016.

About il Giro he said Astana got great results, they didnt know he will be so strong, he didnt know Contador wanst very strong and for the team the target was to be with Aru with the podium, that wasthe objetive, so they got...He didnt say anything about Alberto, nor bad nor good, he just say he was the rider that better handle the Giro , so he is the deserved winner.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
He also said Aru is (again) the team leader for La Vuelta.

Contract wise it's a logical thing. But i rather see them fighting it out on the road. If Landa is in top shape, he will be the most likely candidate to win it.

If he goes to Sky he'll be expected to spend at least one year as a domestique (as long as everyone is fit) before he gets a crack at a GT. He also needs to realise that he won't get a shot at the TdF unless Froome (and possibly G on this form) are both out.

Other than that, he's 25 and Sky are probably the team who can give him the best supporting cast and potentially the best help in areas he might be lacking, like the TTT and ITT.

Re:

Arredondo said:

Contract wise it's a logical thing. But i rather see them fighting it out on the road. If Landa is in top shape, he will be the most likely candidate to win it.

Yes I came to edit and add that, I forgot to say the team has said Aru will be the leader, and that he will be there like in the Giro. perico insisted he must hit the table and to say he must be leader, but he said things are like that and he is not oing to contradit his team.

We will see, if Aru is stronger he must be the leader, but andorra will put everyone in his level, becouse is a hard stage.

Aru is a stronger ITT rider, but Landa has changed his position in TT bike and he said he can improve something.
he said he want a team that wont depends on him (so i understand with strong riders than him, but he can lead the team in the Giro, and he had the possibility to know new races as Ardennes, and later the Tour, just to see how he work out in a race like le Tour.

Taxus4a said:
Arredondo said:

Yes I came to edit and add that, I forgot to say the team has said Aru will be the leader, and that he will be there like in the Giro. perico insisted he must hit the table and to say he must be leader, but he said things are like that and he is not oing to contradit his team.

We will see, if Aru is stronger he must be the leader, but andorra will put everyone in his level, becouse is a hard stage.

Aru is a stronger ITT rider, but Landa has changed his position in TT bike and he said he can improve something.
he said he want a team that wont depends on him (so i understand with strong riders than him, but he can lead the team in the Giro, and he had the possibility to know new races as Ardennes, and later the Tour, just to see how he work out in a race like le Tour.

Sky would be perfect for that.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Miburo said:
I wonder how landa would have done? I think he definitely could have stayed with quintana.

If our numbers on Froome are correct (6.09 or whatever) then Froome wasn't as extrodinary as we thnik. AC, Nibali has both produced those numbers in the past, Landa in this years giro wouldn't have been far off.

Why Sky could be good for him imagine what he could do with the skytrain at full steam.

MatParker117 said:
Miburo said:
I wonder how landa would have done? I think he definitely could have stayed with quintana.

If our numbers on Froome are correct (6.09 or whatever) then Froome wasn't as extrodinary as we thnik. AC, Nibali has both produced those numbers in the past, Landa in this years giro wouldn't have been far off.

Why Sky could be good for him imagine what he could do with the skytrain at full steam.
He would make Froome his *** :D

Landa was yesterday guest commentator in Teledeporte, and he was asked about his future this season and next season. Some interesting things he said:
He feels better racing in spring than later in the season, so his priority is to be in a team that gives him leadership for the Giro and the chance to race Ardennes classics. The Tour is still too big for him, so not top priority in the short term; maybe one year later. The Vuelta is too late in the season and is difficult for him to be as good as in last Giro. And finally... Astana will repeat their silly tactics of the Giro next month in the Vuelta, Aru will be the team leader no matter what.

Miburo said:

I know well as cycliist from several years to Landa, and I repeat again, Landa is similar rider than Quintana, but a point below.

But this kind of comparations are difficul, yesterday was the forst mounatins stage and just one climb, with tail wind,good conditions to performe..hot, but froome and quintana are very good with hot, as Nibali is with rain...

Froome is not a pure climber, so the best performances in the climbs wont be made for him, but for people as Quintana, Purito, Landa, etc...but for a stage like yesterday is not a question of climbers, is the stronger of the race who is going to climb better, becouse everybody has in the lesgs the previous week and the rest flat of the stage.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
I know well as cycliist from several years to Landa, and I repeat again, Landa is similar rider than Quintana, but a point below.
Things change. Before the Giro, Landa had never shown absolutely elite climbing. Hell, Froome was an unknown at Landa's and Quintana's age with zero indication he would one day become the best climber in the modern era of the sport.

Landa may well be a stronger climber than Quintana going forward.