• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
DNP-Old said:
Well, as good as Landa's looked this Trentino, his team has been complete jackshit. It amazed me how quickly Landa was isolated throughout this race.

same happened to Contador last year in the Giro ...but Tinkoff had some good riders riding at Giro and SKY had Deignan, Boswell & Moscon at Trentino (with 3 riders DNF on stage 4 so only Knees also left)

Peters DNF I can understand but Zandio and Lopez are a little harder to take. And Boswell looks far from a super-dom on the basis of Trentino, even if he has showed good work before.

JRanton said:
HelloDolly said:
DNP-Old said:
Well, as good as Landa's looked this Trentino, his team has been complete jackshit. It amazed me how quickly Landa was isolated throughout this race.

same happened to Contador last year in the Giro ...but Tinkoff had some good riders riding at Giro and SKY had Deignan, Boswell & Moscon at Trentino (with 3 riders DNF on stage 4 so only Knees also left)

but instead of rubbishing the riders maybe tactics need to be considered If you make these riders ride on the front from Kilometer 0 as happened in Trentino and for Tinkoff last year then you are bound to have no one left esp if you only had 4 to begin with

Is there a need to ride at the front all day every day from Kilometer 0

When you have the race lead, of course there is. Boswell and particularly Lopez were the big disappointments from what I could see. I wouldn't be against Moscon replacing either of those two, even as a neo-pro.

Deignan was a bright spot though. He only started his season as Coppi Bartali so there's a good chance his form is only going to get better. He was pretty impressive in the two grand tours he rode for Sky in 2014 so he can be a solid guy for Landa.

One thing I don't get is why both Puccio and Kiryienka apparently aren't riding the Giro. Perhaps Kiryienka preferred riding the Tour as prep for the Olympics TT but those two guys can do a lot of good work for a leader in a grand tour. Heck, on his day Kiri can even be a beast in the high mountains.

If SKY don't send Kiry & Puccio then they will have to send Stannard & Rowe...makes sense as all 4 cannot ride the Tour
But team not named yet for Giro so Kiry could be included otherwise very strange....esp with all the TT miles in Giro and the need for strong men at the end of the race ..in the last week..Remember SKY's TTT could do wiht a bolster also as pretty weak

Agree Deignan very good at Vuelta 2014 for Froome...last man standing in the mountains for Froome in final week even after Nieve. Obvious Roche was not down to ride Giro and only switched this week when Heano pulled....so ther could be another inclusion

The older guys can be good in a GT as they can still be riding strong in the final week but you get the impression SKY care only about the Tour

Checked the Giro parcours again. Its different for him than I thought at first. The medium mountain stages shouldn't be that much of a problem. The high mountains are where he really needs one or 2 guys. Being isolated on the Agnel, Giau, or Bonette could really harm his chances if he doesn't win minutes at a time in the mountains.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Checked the Giro parcours again. Its different for him than I thought at first. The medium mountain stages shouldn't be that much of a problem. The high mountains are where he really needs one or 2 guys. Being isolated on the Agnel, Giau, or Bonette could really harm his chances if he doesn't win minutes at a time in the mountains.

You say that and then I remember Astana and their ability to attack anywhere...could even try a long range one especially if Landa strongest in mountians
Also if SKY have a few strong men for earlier in the stage it can help keep best doms fresh for mountains

KyoGrey said:
Landa has been followed closely as the new big hope for the Basque/Spanish peloton for nearly a decade. He was a talent in amateur, in his first years as a pro and this past 2 years are the confirmation.

The strange thing is not that he is so good now, the strange thing is why he had such a big dip in his last years of Euskaltel. Or maybe it isn't so strange taking into consideration how badly the team was managed before it disappeared.

That was a problem, but the main fact is that mainly for crashes and other problems he couldnt have continuity. But anyway he got some good results those years.

I would like to see him at Lieje.

The Giro-odds have changed drastically. Landa is now at 3,25 compared to an odds fluctuating between 7 and 8 earlier. Nibali's has risen a bit, not much. Valverde is relatively steady at 5,50. These odds are super comparable to the Tour's where Nibali is Froome, Landa is Quintana and Valverde Contador.

Wish I had seen this coming, but oh well!

Taxus4a said:
KyoGrey said:
Landa has been followed closely as the new big hope for the Basque/Spanish peloton for nearly a decade. He was a talent in amateur, in his first years as a pro and this past 2 years are the confirmation.

The strange thing is not that he is so good now, the strange thing is why he had such a big dip in his last years of Euskaltel. Or maybe it isn't so strange taking into consideration how badly the team was managed before it disappeared.

That was a problem, but the main fact is that mainly for crashes and other problems he couldnt have continuity. But anyway he got some good results those years.

I would like to see him at Lieje.

Yes, Landa would seem like the best bet for Sky at this point. He has been very good on hills and have proved to be relatively explosive actually

KyoGrey said:

I would like to see him at Lieje, but...

Taxus4a said:
KyoGrey said:

I would like to see him at Lieje, but...

What do you think of him at ITT of Chianti?
For me if he will be under two minutes from Nibali it would be good. I am quite concerned with the route of this year, too unfavorable for pure climbers

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The Giro-odds have changed drastically. Landa is now at 3,25 compared to an odds fluctuating between 7 and 8 earlier. Nibali's has risen a bit, not much. Valverde is relatively steady at 5,50. These odds are super comparable to the Tour's where Nibali is Froome, Landa is Quintana and Valverde Contador.

Wait, he was at 8 :eek:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Wait, he was at 8 :eek:

I actually dont think it was 8 but close (is probably was somewhere, some time) due to illness, Nibali and route. Illness gone and a perfect buildup, Nibali struggling = odds skydive

I just wouldn't expect a Sky team leader to mess up his peak for a GT.

Anyway, much depends on Nibali, and the weather, and his team. Expect him to crack Valverde at some point honestly. I hope for Landa that none of the big mountain stages will get cancelled.

TMP402 said:
HelloDolly said:
DNP-Old said:

Peters DNF I can understand but Zandio and Lopez are a little harder to take. And Boswell looks far from a super-dom on the basis of Trentino, even if he has showed good work before.

I wouldn't read to much into dom dnf on final stage

My feeling is that he just needs 1 single guy to be constantly with him in the mountains.

As we have seen in Trentino, his style of leadership in a stage race doesnt rely as much on surrounding himself with an army, but to respond in first person and hitting before they hit him.

It will be very interesting. Every race that he wins, he shows a little detail that reminds me of old-school cycling.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I just wouldn't expect a Sky team leader to mess up his peak for a GT.

Anyway, much depends on Nibali, and the weather, and his team. Expect him to crack Valverde at some point honestly. I hope for Landa that none of the big mountain stages will get cancelled.

I agree, Landa needs the few very tough mountain stages to not get cancelled if he is to win this Giro.

As for his team, I think Sky need to give him one 'top 20' climber for this. The likes of Boswell, Deignan and Seb Henao can do a good job for a while, but I feel he still needs maybe Nieve or Poels. If Astana goes crazy it could be a disaster if he's isolated with 80k's of a stage still to go.

Valverde's tt is far from being consequently good as well and Fuglsang ain't strong enough in the mountains. Zakarin is the wildcard of course if he's strong enough over 3 weeks to do a Berzin.

As long as Nibali ain't no top favorite anymore - Yes, he's still a contender so far, Landa's tt might be pretty irrelevant as long as he ain't gonna lose 4-5 minutes on Valverde, Fuglsang & Zakarin which is highly unlikely.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Valverde's tt is far from being consequently good as well and Fuglsang ain't strong enough in the mountains. Zakarin is the wildcard of course if he's strong enough over 3 weeks to do a Berzin.

As long as Nibali ain't no top favorite anymore - Yes, he's still a contender so far, Landa's tt might be pretty irrelevant as long as he ain't gonna lose 4-5 minutes on Valverde, Fuglsang & Zakarin which is highly unlikely.
If Nibali isn't strong enough they should use Birdsong for a long range attack to put pressure on Landa, a classic Danish mountain raid. :cool:
Zakarin is the wildcard and if at least one important mountain stage gets cancelled Dumoulin could become a serious thread.

Poels said in his post LBL interview that he'll be riding the Tour with Froome this year. Some people (including myself) have assumed that Nieve renewed with Sky on the condition that he'd ride the Tour with Froome this year as he was very disappointed to miss it in 2015. Kennaugh is probably the best remaining option although he's only just back from illness which caused him to miss the Ardennes.

Kennaugh, Seb Henao, Boswell, Roche, Lopez and Deignan as his climbing doms. I can't see a climber there that would put Nibali/Astana under significant pressure. Oh well, unfortunately lots of bad luck with Sergio Henao, Konig and Intxausti all missing out this year.

Re:

staubsauger said:

Bala is pretty good in TTs, maybe only slightly worse than Nibali. I reckon over the course of the two flat/rolling TTs he can put 3 minutes into Landa if he's very good in both.

Valverde always does very bad tt's as well like at the Tour of 2007. He is the better tt guy. But it's not guaranteed he can fully take that advantage. He has failed at it multiple times from my memory. Mainly when he just was considered to do a good one like this year at the Giro. It's a miracle that happens every now an then with him. Why? No clue. Can't be just clinic related tbh.

TRENDING THREADS