• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo 2023, one day monument, March 18

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Could Remco have beaten today's MVDP? I think only someone like Pidcock in top form, like in the Strade, could've followed and then keep with him on the descent.

I do like this new Ganna though, in the past he's been strickly a top TT guy, but now he can climb, he can sprint, he can really make a great classics rider.

Maybe, but not if he waited until the pogio, and neither would pidcock.

Reactions: noob
So 62 years later, his grandson now takes the victory in a similar style.

1961 - Raymond Poulidor

Frg39pPXwAEjNDP

2023 - Mathieu van der Poel

Frg3VQyXgAErxaN

As much as it hurts to hear it but it couldnt me any more true... Van Aert as great as he is hes just a POOR MANS MVDP dont know what more evidence there could been their entire career.. He can dominate andwin races MVDP doesnt target if he does he will just get whipped like he has his entire career by the freak MVDP is. Van aert is great just never been on that lvl - hence a POOR MANS MVDP.

Van aert *** riders forcing a debate is indeed tireesome which more evidence u want hes gotten beaten by MVDP from early days when they was juniors to this days time to start watching cycling or understand what ur watching - theres is no debate..just makes van aert look worse comparing him to MVDP who is clearly unmatched,

Van aert himself tho is extremely talented and simply a class act so chappou.

As for MVDP hes simply unmatched when hes on top form and always has been, noone been close people remember what he did to Ala in strade to others at flandern even at subpar lvl etc. At top lvl he wins in a fashion and lvl rest can dream of

simply unmatched top lvl.

• Haha
Reactions: johnymax and Ripper
Amazing win by Van der Poel. Surprising a guy like Ganna was able to be so strong. By far the most diverse mix of talents of all the monuments at the top in this race.

Pog didn’t do anything wrong but this race will always be a roll of the dice for him and if anything he can slightly change the way he rolls them. Maybe try just following on the Poggio and being the freshest for a small group finish, or attacking especially late like VdP did today.

The thing is, many riders can be the strongest in the race and not win, but if VdP is the strongest he will almost always win. I would be terrified if I’m heading into RVV and PR against him now.