• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

kingjr said:
SeriousSam said:
therealthing said:
What's the point anymore? Can't watch a race without some external factor messing everything up. The Giro is over for me how- Quintana will obviously win. We should not have to stand for these motos. Peloton needs to protest: refuse to race or something until they sort this crap out.

Let's not pretend Landa was likely to challenge Quintana.
This. And neither was Thomas for that matter.
9912ppo.gif

BigMac said:
kingjr said:
SeriousSam said:
therealthing said:
What's the point anymore? Can't watch a race without some external factor messing everything up. The Giro is over for me how- Quintana will obviously win. We should not have to stand for these motos. Peloton needs to protest: refuse to race or something until they sort this crap out.

9912ppo.gif
What was the point then, enlighten me.

kingjr said:
BigMac said:
kingjr said:
SeriousSam said:
therealthing said:

9912ppo.gif

It certainly wasn't (just) about Thomas or Landa being contenders, but the motorbikes influencing race results, whatever they might be. And you didn't know for sure they were not gonna be up there.

BigMac said:
kingjr said:

It certainly wasn't (just) about Thomas or Landa being contenders, but the motorbikes influencing race results, whatever they might be. And you didn't know for sure they were not gonna be up there.
The bolded is key. The other part is something that obviously everybody agrees with. Of course I don't know for sure, but expected Top 5 for Landa at best. I think he's been overhyped since the Giro 2015.

kingjr said:
BigMac said:
kingjr said:

The bolded is key. The other part is something that obviously everybody agrees with. Of course I don't know for sure, but expected Top 5 for Landa at best. I think he's been overhyped since the Giro 2015.
You're right in a sense. But, even in the Vuelta 2015, he was one of the strongest while he was working for Aru in the last 2 weeks. The only problem is that the bad luck keeps hitting him since he joined Sky. He said he was feeling very good yesterday so we cant say he wouldn't follow Quintana today.

kingjr said:
BigMac said:
kingjr said:

Why wouldn't he be over hyped after his 2015 Giro ride ?

kingjr said:
SeriousSam said:
therealthing said:

Ok Landa wasn't too impressive lately but he was super motivated here: last year contract,huge competition for leadership at Sky.Maybe not good enough for an overall challenge,but who knows.Thomas on the other end was at his best ever,actually I was expecting him to be the main challenger for Quintana.

movingtarget said:
kingjr said:
BigMac said:
kingjr said:

Why wouldn't he be over hyped after his 2015 Giro ride ?
He hasn't done anything great before or since.I found it strange that he was so good then and wasn't suprised he hasn't shown anything like it since.

I do not believe the crash was such a big deal. The real problem is this ho hum Giro was insanely overhyped as the better alternative to the tour. Tom Dumoulin is and always was this GT's only chance to be interesting.

I would like to see Landa and Thomas drop out and prepare to join the TDF mountain train so people can go back to claiming they are worldbeaters and that evil Sky spends so much money and they take all the tier 1 GC prospects

BigMac said:

Agreed, for the record I don't think Thomas or Landa would beat Quintana in this Giro anyway, but they could have been fighting for the podium. Plus they surely deserved better than what happened today thanks to someone's incompetence.

Only bad thing today was what happened to Mikel Landa, your typical Basque climber, always opportunistic and looking for opportunities to attack. Great loss for the race. His performance today was what was the most exciting to me going into Blockhaus, I think he could have stayed with Quintana. Then again Im probably just a fanboy. Well, maybe he couldn't, but I think he would have been great.

Pity, such a shame. Hopefully he will change team (not that Sky has done anything wrong this Giro or are to blame).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Only bad thing today was what happened to Mikel Landa, your typical Basque climber, always opportunistic and looking for opportunities to attack. Great loss for the race. His performance today was what was the most exciting to me going into Blockhaus, I think he could have stayed with Quintana. Then again Im probably just a fanboy. Well, maybe he couldn't, but I think he would have been great.

Pity, such a shame. Hopefully he will change team (not that Sky has done anything wrong this Giro or are to blame).
Yeah the 2 times Landa was expected to perform at last year's and this year's Giro he failed due to external circumstances. I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't fit in with the team.

therealthing said:
Valv.Piti said:

Yeah the 2 times Landa was expected to perform at last year's and this year's Giro he failed due to external circumstances. I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't fit in with the team.

Hopefully Landa isn't too badly injured, can recover and give it a crack on the remaining mountain stages.