• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Porte, Contador and Aru can just about hang on whilst the climbing is still short and easy and he does all the work on the front. Once we hit the real mountains, Landa is going to show everyone.

He has a supertalent to climb, but he is not strong in the flat, so it is difficult that way to win a grand Tour. He could do it, but if there is a different situaction playing to his favour.. I said here before Giro started that Landa will be the best climber some days, but he is a totally diferent rider than Froome.

I dont know if he can improve in ITT or in general but is nice just like this.

Otrer thing to have into consideration is that Astana is here not to win the Giro, but to win the Giro with Aru, the same as Saxo is here to win the Giro with Contador, not with other rider.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Porte, Contador and Aru can just about hang on whilst the climbing is still short and easy and he does all the work on the front. Once we hit the real mountains, Landa is going to show everyone.

I think he is going to fade in the last week and he will also lose a lot of time in the TT. Astana should send him out on a long range attack before the TT to put pressure on Tinkoff-Saxo/Contador.

Man, calling Landa a Froome is a no... Always know he's a good climber, to me he's always the biggest climbing potential in Euskaltel last years despite all the Izagirres-will-podium-GTs hype, but he grows so steadily slow, and I believe he will never be a good TT-ist ever, so nothing's Froomey. Yes he looks a bit too strong so far in this Giro, but at least let's wait until the real mountains

Re:

gunara said:
Man, calling Landa a Froome is a no... Always know he's a good climber, to me he's always the biggest climbing potential in Euskaltel last years despite all the Izagirres-will-podium-GTs hype, but he grows so steadily slow, and I believe he will never be a good TT-ist ever, so nothing's Froomey. Yes he looks a bit too strong so far in this Giro, but at least let's wait until the real mountains
Who the hell was saying the Izagirres would podium GTs? Ion was always the most rounded young talent to come out of the Euskaltel auction and, to me, the star attraction in the lot, but Landa was always going to be the top young climber. He just isn't all-round enough.

He sure isn't a Froome. Lagunas de Neila proves that.

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
gunara said:
Who the hell was saying the Izagirres would podium GTs? Ion was always the most rounded young talent to come out of the Euskaltel auction and, to me, the star attraction in the lot, but Landa was always going to be the top young climber. He just isn't all-round enough.

He sure isn't a Froome. Lagunas de Neila proves that.

Some people said that, Libertine, and I didn't specifically say in this forum. But I remember once hearing people speaking about Ion, and also Gorka, as the next gc men. I agree Ion is the bigger star than Landa, then and now, I just tried to say that nothing is too shocking about Landa climbed that well, unlike when Froome did.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Astana should of send him up the road today, to try to gain maglia rosa and put some pressure on Contador/Porte. But Aru is apparently afraid of Uran's ITT and he used Landa to gain time on him

Cance > TheRest said:
phil-i-am said:
New Roberto Heras?
No not possible. The world will never see a climber like Heras ;)
As for the question, none. Why the new trend of starting an individual thread each time a semi-known rider lands a good performance?

Of course Landa has much more natural talent to climb that Heras or Mayo.
He is not good for Tours except Trentino, Cataluña, without ITT.
amyway I was surprised about he didnt losed time in the TTT, I think he didnt push, he was protected, but he could hold the pace in a good performance by his team.

Re:

gunara said:

You can count the number of times in his first 4 years as a pro when he performed well against top level opposition in high mountains on 1 hand.

His "steady slow" growth resulted in him being the only one capable of following the 3 best riders so far after 1 season with Astana.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Cance > TheRest said:
phil-i-am said:
New Roberto Heras?
As for the question, none. Why the new trend of starting an individual thread each time a semi-known rider lands a good performance?

amyway I was surprised about he didnt losed time in the TTT, I think he didnt push, he was protected, but he could hold the pace in a good performance by his team.

Much more talent than Heras?! You're going too far my friend ;)

Re: Mikel Landa

Sure he's no Heras but impressive lad.Too bad he seems to be in Froome's situation in Vuelta.He is the strongest rider at the moment,but forced to work for Aru.If Aru will crack later or have an abysmal performance in the ITT the team may regret not let him loose.

Mr.White said:
Taxus4a said:
Cance > TheRest said:
phil-i-am said:
New Roberto Heras?

Much more talent than Heras?! You're going too far my friend ;)

Santiago Blanco, as well from Bejar, was more talented than Heras. Or you mean performance in those times? No, Landa is not going to do that time of Heras in Angliru, nor Mayo in Mt. Ventoux. I am talking about talent, today Quintana has more talent to climb than Landa, and Pinot and Aru similar, I mean to climb, in a GT there are a lot of things to do that have its influence, not just climb.

Re: Mikel Landa

Landa was impresive from junior.

His best results before this year as pro:

2010, Avenir

1. COL QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander CEP 5h44'31" 8
2. USA TALANSKY Andrew - 39" 4
3. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel ORB 39" 2
4. COL ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin CEP 41" 0
5. NED SLAGTER Tom-Jelte RB3 43" 0

2011, Neila, working:

1. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel EUS 4h00'20" 25
2. ESP COBO ACEBO Juan Jose GEO 03" 15 (he won a month later Vuelta a España to Froome and Wiggo)
3. ESP RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquim KAT 12" 10
4. ESP MORENO FERNANDEZ Daniel KAT 17" 5
5. FRA JEANDESBOZ Fabrice SAU 33" 3
6. COL ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin CEP 01'10" 0
7. ESP SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 01'14" 0
8. ESP NIEVE ITURRALDE Mikel EUS 01'28"

GP Miguel Indurain

1. ESP MORENO FERNANDEZ Daniel KAT 4h54'34" 140
2. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel EUS 02" 84
3. ESP MADRAZO RUIZ Angel MOV 07" 70
4. POR COSTA Rui Alberto Faria MOV 07" 6

Madrid, Morcuera.

1. RUS FIRSANOV Sergey RVL 4h39'59" 20
2. COL QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander MOV 01'51" 10
3. ESP BELDA MIRA Jose - 01'59" 5 (eliminated of cycling later for 2 positives, well know in the cycling world)
4. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel EUS 02'07" 3 16 sec behind Quintana, landa attacked before)
5. FRA DI GREGORIO Rémy COF 02'09" 0
6. COL PARRA PINTO Ivan Ramiro EPM 02'29"
7. FRA MONCOUTIE David COF 02'40"

11/08/2013 2.HC Esp 6 Vuelta a Burgos 68

1. COL QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander MOV 19h29'22" 160
2. ESP ARROYO DURAN David CJR 23" 120
3. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo AST 55" 100
4. ITA CARUSO Giampaolo KAT 01'14" 84
5. POR CARDOSO Andre Fernando Santos Martins CJR 01'16" 74
6. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel EUS 01'24" 68
7. RUS CHERNETSKIY Sergey KAT 01'29" 62
8. ESP SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 01'53" 56
9. COL SARMIENTO TUNARROSA Cayetano Jose CAN 02'07" 50
10. ITA BASSO Ivan CAN 02'17" 44

27/07/2013 1.WT2 Esp 6 Clasica San Sebastian 76

1. FRA GALLOPIN Tony RLT 5h39'02" 220
2. ESP VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro MOV 28" 132
3. CZE KREUZIGER Roman TST 28" 112
4. ESP NIEVE ITURRALDE Mikel EUS 28" 96
5. IRL ROCHE Nicolas TST 29" 86
6. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel EUS 36" 76
7. ITA MOSER Moreno CAN 51" 66
8. BEL SERRY Pieter OPQ 51" 58
9. NED MOLLEMA Bauke BEL 51" 52

12/05/2013 2.1 Esp 2 Vuelta a Asturias 80

12/05/2013 2.1s Esp 2 Vuelta a Asturias, Stage 2 : Subida al Naranco 10
11/05/2013 2.1s Esp 3 Vuelta a Asturias, Stage 1 : Las Segadas - Pola de Lena 5
4/05/2013 1.1 Esp 2 Vuelta a la Comunidad de Madrid

La Gallina, Vuelta a España

1. ITA RATTO Daniele CAN 4h24'00" 70
2. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo AST 03'53" 40
3. USA HORNER Chris RLT 03'55" 25
4. ESP RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquim KAT 04'11" 15
5. ESP SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 04'19" 10
6. ESP VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro MOV 04'43" 7
7. FRA PINOT Thibaut FDJ 04'46" 5
8. ITA POZZOVIVO Domenico ALM 04'46" 3
9. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel EUS 05'17" 2
10. CZE KÖNIG Leopold TNE 05'21" 1
11. EST KANGERT Tanel AST 05'27" 0
12. ESP NIEVE ITURRALDE Mikel EUS 05'33"

He finished La Vuelta, working, 39.

2014, he started with Astana after euskaltel finish.

Arrate:

1. NED POELS Wout OPQ 3h39'29" 45
2. ESP VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro MOV 01" 28
3. ESP SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel BMC 01" 18
4. NED SLAGTER Tom-Jelte GRS 03" 10
5. NED MOLLEMA Bauke BEL 03" 5
6. RUS TROFIMOV Yury KAT 03" 3
7. AUS EVANS Cadel BMC 03" 2
8. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel AST 03" 1
9. ITA CUNEGO Damiano LAM 03" 0
10. ESP CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto TCS 03" 0
11. FRA PERAUD Jean-Christophe ALM 03" 0
12. USA VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC 03" 0
13. FRA PINOT Thibaut FDJ 03" 0

Monte Bondone, Trentino.

1. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel AST 4h49'39" 25
2. RSA MEINTJES Louis MTN 10" 15
3. ITA PELLIZOTTI Franco AND 35" 10
4. POL NIEMIEC Przemyslaw LAM 41" 5
5. AUS EVANS Cadel BMC 41" 3
6. COL DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres COL 41" 0
7. ITA POZZOVIVO Domenico ALM 46" 0
8. ITA SCARPONI Michele AST 46" 0
9. POR MACHADO Tiago Jose Pinto TNE 49" 0
10. ITA ARU Fabio AST 49" 0
11. GBR WIGGINS Bradley SKY 01'04"

Neila,

1. COL QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander MOV 4h27'34" 25
2. ESP MORENO FERNANDEZ Daniel KAT 06" 15
3. ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel AST 10" 10
4. ESP ARROYO DURAN David CJR 19" 5
5. SLO BRAJKOVIC Janez AST 35" 3
6. ITA TIRALONGO Paolo AST 41" 0

He has done always bad ITTs, last year Vuelta a Burgos, he was a short one, with one 2 km climb not hard, he did 73, far from other climbers as Quintana, Pardilla,.. although he put some seconds on Arroyo. I was talking with Landa the first day and he told me he didnt care about the ITT, just Neila, and later he crashed that first stage in Burgos Castle, so he lose any option for the GC. I dont know really if that day he has the enougth motivation.

His best ITT have been in the basque country, 41 last year and 31 this year with Aia, but they are really hard ITT. In ann ITT you need the motivation of GC or the stage, I dont know really if he had becouse in both of them he was working and with a good ITT as much a top ten in GC.

He was 81 last year in the Giro ITT, and he lost 6.40 with Uran in a shorter and harder ITT. But that Giro he crashed and he was just helping the team after the crash.

TRENDING THREADS