• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 20, 2021

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
it's surely his last chance to win the race at least ;)

Pedersen in current shape, in my opinion, would be dropped like a stone on the Poggio, though. I can see every reason not to waste much energy for that
Some riders have historically needed to race Milano-Sanremo to be in top shape for the cobbles, that's at least what Boonen, for one, has said throughout his career.

Aside from the obvious favorites (big 3) I kinda hope Gilbert wins the last monument missing on his palmares.

I know it’s a very long shot, and that all the stars would have to align, but I’d be ecstatic for him if he wins.

With that being said, I just hope for a epic edition, though with most of the main protagonists probably being a bit fatigued from Tirreno it’ll most likely be more of the same.

Maybe a chance for a group of outsiders to try something earlier than usual?

Reactions: gregrowlerson
. A fresh, rested MVDP would probably attack on the Cipressa and have a decent chance of staying away, but I think he's got to wait until the Poggio, mark Wout or Alaf or anyone who goes, and hope he can win a sprint.
I doubt anyone of the big favorites would attack on Cipressa, not even Van Der Poel. But on Poggio, that's a whole different case. Why would he mark anyone there? From what we saw this year, he seems to be the most explosive guy, not Van Aert or Alaphilippe. He'll put the hammer there and then we'll see if there are some survivors left. If he has a company, then sprint becomes an option, not before that.

An attack before the poggio makes no sense for van der Poel. He will obviously either be the best there or the second best behind Alaphilippe. It's the only place he can distance the others and he has a great chance to do it there. If he attacks earlier there's no way they are letting him go, teams like Ineos and DQS bring Declercq, Asgreen, Kwiatkowski, Ganna, Bissegger, Bettiol, Campenaerts... they will catch him and after seeing this year so far they won't hesitate thinking "ah, that's too early anyway". No, there's just too many teams with great puncheurs or sprinters and there won't be heavy wind and rain.

Reactions: Earns1985
I can only see a good Cipressa attack (or shortly after) if the wind is favourable, and if nobody sets the pace. The last couple of years, the pace setting on Cipressa was always too high for any meaningful attacks. I also secretly hope for bad weather each year, but at the other hand, this race also breathes 'primavera' so I'm fine with a sunny rivera.

No surprises here:

• MVdP attack "Lift off" in Poggio. Few riders can go with him obviously.
  • Small field sprint at the finish. MVdP can be defeated only by WVA and JA. Other sprinters will be dropped in Poggio.
The issue is who from the 3 to win. Positioning and recovery after 300 km can play big against MVdP. I'll go with WVA for the win.

I do think it's a good year for an outsider to win. With Wout, Alaphilippe and VDP such big favourites, any moves in the final after the Poggio will be down to them to close. Reminds me of how Goss or Ciolek won their MSR. That said I was sure we were going to have a shock winner in 2019 out of that big group after Poggio but Julian still sealed the deal even then.

Hmm, can we actually get cross-wind action this year? The wind seems to be uncharacteristically strong for this region but is from the north, so I don't know if the Aurelia is too hidden to make the wind play a role.
I don't think it's likely.
The road is generally well sheltered and it's hard to find long stretches of straight road where echelons could form.

TRENDING THREADS