• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I see your point, and I don't claim he isn't talented climber, he really is, and I don't say that because of this Giro, I know that for a long time. But Roberto Heras was worlds top climber, and I mean THE top climber, in a span of 5-6 years, better than Armstrong, better than Simoni, Beloki, Ullrich, Mayo, etc. With EPO or without it. To say Landa is more talented than him, well..., he needs to produce some very big results

I just put that becouse this is Landa threadt o have a reference of his carrer.

I am not going to dicuss some terms that I think are not allowed here, but to be talented is not a question of results or performance. All we know then palmares of those riders you writted, but we dont know his talent.

I will continue that in the clinic in an specific thread.

Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Mr.White said:
Taxus4a said:
Cance > TheRest said:
phil-i-am said:
New Roberto Heras?
No not possible. The world will never see a climber like Heras ;)
As for the question, none. Why the new trend of starting an individual thread each time a semi-known rider lands a good performance?

Of course Landa has much more natural talent to climb that Heras or Mayo.
He is not good for Tours except Trentino, Cataluña, without ITT.
amyway I was surprised about he didnt losed time in the TTT, I think he didnt push, he was protected, but he could hold the pace in a good performance by his team.

Much more talent than Heras?! You're going too far my friend ;)

Santiago Blanco, as well from Bejar, was more talented than Heras. Or you mean performance in those times? No, Landa is not going to do that time of Heras in Angliru, nor Mayo in Mt. Ventoux. I am talking about talent, today Quintana has more talent to climb than Landa, and Pinot and Aru similar, I mean to climb, in a GT there are a lot of things to do that have its influence, not just climb.
Your post makes no sense

Cance > TheRest said:
Taxus4a said:
[quote="

amyway I was surprised about he didnt losed time in the TTT, I think he didnt push, he was protected, but he could hold the pace in a good performance by his team.

Santiago Blanco, as well from Bejar, was more talented than Heras. Or you mean performance in those times? No, Landa is not going to do that time of Heras in Angliru, nor Mayo in Mt. Ventoux. I am talking about talent, today Quintana has more talent to climb than Landa, and Pinot and Aru similar, I mean to climb, in a GT there are a lot of things to do that have its influence, not just climb.[/quote]
Your post makes no sense[/quote]

I tried to explain my point here:

[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29402]viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29402

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Mr.White said:
Taxus4a said:
Cance > TheRest said:
phil-i-am said:
New Roberto Heras?
No not possible. The world will never see a climber like Heras ;)
As for the question, none. Why the new trend of starting an individual thread each time a semi-known rider lands a good performance?

No, Landa is not going to do that time of Heras in Angliru, nor Mayo in Mt. Ventoux.
I wouldn't be so sure. He already bested 1994 Gewiss Berzin.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
I just put that becouse this is Landa threadt o have a reference of his carrer.

I am not going to dicuss some terms that I think are not allowed here, but to be talented is not a question of results or performance. All we know then palmares of those riders you writted, but we dont know his talent.

I will continue that in the clinic in an specific thread.

Ah, but you base theory "both Landa and Blanco are more talented than Heras" on..... results and performance too. Before they turned pro basically.
As for expectations, yeah, Blanco was regarded as the next big thing when he turned pro, Heras wasn't. Still doesn't say anything about their talent, just about their performance and results in the lower ranks.

Re:

hfer07 said:
Really Surprised about his current performance in Il Giro- perhaps he's a rough diamond ready to be polished with the proper care. Landa brings yet another new face in the cycling scene to pay attention to and follow his progress/results.

He is not a diamond to be polished as Froome was, he just needed good luck and continuity. He has always showed his potential when health and injuries has not been a problem.

But he is in an age to learn and improve year by year.

I hope when he lose with Uran is he is well about 8 minutes in the ITT nodody change his mind.

When you are into such strong team, everything is easy as well.
Other way if tomorrow there are echelons, he is out...

Taxus4a said:
irondan said:
0 GT's.. He will never climb fast enough to make up for the time he loses in the ITT.
I have never thought in him more than a Volta cataluña or trentino winer, or a great climber for some days, but when someone is so good at climbing, he could be an interesting rider.

About the other point there is anorther part of the forum where I explained my view.
Okay.. I was answering the thread question though.

Re:

del1962 said:
I am expecting a decent time trial, just over two minutes behind the winner, (I assume it is 2 minutes between riders and he will be following the winner about 10ks into the race)

5-10 minutes, I hope 6, but will be difficult, likely 7-8, and that becouse he is on top form, without pressure and enyoying cycling. Other way I would say 10 minutes, it depend as well how do the first

One of the problems with Landa is how to handle pressure. for him is well not to be in euskaltel, becouse basque press do pressure. This winter he went to mediterranean coast to relax, he was in an bad animic moment, he trained a lot, long trainings.

He didnt have continuity for crashes, and in the basque country everybody expect a lot for him, I think is similar for Yates brothers in GB, and that way they left SKY.

He must no worried about what press and people said, he must just enjoy cycling, he has an amazing talent to climb, the same he dont have to TT, but I hope he can improve a little in the future..

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Mikel Landa

the sceptic said:
How many grand tours will he win? he might be the strongest in this giro.

I think he might be the next Froome.
landa will be a lot less in higher mountains. like most basks he goes well until 1500 metres max

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

del1962 said:
I am expecting a decent time trial, just over two minutes behind the winner, (I assume it is 2 minutes between riders and he will be following the winner about 10ks into the race)
then you are completely clueless :eek:

TRENDING THREADS