• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JRanton said:
A bit better today though still not great. Pauwels was with him and managed to finish ahead of him which isn't great. Still a month left to the Giro so hopefully he'll be ready.

He is at Pais Vasco as he expected and as he was last year. He said he was here to try a stage and he got that,. the one he wanted and 2 days leder, so very well.

Pawells was sucking Landa wheel at the begining of the climb. Landa finished with Kelderman, so well.

He has done a good race.

It is normal that once he wasin yellow at his home race he dreamed with to be very well all the week and keep the yellow, but that was just a normal dream.

I am more worried for how he haldle the pressure tobe a leader if he has a bad day at the begining of the Giro. But with this good Pais Vasco he will be confident now.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Eshnar said:
Hugo Koblet said:
However, nowadays the Giro certainly has the weakest lineup of the three Grand Tours. I don't think that last year's Giro was that hard to be honest. The parcours might have been but Contador didn't exactly face strong competition.
Well he did face the winner of the Vuelta, which apparently had a better field.
He was up against Aru who's best result in a previous GT is a third place and who quite clearly rode for second place, and Landa who had never previously performed in a GT and wasn't allowed to attack. The rest of the top 10 was Amador, Hesjedal, König, Kruijswijk, Caruso, Geniez and Trofimov. Hardly a stellar field. That said, the Giro might have been hard, but I think that last year's Giro field is one of the weakest in recent time. It might even be as weak as 2012.

I think after Uran, Porte and Pozzo problems the field wanst very hight, but Hesjedal was at the level he win his Giro ( a pity that bad day at the begining, more than bad day, distract, put him left of the fight) and Kruijwick was a high level.

There was high level on the teams: Astana with Cataldo, Luis Leon, Rosa, Kangert,... uff...despite his 2 leaders... and Tinkoff, with Kreuziger, Basso, Rogers,.. Uff Both teams controle all the race. Without that control even Hesjedal could have put again in a situation to win il Giro. The pace everyday was crazy, no day to relax.

And well, Amador is a great rider for 3 weeks, not a very good climber, but with a big endurance. That is was everybody expect from him when he started pro.

Of course you cant compare Giro with le Tour, is not the same level, but it is as well another kind of race. Some people (not the normal) could do well in le Tour, but not in le Giro, as we see with Wiggo.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Landa has few weeks before May starts to uplift his form. He wasn't that impressive IMHO. He was great on the first day, but slowly he got drop second by second. (yeah, yeah he was riding for Henao. But I expect him to be at least not too far from Henao). Is the Trentino next race before Giro? That should be another marker to see how his form improving.

Jelantik said:
Landa has few weeks before May starts to uplift his form. He wasn't that impressive IMHO. He was great on the first day, but slowly he got drop second by second. (yeah, yeah he was riding for Henao. But I expect him to be at least not too far from Henao). Is the Trentino next race before Giro? That should be another marker to see how his form improving.

Trentino showdown with Nibs.

Jelantik said:

He was last year 32 inthe ITT and 22 overall, he is this year 28 in the ITT and 12 in the overall, by riding less days than last yearand you say you expected more?? :eek:

it is not a question he was superb in the stage he designed, it is a question that he go with all to win that stage and the overalll contenders were looking echa others. He paid that other days. he was closeto to loetome first day, becoue he didnt mind a lot GC, but finally in the descent more people get into and he was in that 52 people group... next day it was more to know eel the climb, to have his people encouraging him than a superperformance. Kelderman was just 5 second better at the end, and Landa was working for Henao yesterday by attacking from far.

So I dont know where is the surprise. The only surprise for people didnt know him is that he can be in a good shape by riding a little (more big talented people do that as well), but he is not peaking here, other people as Henao, Samu and Contador yes.

if he last year was worse in Pais Vasco and he was second in Trentino now he can win Trentino, it is depends rivals.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I think this guy is a bit overrated at the moment.

He's without doubt a big talent (26 years old), but i've only seen him climb very well in one GT yet. He wasn't even there in the first moutain finish actually. A lot of riders in history rides well for one GT, and then we never see them reach the same level again.

I'm curious to see how he does with a whole team and being the captain. Can he handle the pressure etc.

I still think Nibali is the biggest favourite for the Giro, but I'm curious to see if Landa can challenge him for real. He'll have to drop him in the mountains because of the ITT's.

Re:

rm7 said:

He's without doubt a big talent (26 years old), but i've only seen him climb very well in one GT yet. He wasn't even there in the first moutain finish actually. A lot of riders in history rides well for one GT, and then we never see them reach the same level again.

I'm curious to see how he does with a whole team and being the captain. Can he handle the pressure etc.

I still think Nibali is the biggest favourite for the Giro, but I'm curious to see if Landa can challenge him for real. He'll have to drop him in the mountains because of the ITT's.
He is a better climb now than Andy's brother Frank ever dreamed of. Andy is still in another league as of now obviously, he was incredible. I think he showed in the Vuelta after his astonishing climbing display in Il Giro (could have been a better display if allowed) that he indeed is the real deal, altho Astana at that point really didnt care for him and Landa didnt care for them. I think it was obvious he lacked hella motivation in that race. I think he was instrumental in setting Aru up and his win on Els Cortal is a true grumpier worthy, he was incredibly that day. Like he was on the hardest mountains in Il Giro.

Nibali is the favourite. Comfortably, but Landa and Valverde are ready, hopefully!

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
rm7 said:

He is a better climb now than Andy's brother Frank ever dreamed of. Andy is still in another league as of now obviously, he was incredible. I think he showed in the Vuelta after his astonishing climbing display in Il Giro (could have been a better display if allowed) that he indeed is the real deal, altho Astana at that point really didnt care for him and Landa didnt care for them. I think it was obvious he lacked hella motivation in that race. I think he was instrumental in setting Aru up and his win on Els Cortal is a true grumpier worthy, he was incredibly that day. Like he was on the hardest mountains in Il Giro.

Nibali is the favourite. Comfortably, but Landa and Valverde are ready, hopefully!

Landa a lot better climber than Frank Schleck could ever dream of? Have you forgot how good he actually was between 2008-2011?

Landa wouldn't be able to keep up with Contador/Andy S at that time either, so i'm not sure i follow why Landa 2015 is a much better climber than Frank Schleck 2008-2011.

Re:

rm7 said:
He's without doubt a big talent (26 years old), but i've only seen him climb very well in one GT yet. He wasn't even there in the first moutain finish actually.

Yes, he was. In Abetone he was the 4th of the favourites and even attacked (and I may be wrong in this but I seem to remember that he even pulled a bit for Aru after he was caught) and lost time mainly in the final sprint to the line.

In all the remaining MTFs he gained time or arrived with Contador.

Ugh, yeah, I have a hard time dealing with F. Schleck. I don't like him the slightest, it may cloud my mind a bit here.

However, my point still stands about Landa. I dont think he is overrated, if anything, I think this Pais Vasco showed how talented a climber he is considering the VERY sparse prep. And a pure one that is, very rare!

I don't really like the Sky gc teams but he is in my cq team so
¡Venga Meana! :D

Btw, its quite interesting that Nibali was so bad today. If he f**** up his preparation as last year for the tour and Landa is in the same shape as last year this might even be an "easy" win for him.

Gigs_98 said:
JRanton said:
So now no Sergio Henao, Intxausti and Konig for the Giro. Astana will probably have at least 5 climbers better than Sky's best domestique unless they move someone like Nieve or Poels from the Tour squad.
I definitely wont complain about a weak Sky gt team. :D

I would really like Sky to have at least one good climber, I dont think Sky's race tactics are nearly as destructive as some suggest (I for one really enjoy seeing stages like Ax-3 and PSM), but Landa will be in a position where he needs to gain several minutes on Valv and Nibali, so Sky could really need a few good domestique to tear it apart.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Impressive climber. Without racing is like this!!! Uau.

If valverde and Nibali want to win the giro they will need to destroy Landa where he is weak. He will beat them in the climbs.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Sebastian Henao should be strong in the 3rd week of the Giro, his recovery is just awesome. Landa will have Ian Boswell, he was really strong durning Paris-Nice, having Kennaugh would have been nice. Landa with Nieva and Inxausti as climbing domestiques would have been awesome, a nice Euskaltel revival. :D
Landas climbing style is just awesome, fluid and powerful, on the final ramp he climbed in the drops.

filipepc said:
Impressive climber. Without racing is like this!!! Uau.

If valverde and Nibali want to win the giro they will need to destroy Landa where he is weak. He will beat them in the climbs.

Its funny, tho. Landa has won 2 stages that theoretically shouldn't suit him that much, at least not over a gruelling mountain stage - think Els Cortals or Aprica 2015. On the other hand, he faded when it really got nasty in the Basque Country, altho he tried something with Lopez (?) but he really didnt spend that much energy compared to the rest until the climb. Is it a trend, is Landa more explosive than I give him credit for or is a random to a lesser extent? I mean, he hasn't trained that well and all, might affect his long efforts, but not so much the shorter ones. I don't think this is a pattern and he should at least be as good at longer climbs, hopefully Trentino will show that.

Anyways, I think you are right. I definitely think Landa will be the best climber in the race, but he needs to gain a lot of time. And Nibali can use the descents yo either catch up or use them for aggression, same goes for Bala really.

Edit: YES, please Nieve and Intxausti on the Giro team, please!!

TRENDING THREADS