Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JRanton said:
Sky and Landa were riding a bit too far back for my liking. You'll get caught out at some stage riding like that.

Has anyone heard why Kiryienka isn't in the team?
Haven't seen Landa at all in the peloton in the last 2 days, though he has finished in the bunch both times.

No idea r.e. Kiryienka.
 
therealthing said:
JRanton said:
Sky and Landa were riding a bit too far back for my liking. You'll get caught out at some stage riding like that.

Has anyone heard why Kiryienka isn't in the team?
Haven't seen Landa at all in the peloton in the last 2 days, though he has finished in the bunch both times.

No idea r.e. Kiryienka.
Landa's been behind Knees all the time, who is huge, which is why he's very hard to spot in the bunch! But yes, too far back in the bunch which means disaster awaits at some stage unless you get very lucky.
 
JRanton said:
Sky and Landa were riding a bit too far back for my liking. You'll get caught out at some stage riding like that.

Has anyone heard why Kiryienka isn't in the team?

I said this would be a problem ...but no its all about the mountains on here ..when there are only 3 big MTN stage and Landa can manage that himself

Also Nieve hasn't looked great ...way down the back...I know he doesn't need to be up the front but way down the back and his TT makes me ask about his form..in fact 4 sky riders behind the splits twice today and they weren't even working

BTW Roche is not in team to mind Landa on the flat ...that is knees and lopez... followed by boswell

Problem is Viviani needs help in flat stages but also cannot give help
 
Landa said after the TT that with his time-trialling the way it is, the Chianti ITT will play into his favour. I couldn't tell if he was saying it's a good TT for him to limit his losses or for him to gain time. If the latter then I think he may be getting a bit too confident, especially against hilly TT beasts like Nibali and Bala
 
Re:

Brullnux said:
Landa said after the TT that with his time-trialling the way it is, the Chianti ITT will play into his favour. I couldn't tell if he was saying it's a good TT for him to limit his losses or for him to gain time. If the latter then I think he may be getting a bit too confident, especially against hilly TT beasts like Nibali and Bala

Landa: "Se a crono vado così, la tappa del Chianti è a mio favore"

He didnt say that if you heard the interview.. he said that chianti is different and if he is like that it i a better ITT for him to lose time.


I hope Landa keep this gopod moment all the Giro becoue he is a magic rider. Sky protected him these days very well and he even got top 40 positions at the end.

But despite his good moment and that he is for me the favourite if he is inspired, I wouldnt be surprised if he lose time in an stage like 5th, this wednesday, but I hope no, and likely he wont lose time with that strong team and his current good feeling with the race. But in that kind of stages is where he play his Giro.
 
Had expected a bigger loss to the likes of Nibali and Valverde. Great first TT by Landa, I am amazed by danish commentators making him out to be one of the losers on that particular stage..

So what do we think he looses to those 2 in Chianti, is Nibali or Valverde better? I think they are about equal in such a TT, I give Nibali a slight edge, but not more. Landa will probably lose 2 minutes, maybe more, hopefully more so he needs to make it up in Corvara.
 
He looked very weak there although thankfully Roche (I think) closed the gap for him and got him out of jail.

He was well positioned at the start of the climb so unless there was some other problem it was bad legs that caused the gap to open.

How hot was it today? Landa has said he sometimes struggles in the heat.
 
JRanton said:
He looked very weak there although thankfully Roche (I think) closed the gap for him and got him out of jail.

He was well positioned at the start of the climb so unless there was some other problem it was bad legs that caused the gap to open.

How hot was it today? Landa has said he sometimes struggles in the heat.
I thought he was quite badly positioned going into the climb, he was far back when Pozzovivo attacked. Good thing he got back in.

In fact, I haven't seen Sky on the front much this Giro so far- need to be careful or they could miss attacks.
 
therealthing said:
JRanton said:
He looked very weak there although thankfully Roche (I think) closed the gap for him and got him out of jail.

He was well positioned at the start of the climb so unless there was some other problem it was bad legs that caused the gap to open.

How hot was it today? Landa has said he sometimes struggles in the heat.
I thought he was quite badly positioned going into the climb, he was far back when Pozzovivo attacked. Good thing he got back in.

In fact, I haven't seen Sky on the front much this Giro so far- need to be careful or they could miss attacks.
No, he was pretty well placed, in about 20th-25th position before Pozzovivo (who had to move up past Landa) attacked.

It was a lack of strength, not positioning, that caused the gap to open.
 
The funny thing about that is the fact that Landa's two stage wins have been on kinda similar climbs.. thats what puzzles me a bit. However, its the day after a 'rest day' with 3 flat stages in NL, not exactly his speciality.

Pretty confident that he will be among the 5 best on Thursday. Gotta peak between stages 13-16.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The funny thing about that is the fact that Landa's two stage wins have been on kinda similar climbs.. thats what puzzles me a bit. However, its the day after a 'rest day' with 3 flat stages in NL, not exactly his speciality.

Pretty confident that he will be among the 5 best on Thursday. Gotta peak between stages 13-16.
uff, cyclig wasnt work like that... wich stages you mean?

Zoncolan si a climb that doesnt suit Rogers at all, but he won there...

If you think that to be the best of a break in a climb as Aia, with the help of taaramae means that aia suits Landa you are very wrong... he is good in climbs like Agnello, Lombarda, or Here, not in a hilly stage mostly flats, with forst hour at 51 Km/h...or you thinks it is a question of a climb?

it is not just the kind of climb, it is the whole stage, and it is the team work.. b ut he and the tweam where ok anyway, not super, but ok... for Landa is very important he didnt lose time now, and he must be very happy.

He doesnt have a team so strong like Astana, but in the mountains he will have Nieve to play a role. Comparing the rest teams I think SKY is similar.
 
Im talking about he won in Pais Vasco and Trentino on little longer and harder climbs and then today seemingly was in trouble, I also explained it by it might have something to do with the start of the Giro since Landa is a pure climber. Nevertheless I was a little surprised to see him struggling since he is very capable on those kinda climbs
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Im talking about he won in Pais Vasco and Trentino on little longer and harder climbs and then today seemingly was in trouble, I also explained it by it might have something to do with the start of the Giro since Landa is a pure climber. Nevertheless I was a little surprised to see him struggling since he is very capable on those kinda climbs
In Pais vasco is was an special stage for him that he designed, so he know exactly what to do in every moment of that stage. It was anyway a 3 Km hard climb, no 1.5 . Todday the stage was for the coast, with cross winds.

In trentino the stage he won as far as I know was a mountain tage, today this was a medium mountain stage, better, just a hilly stage, as some people of this forum though Kittel keep the maglia...

But anyway, a rider can be very good in an short climb, but if he is bad positined at the botton it is very easy to cut. Today at the front where astana and Movistar mainly...so if you are not at the front in the flat, in the descents, you will be cut in the climbs, for that reason dometiques for this kind of tage are so important. Landa doenst need anybody in a stage with 3 HC, but today yes.. Anyway, he was ok, Uran was at the back as well, and he didt loetiime,., and if he lose today 20 seconds is no very important. and tomorrow he could lose that time if the last 20 km are full gas and his team is not super. No big problem, much better for the race...
 
Landa lost 20 minutes in Cumbre del sol. He wanst in so good shape and so motivated as now, with a team protected him, but he wasok as he showed days later in Andorra. It was an stage with some flat at the seacost, and with 2 hard and quite short climbs...Today the stage was better for him, more hilly, but anyway, similar kind of stage...This kind of stages is where he can lose the Giro.

it is not a question of cumbre del sol is similñar to his victory in Pais Vasco, even harder and longer...so I dont inderstand he lose time there...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts