• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Brullnux said:
Landa wasn’t the strongest climber today, soz. It was an impressive effort but he gained, what, 30s to the joints effort of Ciccone and Zakarin over 12k? With the help of teammates for the first 6 too. After the first km of going solo he started to lose time to an inspired zakarin. His style just makes him seem like he’s going that bit faster, but genuinely, Carapaz’s performance was more impressive.
Dont think it really was, Carapaz was great, but Landa made the attack at a hard place where everyone where at the limit and soloed for the most part. Carapaz sat in wheels.

Either way, Zakarin was probably as strong as him. That was the real surprise how well he held of and gained time on almost everybody the last 6 km

Re:

Brullnux said:
Landa wasn’t the strongest climber today, soz. It was an impressive effort but he gained, what, 30s to the joints effort of Ciccone and Zakarin over 12k? With the help of teammates for the first 6 too. After the first km of going solo he started to lose time to an inspired zakarin. His style just makes him seem like he’s going that bit faster, but genuinely, Carapaz’s performance was more impressive.

He was the strongest, he gained on everyone from the moment he attacked, despite being longest on the offensive.
Anyway, we'll see on San Carlo today who the strongest climber is.

Landa has turned into one of the most suspicious characters in world cycling without me remembering he did anything really crazy. To me he's just a good climber with some attitude, who has happenned to ride for 3 drama clubs in the last few years. I mean I remember Gadret's stuffs better.

He wasn't as strong as Carapaz today, he probably paid a bit for the effort he did yesterday.
Tomorrow Movistar should have him attack early on the final climb while Carapaz is controlling Roglic and Nibali.
If Carapaz has a bad day it's better to have Landa as high up on the gc as possible and this kind of strategy wouldn't hurt Carapaz and his chances to win the race.

I really dont think that Landa should only be a domestique . There is no guarantee that Carapaz will hold his current shape in the 3rd week. Landa, however, already showed in many GTs that he's one of the best in the last week of a GT. If Carapaz struggle on the Mortirolo, i really hope they won't tell Landa to wait for him ( bis repetita like giro 2015 lol).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Are we expecting the loyal superdomestique Landa to show up at this race or will he set an insane pace on Mortirolo, secretly hoping to break Carapaz and win the Giro? :D
Pace on Mortirolo so that only Carapaz, Nibali and maybe Yates can stay with him and then attack at some point on the way to Ponte di Legno if they have a decent gap over Roglic.
He gains time on the gc and Movistar have another card to play if anything happens to Carapaz.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Are we expecting the loyal superdomestique Landa to show up at this race or will he set an insane pace on Mortirolo, secretly hoping to break Carapaz and win the Giro? :D

On the Mortirolo, Landa to surge hard just at the moment when Carapaz is taking a drink, pulling free from the leader's group. Nibali counters and pulls behind Landa, but a gap opens up and Carapaz is forced to work but is on a bad day and is unable to follow. Landa tows Nibali to the top of the mountain, then gets dropped by the Shark on the descent. :lol:

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pace on Mortirolo so that only Carapaz, Nibali and maybe Yates can stay with him and then attack at some point on the way to Ponte di Legno if they have a decent gap over Roglic.
He gains time on the gc and Movistar have another card to play if anything happens to Carapaz.

Exactly my thoughts.

Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:

He will get dropped on Mortirolo, gregario until the end.

I don't think so. Tomorrow is a big day, he was waiting this for months, pity that Gavia is off, but doesn't matter tomorrow will be clear who the best climber of this Giro is.

Blanco said:
Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:

I don't think so. Tomorrow is a big day, he was waiting this for months, pity that Gavia is off, but doesn't matter tomorrow will be clear who the best climber of this Giro is.
I truly believe Landa willingly helps a leader that is actually thankful for his support!

staubsauger said:
Blanco said:
Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:

I truly believe Landa willingly helps a leader that is actually thankful for his support!

I agree with this. He's recently talked about having gotten along well with Nibali.

TRENDING THREADS