• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderation

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If only there were a way posters could act to make sure this didn't happen...

You're right... it's not like there have ever been any cases of a ban that turned out to clearly be unjustified. :rolleyes: Most rule breaks can be dealt with simply be removing the "offensive" (parts of) posts, without banning anyone.

Maybe, if we're lucky, the migrating of hosting platforms will mean that those who are currently mods will become admins (too), and those who are admins will just...

"Bye..."

Or, they can stick around dealing with spammers.

Listening to the usual suspects cheering on their mates in the sinbin, I find myself thinking of Paul Kimmage's question to Lance Armstrong: what is it about these people that they admire so much?

I'm inclined to think it's that they actually break the rules and aren't just armchair anarchists who like to claim there should be no rules.

Reactions: jmdirt
And yet you're saying that Admins have banned these people for minor rule infractions. I ain't sayin' who banned 'em or why. But hey, if you wanna believe that's what I'm saying, that's what you're gonna believe. Cause that's the way you operate. Imagining things.

Coz. You. Don't. ***. Know.
Admittedly, I don't know either, but there have been enough cases of unnecessary bans - and one case is the limit - that my natural first thought will be that there probably was no need for banning.

But, man, wouldn't it have been awesome if the Forum Migration had caused all the bans to somehow be "lost"?

there have been enough examples of unnecessary bans that it's a natural first assumption that most bans probably weren't necessary.
No there has not. You make assumptions, that's all. You are a fact free environment.

We have one example of one 'unnecessary' ban, some idiot who got sinbinned once for one day for something. A silly ban for something silly. Most people would learn to laugh at that but you've gone and turned it into a major injustice and proof that no ban is ever legit. That's just dumb.

For the record, I don't care who gets banned or why they get banned. I ain't no moderator and never want to be a moderator and I ain't gonna go round second guessing their unpaid labour on behalf of the rest of us.

Reactions: red_flanders
We have one example of one 'unnecessary' ban, some idiot who got sinbinned once for one day for something.

Admittedly, I don't know either, but there have been enough cases of unnecessary bans - and one case is the limit - that my natural first thought will be that there probably was no need for banning.

And let's not forget the case of a user getting banned for using the phrase "A doped [rider]", with the context clearly not being that said user was accusing the rider of being doped.

For the record, I don't care who gets banned or why they get banned. I ain't no moderator and never want to be a moderator and I ain't gonna go round second guessing their unpaid labour on behalf of the rest of us.

The mods - well, mostly RR - are doing great.
We don't have to go that far back to find an example of some pretty bad behaviour, and RR just, dealing with things in a reasonable way, deleting the problematic content and... not banning people.

Yes so much of these bans could just be deleted posts, or not even posts, just delete the content and say "removed for being offensive etc.". That would also act as a deterrent, people could know why some content was removed, and it's done so on other forums.

Because now when someone gets banned, no one knows why, for how long, just speculation. It just brings anger and confusion. Banning active members who are the heart of the community is not the way to go.

Last edited:
Yes so much of these bans could just be deleted posts, or not even posts, just delete the content and say "removed for being offensive etc.". That would also act as a deterrent, people could know why some content was removed, and it's done so on other forums.

Because now when someone gets banned, no one knows why, for how long, just speculation. It just brings anger and confusion. Banning active members who are the heart of the community is not the way to go.
So if people are the 'heart of the community', they can do whatever they want?

I'm late to most threads so I miss most of the offending posts. Hopefully there is a warning for minor things (some might complain about consequences for a minor infraction, but don't know that there has already been a warning or two).

So if people are the 'heart of the community', they can do whatever they want?

No, of course everyone should be given the same fairness.
Problem is, it seems that too often the people in charge forgets to err on the side of caution and instead just bans people, forgetting that users being banned is far more disruptive to the forum than the vast majority of posts.