• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Blanco said:
Rode like a boss again. I think he'll crack Roglic for podium spot, although in this form he could do even more, but Richie is in pink so...
In
Landa being Landa again, though. You attack on the final short climb when your team leader's in pink? Sure, he's 3 mintues down, angry at himself that he himself isn't in pink, and wants a podium place but what if Carapaz had a mechanical or was attacked by Nibali? Sure, in the end it didn't matter, but still. Carapaz was pretty diplomatic about it but I'd be annoyed.

Landa will need to gain 1:45 or more on Roglic, but I think that's more likely going to happen if Roglic fades rather than a solo attack by Landa.

Love him but he will never win a GT. Letting aside his interviews he's a circus even in races. He's just too one dimensional. Incredibly talented climber but he sucks at anything else. If he wouldn't lost so much time in the TT's and in the flats he would've won this.
Incredible style on the bike though.

Re: Re:

Bolder said:
Blanco said:
Rode like a boss again. I think he'll crack Roglic for podium spot, although in this form he could do even more, but Richie is in pink so...
In
Landa being Landa again, though. You attack on the final short climb when your team leader's in pink? Sure, he's 3 mintues down, angry at himself that he himself isn't in pink, and wants a podium place but what if Carapaz had a mechanical or was attacked by Nibali? Sure, in the end it didn't matter, but still. Carapaz was pretty diplomatic about it but I'd be annoyed.

Landa will need to gain 1:45 or more on Roglic, but I think that's more likely going to happen if Roglic fades rather than a solo attack by Landa.

Yeah, sure, Carapaz is annoyed because he gained more time on Nibali and Roglic :confused: , right? Because without that Landa's move that would not be possible. I expect similar move on Friday...

Landa's TTing showed signs of improving at Sky but Movistar might not pay as much attention to it as he seems to have regressed a bit. Please correct me if I am wrong. Would love to see him win a GT, looks so good when climbing.

I think that if he moves to a team were he is the sole leader and they have a scientific approach to training and racing that he can win a GT, he needs to improve his TT ability and get more support on flat stages.

With that said I think he will go for broke on saturday and maybe friday. Forget Richie, he is not his friend, he will be in the Skytrain next year.

#FreeLanda

Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Bolder said:
Blanco said:
In

Who knows what Carapaz was thinking? But he only went when Lopez did. Now, of course, maybe Landa asked permission to attack, but judging from Carapaz's cryptic statement yesterday, we have no idea: "It wasn't part of the plan, but it was also part of the plan."

Sure, it definitely worked out in Carapaz's favor, but -- and I am a Landa fan -- normally you wouldn't leave your leader alone on a climb. eh bien, on verra....

Yeah, sure, Carapaz is annoyed because he gained more time on Nibali and Roglic :confused: , right? Because without that Landa's move that would not be possible. I expect similar move on Friday...

Serpentin said:
I think that if he moves to a team were he is the sole leader and they have a scientific approach to training and racing that he can win a GT, he needs to improve his TT ability and get more support on flat stages.
Does that team exist?

And how is it possible that I'd almost forgotten he rode for Sky when it was just a couple years ago?

Re:

dastott said:
Landa's TTing showed signs of improving at Sky but Movistar might not pay as much attention to it as he seems to have regressed a bit. Please correct me if I am wrong. Would love to see him win a GT, looks so good when climbing.

I think that’s one reason Carapaz is looking at Ineos. Improve his TT and become more well rounded.

Re:

dastott said:

Technically for the training part I think that would be any other team in the peloton. Movistar is well known for taking a hands off approach and letting their riders do their own training. This approach appears to work well for a select few riders while a more hands on approach seems to work better for more riders.

jaylew said:
Serpentin said:
Does that team exist?

And how is it possible that I'd almost forgotten he rode for Sky when it was just a couple years ago?

I actually take that back, I want him to stay at Movistar but be the only leader for one race... I realize that he has had the chance and crashed like last years tour. He can still win a stage though. :cool:

Re:

Red Rick said:
He'll be at the nationals. RR for sure, and thinking about the ITT as well.
https://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2019/06/13/5d020ef1268e3e8f638b45ab.html

This is good news, he needs to work on his TT for the future. Mikel didn´t have that many race days Before the Giro so hope he has recovered a bit.. Movistar has got a strong Tour squad so no need to be Q´s domestique before the third week.

Interview , in Spanish, with Mikel in AS when he was on his way to Brussels .

https://as.com/ciclismo/2019/07/03/tour_francia/1562172699_767496.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw

He says that he is feeling good thinks it is a more open race this year with less TTs which is good for the climbers. They will see on the road who is the best leader for the team. He wants to minimise losses on the TTs and stay safe in the first nervous week.

At the end of the interview he says that he still hasn't received an offer from Movistar for next year. He confirms that Bahrain are are interested but says that nothing has been finalised. He wants to concentrate on the Tour now and will decide later about next year.

That doesn't sound as though he is desperate to leave Movistar or that Bahrain is a done deal. If he does well in the Tour Movistar may be regretting not making him feel a little bit more loved and wanted.

mariposa said:

https://as.com/ciclismo/2019/07/03/tour_francia/1562172699_767496.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw

He says that he is feeling good thinks it is a more open race this year with less TTs which is good for the climbers. They will see on the road who is the best leader for the team. He wants to minimise losses on the TTs and stay safe in the first nervous week.

At the end of the interview he says that he still hasn't received an offer from Movistar for next year. He confirms that Bahrain are are interested but says that nothing has been finalised. He wants to concentrate on the Tour now and will decide later about next year.

That doesn't sound as though he is desperate to leave Movistar or that Bahrain is a done deal. If he does well in the Tour Movistar may be regretting not making him feel a little bit more loved and wanted.

My guess is that he stays at Movistar, while Quintana is leaving.., especially if he shows at the Tour that he's the better of the two (which he is imo).

mariposa said:

From comments made by Movistar management has made, it appears that the team has no intention on resigning Landa or Quintana. Unzue was directly asked about Landa, Quintana and Carapaz and said he wants to keep Carapaz of the 3. Obviously the Tour could change their mind with Landa.

Koronin said:
mariposa said:

From comments made by Movistar management has made, it appears that the team has no intention on resigning Landa or Quintana. Unzue was directly asked about Landa, Quintana and Carapaz and said he wants to keep Carapaz of the 3. Obviously the Tour could change their mind with Landa.

It's a dangerous game though because they could end up without all three. If they really don't want Quintana and he also seemingly wants away they might do as well to at least make Landa feel appreciated. He rode a great Giro and was a super team mate to Richie and seems to want Movistar to make him an offer to stay.
I suspect it will depend in part how each of their prospects does in the Tour. If the riders they are supposedly interested in , Mas and Fuglsang do better than Landa then ok, although their price will also presumably go up. If Landa does better, which I hope he will, then not so good for Movistar if hey have made it clear that they don't want him to stay. Of course there may also be other issues which determine who they do and don't want.Only time will tell how it all pans out. I just hope that Landa stays out of crashes and gets a little more luck this year.

mariposa said:
Koronin said:
mariposa said:

It's a dangerous game though because they could end up without all three. If they really don't want Quintana and he also seemingly wants away they might do as well to at least make Landa feel appreciated. He rode a great Giro and was a super team mate to Richie and seems to want Movistar to make him an offer to stay.
I suspect it will depend in part how each of their prospects does in the Tour. If the riders they are supposedly interested in , Mas and Fuglsang do better than Landa then ok, although their price will also presumably go up. If Landa does better, which I hope he will, then not so good for Movistar if hey have made it clear that they don't want him to stay. Of course there may also be other issues which determine who they do and don't want.Only time will tell how it all pans out. I just hope that Landa stays out of crashes and gets a little more luck this year.

I think a lot will depending on if they are sure they can keep Carapaz and/or sign Mas. Rumors are Mas is almost certainly headed to Movistar next year. He'll never have full support at DQS and he will have it at Movistar. According to rumors in Spain the big thing Carapaz wants guarenteed to resign is more leadership opportunities. The thing with Mas is he's 23-24 while Landa is 29, so several years younger. However, I think Movistar would be more likely to offer Landa another contract than Quintana at this point. I agree, I hope Landa can stay out of crashes.