• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
I just noticed that Astana really screwed up as a team for gc riders. They gave away Nibali and Landa, Aru hasn't had a good performance since 2015 (which is mainly because he has only ridden the tdf since then where he had one very bad day, but still not a good sign) and let's see what Lopez will do in the future, but I must say that it's worrying that he is still inured.

In 2015 they had 3 of the strongest gc riders and one promising prospect, in 2017 they have one underperforming gc rider and one promising prospect

Their budget was also cut down, so they had to give up from some of their best riders.

It's mainly that Aru massively underperforms since 2014. Yeah he won that 2015 Vuelta. But we all now that was more strong Astana dragging it's weak leader to the victory. If Aru can't get his act together at this year's Tour or Vuelta his career is a pile of shards that certainly needs reconstruction.

Re:

staubsauger said:
It's mainly that Aru massively underperforms since 2014. Yeah he won that 2015 Vuelta. But we all now that was more strong Astana dragging it's weak leader to the victory. If Aru can't get his act together at this year's Tour or Vuelta his career is a pile of shards that certainly needs reconstruction.
Thats a very hard statement when he was 2nd in the Giro and 1st in the Vuelta, but I do get where you are coming from. On both occasions, Astana had by far the superior team and both GTs were pretty lacklustre in terms of contenders (Porte and Uran sno shows in the Giro, Steven lost 10 minutes, Landa was his own teammate - no depth to the field, really) and the Vuelta speaks for itself when an inform time trialist leads the race with 1 day to go.

I don't believe in ifs when we're talking GTs. Aru has underperformed once (Tour 2016) and he's the only non big 4 to have won a Grand Tour in the past 3 years. His palmares since 2014 is better than most GT riders will have accomplished at the end of their careers.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I don't believe in ifs when we're talking GTs. Aru has underperformed once (Tour 2016) and he's the only non big 4 to have won a Grand Tour in the past 3 years. His palmares since 2014 is better than most GT riders will have accomplished at the end of their careers.
Of course you don't, but 1st and 2nd overall didn't really reflect his overall level, he aint no world beater. He had super favourable circumstances.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Rollthedice said:
First he has to get there and then without being 10 min. down. Anyway interesting comments coming from Shefer.
Shouldn't be a problem, I think he will lose at 3, maybe 3 and a half minutes at maximum to Dumoulin or whoever proves to be the strongest (hello Jungels) on the TT on stage 9. He can think about the flat time trial in the last week.

But interesting comments. Landa, Kruijswijk, Nibali and Quintana at 100% in the last week would be a nice watch. Especially Landa as a) he needs time and b) is a joy to watch at his best.

Really, you think he will lose that much? Last year he lost 2 min 20 to the stage winner on the similar length TT, and only 1 min 35 to Jungels. This showed a big improvement on his previous TT's. With 2 decent length TT's in this edition there is no reason to think he won't have done even more work this year on his TT.

Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Rollthedice said:
First he has to get there and then without being 10 min. down. Anyway interesting comments coming from Shefer.
Shouldn't be a problem, I think he will lose at 3, maybe 3 and a half minutes at maximum to Dumoulin or whoever proves to be the strongest (hello Jungels) on the TT on stage 9. He can think about the flat time trial in the last week.

But interesting comments. Landa, Kruijswijk, Nibali and Quintana at 100% in the last week would be a nice watch. Especially Landa as a) he needs time and b) is a joy to watch at his best.

Really, you think he will lose that much? Last year he lost 2 min 20 to the stage winner on the similar length TT, and only 1 min 35 to Jungels. This showed a big improvement on his previous TT's. With 2 decent length TT's in this edition there is no reason to think he won't have done even more work this year on his TT.
Last year's ITT was too hilly and technical to open large gaps between the big engines and the small climbers. The rain also helped to keep gaps smaller than expected.

To me, Mikel should be the leader for Sky. Proven. Geraint is not battle tested on a grand tour, and I believe that he will (somewhat) fade week 3. I think that it was the deal when Landa joined Sky: that he would be the leader in Froome-less GTs. He'll end up a superdom I'm afraid. He deserves better.

Tonton said:
To me, Mikel should be the leader for Sky. Proven. Geraint is not battle tested on a grand tour, and I believe that he will (somewhat) fade week 3. I think that it was the deal when Landa joined Sky: that he would be the leader in Froome-less GTs. He'll end up a superdom I'm afraid. He deserves better.

I'm sure this was the original deal, but he didn't really perform much last year. That has to have changed some things. Meanwhile GT has poured his heart out for the team and shown himself decently strong in grand tours. I think it was fair to give them equal status in light of the last year. That said, I do prefer Landa over GT and I do expect GT to crack at some point this Giro.

Well, to me it is really simple: Landa didn't perform last year, so he gets another shot this year, yet Sky has to respect and reward other riders wishes, particularly those who have GC aspirations and were able to perform.
If Landa yet again doesn't perform, he'll have to accept being a domestique, since he had not taken the chance when it was given to him. If he doesn't accept, he's free to leave the team.

Thing is: money is important. For some riders, it is even more relevant than their career. Is Landa that kind of rider, or a more ambitious one?

Why are we even talking abouy Landa being a domestique for Thomas at this point? Nothing suggests that that's the pecking order at this point, and unless Thomas takes the lead with a sizeable gap in the TT, I don't think it will happen at all. Even if Thomas is ahead after the TT, if Sky aren't in a position where they need to defend the jersey, I don't think Landa will have to tap out a rhythm for Thomas or give him his wheel or something.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
Well, to me it is really simple: Landa didn't perform last year, so he gets another shot this year, yet Sky has to respect and reward other riders wishes, particularly those who have GC aspirations and were able to perform.

I agree, seems fairly simple to me also. If Landa wants to go back to sole leadership like last year than he needs to start putting down some performances, he hasn't won anything in over a year. Yet obviously he is talented enough that he still gets support for a GT. But it can't come at the expense at every other rider, especially if they are getting results.

Re:

Vasilis said:
Why are we even talking abouy Landa being a domestique for Thomas at this point? Nothing suggests that that's the pecking order at this point, and unless Thomas takes the lead with a sizeable gap in the TT, I don't think it will happen at all. Even if Thomas is ahead after the TT, if Sky aren't in a position where they need to defend the jersey, I don't think Landa will have to tap out a rhythm for Thomas or give him his wheel or something.

This should be true. IMO the only thing that should change this is if GT were to be in the leaders jersey deep in week three....not likely.

He's the man to watch tomorrow. He seems a lot stronger than Quintana at this point (although it's really hard to know for sure), so it would make sense for him to attack him tomorrow and not wait until Quintana gets his rhythm later on. He also knows he's going to lose time to Thomas in the ITT, I'm sure that's part of his mental calculus.

TRENDING THREADS