• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Modern Era

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When did it begin?

1969 TDF 22 stages over 4110 km (2553.83 mi) average speed of 35.409 km/h (22.002 mph). 116h 16' 02" Mercyx 1st. Coincidently he also won not only the general classificiation, but the points classificiation and mountains classificiation as well. Eddy Merckx rode on the winning team, FAEMA, won the combination classification and the combativity award. Not to mention winning races season long.

2009 TDF 3,459.5 km (2,150 mi)
Winning time 85h 48' 35" (40.31 km/h/25.05 mph)
Contador 1st.

3mph difference. 1969 30 hours longer. A host of modern training techniques. Shorter stages. Nutrition experts. All sorts of recovery devices. Better equipment. Can someone explain the modern era to me??

Yours, Stumped.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
For me it was when LeMond took over from Hinault as the top man (coincidentally when I started watching cycling). It was new approaches taking over from traditional values

The Tour distances you mention dropped in 1988.

Others will say it was about 1991-3 with introduction of EPO.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
For me it was when LeMond took over from Hinault as the top man (coincidentally when I started watching cycling). It was new approaches taking over from traditional values

The Tour distances you mention dropped in 1988.

Others will say it was about 1991-3 with introduction of EPO.
Lemond was one of the riders who started the changes that are with us to this day.
He was the first to bring a lawyer along to contract negotiations in the early 80's as well as focussing on fewer races after his hunting accident.
But the other thing that changed cycling forever was the influx of riders from outside Continental Europe at the same time and the "Mondialisation" of cycling in the late 80's.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I don't think you can define it.
How about 1930 (or so) when metal rather than wood wheels were first allowed. I think derailleurs (rather than flipping hubs) were allowed either just before or just after WW II. By the mid-50's the bikes were pretty similar to today. Team composition has changed a lot. National teams (and regional French teams) were in place until the early 1960's I believe. It was a real problem as pros had professional teams that paid them to ride in other races, but the TdF broke up the teams. Helmets were mandated (the entire race, couldn't be removed on final climbs) around 2008 about when time bonuses were dropped.

To me personally, I will say Jacques Anquetil brought in the modern era. The equipment and courses became reliable enough for somebody to win 5 times. I believe Philippe Thys would have been the first 5-time winner if not for WW I. I believe he won the longest TdF ever, if only he could have ridden against Merckx, both in their prime and on the same equipment... in fact if every TdF winner could ride against each other, I put Thys first and Merckx 2nd, but I suppose I am now off-topic.

boardhanger said:
When did it begin?

I think professional road racing more so than many other sports over the past two decades has striven to be 'modern'. Since sports are governed by rules you could argue that professional cycling allows more flexibility within its structure (and no I don't mean with regards to its drug policies ;- ) so that the hardware is always cutting edge, the training gadgets, support/mechanical abilities, race radios, in-car race video etc... Broadcasting is very modern, allowing us to follow live online using Google maps while we watch riders BPM, watts and speed in real time.

Prior to the last two decades the industry and the sport wasn't in such a hurry to keep up. I agree with the few comments mentioning the fact that since GL opened North America's eyes to the sport that things began to change more rapidly. I'm sure that big business/money became a factor then and we began to see a change in the sport that allowed it to start setting trends that the consumer was willing to follow. In turn this spurned new businesses to get involved and compete with each other for a piece of the market therefore firmly keeping the sport 'modernized'.

my 2c anyway...

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
TheDude said:
Wow, I don't think you can define it.
How about 1930 (or so) when metal rather than wood wheels were first allowed. I think derailleurs (rather than flipping hubs) were allowed either just before or just after WW II. By the mid-50's the bikes were pretty similar to today. Team composition has changed a lot. National teams (and regional French teams) were in place until the early 1960's I believe. It was a real problem as pros had professional teams that paid them to ride in other races, but the TdF broke up the teams. Helmets were mandated (the entire race, couldn't be removed on final climbs) around 2008 about when time bonuses were dropped.

To me personally, I will say Jacques Anquetil brought in the modern era. The equipment and courses became reliable enough for somebody to win 5 times. I believe Philippe Thys would have been the first 5-time winner if not for WW I. I believe he won the longest TdF ever, if only he could have ridden against Merckx, both in their prime and on the same equipment... in fact if every TdF winner could ride against each other, I put Thys first and Merckx 2nd, but I suppose I am now off-topic.

I choose 1969 specificaly because during 1967 and 1968, the Tour was contested by national teams, but in 1969 the commercially sponsored teams were in

TRENDING THREADS