• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderation

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another topic: I think the rules are very strict when it comes to talking about rider's looks, but in comparison talking about their weight seems underregulated. Although that is more performance-related, I think it is a much bigger issue. All this "he needs to lose x kilos" etc. is really promoting more and more weight loss. In a sport where eating disorders are so common I think the awareness for how dangerous this is and how many riders, pro and hobby, already suffer from anorexia and bulimia, should be raised much more.
I know this is not in the rules, yet, but it should be thought about. It doesn't need to be punished with an immediate ban, but I would appreciate a mod stepping in.
I haven't seen the thread that this arises from, though other comments allow me to make a confident guess.

But I really think that if there is any discussion of a rider's weight that is going to be influential on their nutritional habits it is the discussion between a rider and their team manager/coach, not a few dozen punters on a forum that they almost certainly never look at.

We don't need rules that suggest that this is a place of great influence and authority, and therefore that carries heavy responsibility: we really are not.

Last edited:
I can't believe how much has changed in just a few weeks. Then, you broke the rules and it was pages and pages and pages of complaining about the injustice of justice, now, no one gives a damn about these miscreants, they can rot in the virtual sin bin for all anyone cares.

I can't believe how much has changed in just a few weeks. Then, you broke the rules and it was pages and pages and pages of complaining about the injustice of justice, now, no one gives a damn about these miscreants, they can rot in the virtual sin bin for all anyone cares.

Because you'd always come in with your "Well... if they got banned they probably did something vevvy bad and we should always listen to the admins because they despite not actually being members of this forum totally knows what they're doing and rules right are always right and should never be questioned even if they're as stupid as riders not being allowed to give bottles to fans during races."
Gets really tiresome in the end. I guess we just accepted that the admins will never accept that simple information is a good idea.
Of course, some of us actually did find out why logic was banning; would you guess... it was because of an admin who completely misunderstood a perfectly fine post.

It is striking that a mod (Red Rick) was able to deal with a rather serious situation (the whole sexism talk in the Uttrup thread) without banning anyone, whereas as soon as the admins gets involved, it's straight to the banning.

Reactions: Cookster15
Do keep up RHD. That was not the last time.

I sure haven't noticed him being banned between that incident and the current one. (The previous one being at the end of March.)

But my point still stands; Admins ban entirely too much.
They should stick to just dealing with spammers, and let the Mods (who are actual forum members) deal with other stuff.
Might that mean that some problematic posts will be allowed to remain?
Probably.
Is that better than banning people left and right?
Absolutely!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS