• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
"If he had stood up and manned up four years ago, he'd be racing the Tour de France now," Millar said. "He'd have a different book out. He'd have not lost a penny. He'd be admired by young people. He would have a different life ahead of him. He'd be in a decent mental state. He'd be sober.

irony.

How those transfusions and recovery therapy going for you Millar. You are a lier dude.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
irony.

How those transfusions and recovery therapy going for you Millar. You are a lier dude.

I am very troubled by Millar's remarks.

These are some sensitive, personal items there and Millar crosses the line.

If anything, Millar shows his true, hypocritical colors....

Not a Millar "fan". After this, you can add me to the column of "strongly disliking" the guy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Kimmage asked Millar in 2007 if he was surprised Vino popped positive, and he was "shocked", "Vino was his favorite rider". Yeah sure he was shocked, shocked he got caught. Millar keeps on digging a hole of lies.

It's official, Millar is scum. Doping up to do your job is one thing (and yes it sucks) but coming out publicly to enforce Omerta with character assassination puts you in a special boat of a$$holes - a special failboat captained by Lance Armstrong. Earth to Millar: a rat like you is suppossed to abandon the sinking ship, not jump back on it. Moron.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
"If he had stood up and manned up four years ago, he'd be racing the Tour de France now," Millar said. "He'd have a different book out. He'd have not lost a penny. He'd be admired by young people. He would have a different life ahead of him. He'd be in a decent mental state. He'd be sober.

Why not take it one step further, Dave? Why not go ahead with "He'd still have a father-in-law"? I mean, you've already stabbed him in the face with the "He'd still be married" quote, so what's wrong with one more step?

What an a s s.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
That comment coming from some people, I might agree.

But coming from Millar? The guy who denied, denied, denied and continued to deny that he ever doped.....until he was nailed to the wall with evidence and finally confessed...at which point he acted as if coming clean was his initiative all along.

Hypocrite doesn't even begin to describe him.

(Something tells me that I'm going to get yet another angry PM from a rider reading this forum)

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
(Something tells me that I'm going to get yet another angry PM from a rider reading this forum)

who sent you the first.

I dont think Dave has done himself any favours whatsoever with those quotes

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
who sent you the first.

I dont think Dave has done himself any favours whatsoever with those quotes

Sorry, a PM is a Private Message. The "Private" must be respected.

What I can say is that the last one surprised me.......apparently the rider didn't like that I said I think he's clean :confused:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:
why not take it one step further, dave? Why not go ahead with "he'd still have a father-in-law"? I mean, you've already stabbed him in the face with the "he'd still be married" quote, so what's wrong with one more step?

What an a s s.

+1

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
What I can say is that the last one surprised me.......apparently the rider didn't like that I said I think he's clean :confused:

Ok.. thats got me stumped.. ;)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
damn, and i actually liked Millar before reading this stuff.... can't believe I bought into his crap for so long, I guess I never looked too deep because I liked his story of redemption.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
He does have a point though. I'm glad he has spoken out, but FL robbed goodhearted people for his fund, lied and forever lied, and only opened up when the authorities had very little time to do anything. WTF didn't he speak up before???

Millar doped, paid his penalty and has been very vocally anti-doping since. He held his hands up when he was caught, unlike FL.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Wait I'm sure I read an interview with Millar(can't remember where a newspaper/cycling mag, I'll recheck through my cycling mags)and it was along the lines of this;

"We've noticed that when I'm in a break, the speed of the peloton increases....."

So maybe he has to say these things to make sure those mean boys riding bikes don't ride so fast and stop him from winning. Anyway I'm sure now the peloton will decrease the pace when he's in a break now.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
damn, and i actually liked Millar before reading this stuff.... can't believe I bought into his crap for so long, I guess I never looked too deep because I liked his story of redemption.

a couple years ago millar and wigans were the go-to guys when you needed an angry soundbite against doping. if millar has an excuse other than being back on the stuff it's that he's protecting his boss.

ed rader

May 25, 2010
Visit site
erader said:
a couple years ago millar and wigans were the go-to guys when you needed an angry soundbite against doping.

ed rader

He is a straight talker, he is still vehemently anti-doping, but he has a point. Why did FL leave it so long? Don't tell me you don't feel a tiny bit cynical.

A

Anonymous

Steve Tiford's take on Millar (and Vino and recent Positive tests) pre-Landis bomb dropping and pre-Millar inserting his foot in his mouth. Tilford's been around a looonnnng time and I think he's got it about right.

"I don’t have any sympathy or forgiveness for the guys that are caught positive. The drugs that are being used nowadays are “too good” and drastically change the results. My stance is a life time ban. This two year thing is just like a timeout for these guys. It is obviously still condoned or none of these guys would have jobs once their suspensions are over."

"David Millar. Everyone seems to like him now. He had so, so many excuses why he took EPO to win the World Championships in 2003. They had to keep in a police station for two days before he admitted that he took the drug. Then, he became remorseful. Where were those thoughts before he cheated the rest of the cycling community? Anyway, he became the spokesman for not using drugs and the fans applaud him."

http://stevetilford.com/2010/04/27/doping-favorites-forgiveness/

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
samerics said:
Millar doped, paid his penalty and has been very vocally anti-doping since.

Sure. He also didn't offer up anything more than he had to, helping to ensure that the house of cards would continue to stand. Big whoop.

He held his hands up when he was caught, unlike FL.

You're wrong there. He lied, he tried to evade, he called Philippe Gaumont "a f-ing nutter" when it came out that Gaumont had confessed to team-wide doping, and he stonewalled and stonewalled until police showed him the two empty containers of EPO (I believe it was Eprex) they had found at his home.

So no, he didn't "hold up his hands" -- he tried to snake his way out, just like Floyd.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
samerics said:
He is a straight talker, he is still vehemently anti-doping, but he has a point. Why did FL leave it so long? Don't tell me you don't feel a tiny bit cynical.

i think if landis would have beat his case he wouldn't have come clean. i think landis is bitter and is partially motivated by revenge...but like lemond said i mostly do believe him. i certainly am not a FL fan even tho i named my cat floyd after FL won the tour :).

ed rader

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Clearly Millar is being a douche, but clearly Landis is a douche-bag. I'm glad Landis has come out with the accusations and come clean, but I will never forgive him for taking peoples money for his defense. Sorry Floyd you are and will forever be a douche-bag, enjoy the douchiness!!!!

samerics said:
He does have a point though. I'm glad he has spoken out, but FL robbed goodhearted people for his fund, lied and forever lied, and only opened up when the authorities had very little time to do anything. WTF didn't he speak up before???

Millar doped, paid his penalty and has been very vocally anti-doping since. He held his hands up when he was caught, unlike FL.
WTF didn't Floyd speak up before? Because he thought/hoped omerta (Mafiosa term for "code of silence") would continue to work for him, as it's obviously working for Millar.

Only when the godfather rejected him (no help from Lance in getting on a real team or into the TOC) did he realize adhering to omerta was no longer benefiting him, and so he could afford to violate omerta (i.e., speak up).

I think being unable to ride in the TOC, a race he had won in the past, was the straw that broke Floyd's determination to adhere to omerta.

samerics said:

May 20 comes along, and all of the sudden I am defending and supporting Floyd Landis.

I might as well go completely nuts and defend Millar here as well.

I suppose that I can see how some 'decent' folks within cycling might carry a grudge with Floyd. And, how the coming clean after four years of the wild PR campaign could be hard to swallow.

I definitely appreciated LeMond's acceptance the best, but I could understand how Millar could be perturbed. Then again, I am not a big believer that his team is clean any more either.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS