• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar whinging on doping ban for Olympics!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mrs John Murphy said:
On the subject of Millar and his book - does he tell us much about his time at SD with Piepoli, Mayo and Ricco?
According to this blog, Millar talks about Riccò juicing right there in the team bus, in plain sight. However, the author of the blog says he hasn't actually read the book (because he couldn't stomach it), he's talking from summaries he's read.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
He had tested positive and was claiming that it was the result of him using his asthma inhaler.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ams-deny-doping-after-non-negative-tests.html

But there was anti-doping Dave, as with Vino, 'giving them the benefit of the doubt'

That report doesn't even mention Millar. And seeing as Piepoli wasn't sanctioned for that particular incident, giving the benefit of the doubt seems to be the sensible thing to do in retrospect.

I see you have about 800 posts. I bet you can't find a single one where you've ever said anything positive about an active cyclist.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
GotDropped said:
The mission of Olympic Spirit is "to build a peaceful and better world in the Olympic Spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play - Olympic Spirit strives to inspire and motivate the youth of the world to be the best they can be through educational and entertaining interactive challenges. Olympic Spirit seeks to instill and develop the values and ideals of Olympism in those who visit and to promote tolerance and understanding in these increasingly troubled time in which we live, to make our world a more peaceful place."

Interesting quote. I wish it applied to the IOC and how they determine 'who gets the Olympics'.....espcially this part, "the Olympic Spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play - Olympic Spirit".

Just read GJ similar response...much more eliquent!

Funny how we continue to hold the athletes to super high standards, yet the people running the sports continue to bend the rules to their liking...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I love how the media loves to present Millar as this fighter for clean cycling. Can someone tell me what other than defend dopers like Dertie and attack whistleblowers like Landis that Millar has actually done to help clean up the sport? As for 'Dertie must be clean because he is so good, it sounds like something ripped off from an Armstrong apologist c2001.

My thoughts too. 'Farcical' indeed. Millar defending successful dopers and looking down on caught dopers. STFU, please.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
GotDropped said:
Who are you referring to?
Who else.. dear david. no sooner he was back from being suspended - he was doping again. who actually develops a mystery allergy to the sun, and now somehow its cured? gotta have some crap excuse for turning yellow dont you???

mwbyrd said:
Interesting quote. I wish it applied to the IOC and how they determine 'who gets the Olympics'.....espcially this part, "the Olympic Spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play - Olympic Spirit".

Funny how we continue to hold the athletes to super high standards, yet the people running the sports continue to bend the rules to their liking...

Eliquent? Hipocritcal more like it. GJ acuses other posters of attacking the strawman when he himself uses the same tactics to get his point across (just like you right now). I don't give a F about how they determine "who gets the Olympics" for this argument. If you want, open another thread and talk about that there. I just don't want to see cheaters like David Millar let back into the Olympics. I think the rule change is a great idea. But that's just my opinion.

danjo007 said:
Who else.. dear david. no sooner he was back from being suspended - he was doping again. who actually develops a mystery allergy to the sun, and now somehow its cured? gotta have some crap excuse for turning yellow dont you???

Ok, when did he dope when he came back from being busted? I'm not saying he didn't, or defending him in any way, but do you have proof?

mwbyrd said:

Great point, the IOC "bend the rules" so the athletes should be able to dope and cheat as much as they like.

he has already has the badge and.......

Millar went to Sydney. He did not do much of a ride and was criticised for his attitude in the camp, treating it a one big long party. I cannot find a link but something about he was not going to be selected again with an attitude like that, was the drift. Of course by the time he was selected for 2004, he was "born again" (for the first time) and renounced his "party boy" image of years before.
He wants to go there again ! I never seem to be able to make enough allowance for the depths of his cynicism for what he no doubt sees as "punters". At a boy Dave. Keen to tell the World of 2004 that after them nasty police had visited, he had lots of calls of support, especially from his bestest mate Lance. Don't worry boys the Om**** is safe with me. We got the message Dave.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I love how the media loves to present Millar as this fighter for clean cycling. Can someone tell me what other than defend dopers like Dertie and attack whistleblowers like Landis that Millar has actually done to help clean up the sport?

As for 'Dertie must be clean because he is so good, it sounds like something ripped off from an Armstrong apologist c2001.

Tell me David, why so silent about your time at SD with Mayo, Piepoli and Ricco?

why?

cos he was on gear himself.

remember the interview with Times journalist Kimmage, when Vino was popped during the middle of the Tour, and he expressed surprise, and said he was his favorite cyclist.

Only surprised insofar as something showed up in his sample.

Guy is a liar and a fraud.

This shouldn't be news, but I have to thank the Clinic regulars for putting together the links in this thread. Pretty valuable stuff. My interest in and memory of the Millar story were fairly minor, and I assumed he could possibly really be clean (unlike most), since he had so few results of note after returning to the fold.

But man, that quote about Bertie yesterday really took the cake. I might've just assumed before that he was a spectacularly stupid man -- I believe he's been known for that for some time. But now seeing that he has said stunning -- just stunning -- things about supporting Vino, and supporting Piepoli, and castigating Flandis...

Where before I would've thought him a simpleton; a stupid tosser, now I watch and read his little act, and I think -- this man is actually evil.

Still shilling Armstrong?! (with the obvious parallel he wants to be drawn from his support of 'consistent=clean' Pistolero) STILL?!! OMG, dude..

Keep burning it down, Floyd.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
GotDropped said:
Don't insult my intelligence in regards to the straw man fallacy when you tried similar tactics in your response in regards to the Olympics not being about winning. You're right, you have no-where to go, the Olympics is all about fair play, something that a doper/ex doper/self admitted cheat shouldn't be a part of. Something he admitted to ONLY after getting caught red handed.

**or maybe he should have said the EPO was for his dog... or grandmother.

Olympics not about winning? Hahahaha.

Originally Posted by GotDropped View Post
Don't insult my intelligence in regards to the straw man fallacy when you tried similar tactics in your response in regards to the Olympics not being about winning. You're right, you have no-where to go, the Olympics is all about fair play, something that a doper/ex doper/self admitted cheat shouldn't be a part of. Something he admitted to ONLY after getting caught red handed.

**or maybe he should have said the EPO was for his dog... or grandmother.

El Pistolero said:
Olympics not about winning? Hahahaha.

Hold your horses there mate... what you have quoted has been taken completely out of context. I'll let you re-read and retract before I say any more on the subject.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Publicus said:
Help me understand the logic of the bolded language. If someone is consistently bad or I presume average, then this is proof that he is not doping. But if someone is consistently good, then it is proof that he is doping. IMO that's faulty logic.

You're being deliberately difficult, Publicus, right? :)

If a rider is consistently bad then yes (IMO anyway), it probably is proof that they aren't doping. I agree with you, it's not conclusive proof. However, it is at least proof that they are consistently bad at doping or need a better doping regimen/product.

Millar said that AC being consistently extra terrestrial was proof of his cleanliness, when it is more likely just proof that his doping has been consistently good.

I might have read Millar's book as I think his various blogs have been well written, but his statements on AC have made me think again. There have been too many fairy story cycling books over the last decade, I could do without another one.

hrotha said:
According to this blog, Millar talks about Riccò juicing right there in the team bus, in plain sight. However, the author of the blog says he hasn't actually read the book (because he couldn't stomach it), he's talking from summaries he's read.

That's interesting because it goes to show how shallow Millar's anti-doping is. If he were as anti-doping as he says he is, why didn't he blow the whistle?

As Blackcat says - Millar is fraud.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
That's interesting because it goes to show how shallow Millar's anti-doping is. If he were as anti-doping as he says he is, why didn't he blow the whistle?

How do you know he didn't? Because he didn't tell you?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
How do you know he didn't? Because he didn't tell you?

of course he spat in the soup and told the authorities about Riccó and Riccó got banned and the peloton turned on Millar.......or that is how it should have been.

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
On the tread 'Moron of the Month' we discussed Millar's cowardice and lack of moral fibre. I haven't read anything in the last 24 hours to change my opinion of him. He truly is a prize idiot.

I'm embarrassed to come from the same country as him. To see him wearing the Great Britain Olympic team kit that graced the shoulders of Redgrave, Brasher, Mary Peters, Coe, Ovett, Hoy and the like - that would be too much. Glad the BOA has stuck to its stance.

I heard the stories about him in Sydney 2000 too. He admits he was an a**ehole back then but doesn't seem to realise he's still one now. Those comments about Contador? Just jaw-dropping.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:

As Blackcat says - Millar is fraud.

The hero and villain labels seem to get applied so arbitrarily in cycling, and the players begin to believe their own made-up stories. Millar probably believes he is some anti-doping crusader. I don’t know how else you could explain the stupid things he has said. I guess he has to believe his own lie in order to believe in Armstrong’s …. Or in Contador’s.

I mean, what is the REAL difference between someone like Ricco and Vino ? How is one a hero and one a villain? Very similar (drug-enabled) attacking styles if you watch them. But Millar chooses to apply the arbitrary labels....and now he is part owner of the Garmin team. We are then supposed to believe in the "clean team" ?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Maybe because Matxín had no problem with the UCI and is the DS of a top team to this day?

The same team that failed to get a ProTour licence and was excluded from the Tour despite having two GT winners? They're hardly rolling out the red carpet.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Markyboyzx6r said:
I'm embarrassed to come from the same country as him. To see him wearing the Great Britain Olympic team kit that graced the shoulders of Redgrave, Brasher, Mary Peters, Coe, Ovett, Hoy and the like - that would be too much. Glad the BOA has stuck to its stance.

Not sure that I would be totally confident of everyone in that list of names!

Mambo95 said:
The same team that failed to get a ProTour licence and was excluded from the Tour despite having two GT winners? They're hardly rolling out the red carpet.
Mostly because of Gianetti, who is even worse, not only in doping-related matters. And anyway, if Millar had been a true whistleblower they would have been done for, none of these "ASO doesn't like us but hey we're still a top team" shenanigans.

If he actually tipped off the relevant authorities regarding Riccò but didn't say anything about the rest of the team, that doesn't mean he was a crusader for clean cycling, that just means Riccò is a jerk and everyone singles him out because they hate him.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
If he actually tipped off the relevant authorities regarding Riccò but didn't say anything about the rest of the team, that doesn't mean he was a crusader for clean cycling, that just means Riccò is a jerk and everyone singles him out because they hate him.

Again, how would you know what did or did not go on? All you've seen connecting Millar and Ricco is a single sentence.