• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
i think people are now overhyping landa if they think he will drop a top froome or quintana.

even his best performances in vam and w/kg this giro don't even come close to top level froome/quintana records..

Wait, didn't you already know he's the second coming of Messiah?

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
i think people are now overhyping landa if they think he will drop a top froome or quintana.

even his best performances in vam and w/kg this giro don't even come close to top level froome/quintana records..

That kind of comparations has no sense, maybe landa has better VAMs in other races or training... a VAm is just the speed yoiu get climbig, that is affected for a lot of circusntances..

As I said, I think Froome and Quintana are stronger than Landa, maybe you must read better. At the moment they have a big advantage respect him.

As I said Maybe in Mortirolo just Quintana could be stronger, but iof you put landa in ventoux, Quintana and Froome were stronger... you cant compare races and situasions, is stupid, and the VAm depends a lot on the wind.

You can do an average in similar races qith similar conditions, and get some conclusions, no more.

Re: Re:

thesrick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

He is a very normal guy, and as I said Quintana is a better climber.

Other weaker riders, yes, it looks like if we have here the Messiah :rolleyes: ;)

May 18, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
thesrick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

He is a very normal gay, and as I said Quintana is a better climber.

Other weaker riders, yes, it looks like if we have here the Messiah :rolleyes: ;)
Go ahead say it, "Contador", we all know what you mean :rolleyes:

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
55726bd9e4209.JPG

Landa's arrival to Astana, Kazakhstan - http://vesti.kz/astana/205401/
http://www.sports.kz/news/mikele-landa-schastliv-chto-smog-dobitsya-takogo-vpechatlyayuschego-rezultata

It is his usual calendar. this year the possibility of Poland was there. I am happy he is in my land.

This year Burgos has another mountain finish, a stage that start in my town , Belorado, has one important climb in the route, wind, hot, some samll climbs and finally finish in Sierra de la Demanda in the sky resort valle del sol (Pineda de la sierra) 3,4 km quite hard, about 8 % average, especially at the begining, plus than 15 %.

He was 5 th in San Sebastian and 3rd in Neila with this calendar. He was younger, now he is stronger, but difficult to repeat that 5th place in san Sebastian, it was a superb result compared to drop Contador in Finestre for him, becouse is not the best race for him, and the people that came from le Tour are stronger.

My friend Dolomitico will be happy to know he has been mentioned here, He is a big fan of Landa, he got the maillot of Landa in a draw in an spanish web I was helping in 2010

http://elpedaldefrodo.com/sorteo-maillot-euskaltel-euskaltel-de-mikel-landa/

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
His idol is Iban Mayo, I always like him but now I really have to cher for him. :)

I know what he think about Mayo, and I dont want to say here, but as well as me, Mayo was his idol, it is normal, Mayo is a climber, he was the idol of the basque country cycling fans, and Igorre and Murguia are 22 km straith away.

Landa is similar on the bike to Mayo, agressive. Not the same out of the bike.

But they belong to different eras, so from that there are a lot of differences.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Landa, who finished second in the Giro d'Italia in May, has been on Brailsford's and Team Sky's radar for several years and despite L'Equipe reporting today that Movistar have offered the Basque rider 1.5 million Euro, Cyclingnews has been told by one source close to Team Sky that the rider is set to sign for them.

I'm interpreting this as Porte going. If Landa gets even better at Sky, even Froome needs to watch out. He might no longer be the best climber in the world, or his own team. :eek:

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Landa, who finished second in the Giro d'Italia in May, has been on Brailsford's and Team Sky's radar for several years and despite L'Equipe reporting today that Movistar have offered the Basque rider 1.5 million Euro, Cyclingnews has been told by one source close to Team Sky that the rider is set to sign for them.

I'm interpreting this as Porte going. If Landa gets even better at Sky, even Froome needs to watch out. He might no longer be the best climber in the world, or his own team. :eek:

Hard to tell what Landa will do at Sky.You have Nieve example and he's not doing too great.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
1.5 million is pretty good. If I were a rider I think I'd do everything to be able to be a super good climber in Grand Tours. Eat and sleep properly, train hard (harder even than prescribed by the team), slim down, used modern technology etc. It pays.

Of course if you have an offer of 1.5 million an another of 700000, you have to take seriously the fisrt one, but for landa money is not the most important.

Movistar is an spanish team, from Navarra, so close to his home and it will be a good choice as they looks quite intertesting on him... with Beñat and Amador out maybe there is a place for him. they were in the past as well interested on him.

It is not an easy choice when you can get less money an not very strong team, but you will be the leader, or to be in an strong team with other people more important, but with a good team and lees presion, and more money.

Yes, serius sam, he has worked very hard to be here, but luck is not always with you...but he is lucky he has a big talent, and with that everything is easy, becouse he get in good sahpe quicky, it is the same for Quintana, Contador, Valverde,... they have that capacity...

i would like to know you and introduce you Landa and to be with him one week, and you will change you mind about him for sure, becouse you have the opossite image as he is.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I really hope Landa doesn't go to Sky. Really bad for cycling. Because this is a guy who potentially can drop Froome in the climbs next year.

damian13ster said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Landa won't go to Sky. It makes no sense

It makes perfect sense. Froome will be defending TdF victory next season so with Porte gone Landa will be able to target Giro and/or Vuelta. Plus good salary, good support

He can have the same programme with Movistar and perhaps in contrast to Sky he can have more freedom.WIth Intxausti leaving and Valverde focussing on the classics he will have plenty of freedom. Sky has a bunch of cards they can play ( Thomas, Henao jr., Henao, Nieve, Poels, Konig, and soon Kwiatkowski)