• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar is not helping

You go down the wrong path mainly because you feel it’s the only way you can win the biggest prizes and you get a bit messed up mentally yet all the time you have it within yourself naturally to perform at levels you hadn't really dreamed of. Honestly? I have never been fitter and riding better than I was at the end of this 2010 season, at the world championships and the Commonwealth Games. No drugs could have got me to that condition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...aw-Garmin-rider-enjoy-season-of-his-life.html

I thought EPO was more potent than that

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Miller is indeed helping. Himself. He's FOS. That quote from him is the standard PR bit he's been trained to spew as part of the "new, cleaner peloton". That's why he's been welcomed back into the UCI fold. He's willing to help serve the Kool-Aid.

images

Yes, these comments fit right in to the current party line from the authority figures in cycling. Remember, we had Alan Lim saying about a year ago that PEDs really don't help all that much physically and that they are more of a placebo effect for the mentally weak. Then we had Phil Liggett saying on Versus over the summer that since the same guys who get busted "allegedly" for drugs come back and keep winning (this time clean of course) that this proves that either the drugs really don't do much or the tests return false positives.

So boil it all down and you have the current PR spin consensus: "don't worry about drugs cycling fans, because even if the riders are on drugs they really don't have much of an effect on the outcome of the races. But the riders probably aren't on drugs because the tests are mostly pretty sketchy. But again, even if they are on drugs then it's a level playing field and the same guys would win clean anyway."

LOL. What an f'ed up situation.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Yes, these comments fit right in to the current party line from the authority figures in cycling. Remember, we had Alan Lim saying about a year ago that PEDs really don't help all that much physically and that they are more of a placebo effect for the mentally weak. Then we had Phil Liggett saying on Versus over the summer that since the same guys who get busted "allegedly" for drugs come back and keep winning (this time clean of course) that this proves that either the drugs really don't do much or the tests return false positives.

So boil it all down and you have the current PR spin consensus: "don't worry about drugs cycling fans, because even if the riders are on drugs they really don't have much of an effect on the outcome of the races. But the riders probably aren't on drugs because the tests are mostly pretty sketchy. But again, even if they are on drugs then it's a level playing field and the same guys would win clean anyway."

LOL. What an f'ed up situation.

2608749689_c8e805b24d.jpg

He said "It looks like a storm is coming". Yes, it certainly is.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
What a load of old ****. The fact that'd he'd been training and racing with EPO for years meant he'd been training and recovering at a much higher rate than he would have been on rice cakes and carb drinks - he SHOULD be able to perform at a similar level that he once did (not that I believe he isn't doping right now).

David Millar is a self-styled white knight.

If you want dopers who've actually helped the fight against doping, then look at Jörg Jaksche, Jesús Manzano, Filippo Simeoni, Patrik Sinkewitz or Emanuele Sella.

David Millar's approach is to come back and preach the "don't do what I did" repertoire, all the while perpetuating the "it's a few bad apples" line from his safe vantage point. He came back with Gianetti's Saunier Duval team - are we meant to believe that he was so vociferously anti-doping when he teamed with the likes of Piepoli and Riccò? The whole thing is like it's designed around making him look like he's turned over a new leaf whilst simultaneously not rocking the boat at all.

David Millar's done about as much for the fight against doping as Alvaro Pino.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The whole thing is like it's designed around making him look like he's turned over a new leaf whilst simultaneously not rocking the boat at all.

s5884_300.jpg

"I can see ALL obstacles IN MY WAY"

Congrats dude, you've broken through. Coffee and donuts in the next room. The whole gang's in there.

BotanyBay said:
s5884_300.jpg

"I can see ALL obstacles IN MY WAY"

Congrats dude, you've broken through. Coffee and donuts in the next room. The whole gang's in there.
To be fair, I've been saying that about Millar since I heard his self-serving interviews in the '07 Tour, and especially since his whining about his breaks being chased down last year.

I just haven't been saying it here. But it was nice of you to be patronising all the same.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well folks thats got me of the fence at last!...
I realy wasnt sure what to make of Miller, and ya know...being a fellow Brit I guess its naturual to wanna hope he is what he claims but thats just shot that hope to bits.
He aint part of the sallution he`s part of the problem...and that load of bull just proves it.
Im fecking fed up of such crap.:(

Ok. I'm gonna open myself up for all sorts of abuse now because I like David Miller. But i see nothing at all wrong with what he said until the last line. Now I'm gonna interpret that to mean that although he used, of course he did, he may not have worked as hard as he should back then and depended on the drugs to get him by. Now that he is clean? hopefully, well as much as a pro cyclist can be, he is working harder to get the best of his abilities. Which he undeniably does have talent.
Ok, let the games begin :)

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, perhaps he could have worded it better, but I really don't think what he said was that bad. I guess it depends on whether you think he was doping this past year or not. I personally don't think he was. So, from that perspective, I understand him to be saying that he was on the best form of his life, better than when he was doping. I don't find that unbelievable.

I doubt he intended to state that he is in better form than he could ever achieve with doping. It sounds more like hyperbole to me.

JayZee said:
Interesting, perhaps he could have worded it better, but I really don't think what he said was that bad. I guess it depends on whether you think he was doping this past year or not. I personally don't think he was. So, from that perspective, I understand him to be saying that he was on the best form of his life, better than when he was doping. I don't find that unbelievable.

I doubt he intended to state that he is in better form than he could ever achieve with doping. It sounds more like hyperbole to me.

That is what i'm thinking.

at 33, millar tries to predict how long he'll continue racing and references armstrong as a good example for him of someone racing well into his late 30's. :rolleyes:

anyone who can't put one and one together to figure out what's going on at garmin is beyond my help. :cool:

lean said:
at 33, millar tries to predict how long he'll continue racing and references armstrong as a good example for him of someone racing well into his late 30's. :rolleyes:

anyone who can't put one and one together to figure out what's going on at garmin is beyond my help. :cool:

Well, if that is what he said then that may make one rethink things

veganrob said:
Well, if that is what he said then that may make one rethink things

Millar says:
At the start of this year I did wonder how long I had left but now I know for sure. I can do another two years at least at elite level and really there is no reason why I shouldn’t continue all the way to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014. That's my target now and I will only be 37 which isn't actually that old compared to some who have been racing in the peloton recently. Lance!

it's open to some interpretation but it certainly gave me a weird feeling.

TRENDING THREADS