• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milan-San Remo 2013: Update from Songhezo Jim

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I love this guy already.

bettiniphoto_0136900_1_full-e1363615422471.jpg

http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?news=songezo-jim-blog-my-milan-sanremo

I didn’t know the organisers were stopping the race and I saw our team pulling off and other guys pulling off but I thought I am not giving up in this race. I am going to carry on because this is all I dreamt of. By the time I got to the last team bus down the road I realised the whole peloton was pulling over and realised what was going on.

I was so cold I could not take off my gloves or any of my clothes. Our director, Jens had to undress me as my fingers were frozen. Our staff were so organised. We had showers on the bus and they had fresh kit for us to get into which felt so good. This team is so professional, I was very grateful to be part of it.

While the racing and weather was so hard I was thinking why am I doing this, this is horrible. But then I thought this is what I’ve dreamt about. If I want to be a professional in Europe I have to endure days like this. Gerald winning was just unbelievable. I can’t believe I was a part of it all.

Imagine being the first black african in a major UCI race, when a blizzard occurs in the middle of march.. and then being able to write such a positive story the day after. This is what cycling is also about, amidst all the doping talk

Great story indeed. it's extremely difficult for us tropical fellows, to compete in the cold and snow, If it's the first time he competed in Europe probabaly the first time he saw snow. Great that he rode the majority of the race. Very good attitude too.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Really like Songezo, I have since I read a interview with him a while back. He's got a great attitude when it comes to racing. Hope to see much more of him in the future. :)

Baroh1488 said:
Imagine being the first black african in a major UCI race, when a blizzard occurs in the middle of march.. and then being able to write such a positive story the day after. This is what cycling is also about, amidst all the doping talk

Thanks for posting that. It's a cool story but he's not the first black African in a major UCI race, unless you were referring specifically to MSR, perhaps. I'm not about to go through the archives to figure it out though.

Hope he has success and finds a permanent spot in the peloton.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:
Cyclingnews had an article about him a few months ago.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/songezo-jim-living-his-dream-with-mtn-qhubeka

Certainly a guy to root for.

eta: anyone know MTN-Qhubeka's race program for Europe this year? Their website isn't much help there.

That's the article that made me a fan of his. I love this quote in it.

Always be positive. Things happen that you have no influence over and you have to accept that you can't change the situation. There is no use feeling sorry for yourself, instead you have to realise that no matter what circumstances, we all have the potential and we have to use the talents god gave us.

jaylew said:
Thanks for posting that. It's a cool story but he's not the first black African in a major UCI race, unless you were referring specifically to MSR, perhaps. I'm not about to go through the archives to figure it out though.

Hope he has success and finds a permanent spot in the peloton.

Europcar has a black rider of which I can't remember his name right now. He rode the TdF last year and is a great domestique for europcar.
Teklehaimot an rider from Eritrea rides for Orica since last year as well.

It's not really relevant though. What is relevant is his background. Such a tough life so far, yet such an amazing positive petsonality. I really hope he will succeed in becoming a pro in Europe.

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
jaylew said:
Thanks for posting that. It's a cool story but he's not the first black African in a major UCI race, unless you were referring specifically to MSR, perhaps.

Yohann Gene is French not African. And Omloop is a level below MSR. He is the second black African who has competed in a major UCI race (the grand tours and the monuments). I forgot about Teklehaimot in this years Vuelta. But you are right, so let me rephrase that. He is the first black african who has competed in a major UCI Race during a blizzard :-D

Baroh1488 said:
Yohann Gene is French not African. And Omloop is a level below MSR. He is the second black African who has competed in a major UCI race (the grand tours and the monuments). I forgot about Teklehaimot in this years Vuelta. But you are right, so let me rephrase that. He is the first black african who has competed in a major UCI Race during a blizzard :-D

Yes, I was referring to Tek. Gene and Reza (Liège, Dauphiné) are French, of course.

Does anyone know if there has there ever been a black American in the Euro peloton?

jaylew said:
Does anyone know if there has there ever been a black American in the Euro peloton?

Rahsaan Bahati would be the closest I can think of.
No idea if he ever raced in Europe.

I've been a fan of Songezo Jim for some time now. His is an amazing story, from a Cape Town township to a small local cycling club, to the South African cycling scene, to the MTN-Qhubeka team, and now to Europe.
This guy will make his way.:)

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim seems to be a great guy :)

I more and more quit the view that cycling is and has to stay an european sport due its history. It´s actually great to have riders like Rujano, Jim or Beppu in the sport, and races like these in China even, though Houangzhou has been cancelled again.

Compare Jim´s attitude to that of Tommeke on Sunday... :eek:

Edit: A shame Europcar didn´t keep Chtioui after just one year with them. He deseves his place as much as Giovanni Bernaudeau deserves it.

RHRH19861986 said:
Edit: A shame Europcar didn´t keep Chtioui after just one year with them. He deseves his place as much as Giovanni Bernaudeau deserves it.

I'm with you. He certainly wasn't the weakest guy on that squad. His first year in Europe in 2010 with Acqua and Sapone was so promising. He had 15 top 10s and looked to be on his way up. Sadly, I then jinxed him by picking him for my CQ team. Still, he hasn't been that bad and I think the best could still be ahead of him if he gets another chance.

Bump because of another Cyclingnews article

Like so many others, Jim said that Sunday "was the coldest I have ever been on a bicycle. Still I would not want to be anywhere else in the world. I still can’t believe yesterday happened and keep thinking I am going to wake up from a dream."

As the race went along, the weather went from bad to worse. Jim crashed 70 km into the day and took another 22 km to catch up again. “It was snowing, it was wet and the rain kept coming down. I was riding with my eyes closed at some point because there was no visibility with sunglasses but when you took them off the snow went into your eyes."

He had not heard that the race was being stopped, and was confused when he saw all the riders pulling over. “I thought I am not giving up in this race. I am going to carry on because this is all I dreamed of."