• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Montepaschi Strade Bianche, Saturday

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

TRDean said:
Any word on the form of Lovkvist??? Last years winner??

Lofkvist?

Rode ok in andalucia and almeria, nothing special, but held with the leaders fine. finished consistently in andalucia, only his TT let him down.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Lofkvist?

Rode ok in andalucia and almeria, nothing special, but held with the leaders fine. finished consistently in andalucia, only his TT let him down.

No Lovkvist...I spelled it correctly...thanks for the info anyway...

A

Anonymous

Ad Rock said:
Actually, he's kinda right... Thomas had the spelling of his name changed on the Sky Roster this year...apparently on his passport and all other IDs its Lofkvist.... and he's been spelling it with a v as is a common alternate spelling in Sweden... http://www.teamsky.com/profile/0,27291,17543_5771624,00.html

Basically Sky were the first team to bother spelling his name right :D

It was also spelt with an F when he appeared at the olympics.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Basically Sky were the first team to bother spelling his name right :D

It was also spelt with an F when he appeared at the olympics.

Hey Dim...are you affiliated with the team? Or is that fansite just something that is yours? It is a nice site by the way!! I did not know about the name spelling...he is one of my favorite riders and I hope he has a great season for Sky!!

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Well, the other teams didn't spell the name wrong really. They spelled it the way Thomas did at the time.

:D Interestingly most of the press are now using the F, i dont know if sky sent out a memo or something, but they are gradually all falling into line.

TRDean said:
Hey Dim...are you affiliated with the team? Or is that fansite just something that is yours? It is a nice site by the way!! I did not know about the name spelling...he is one of my favorite riders and I hope he has a great season for Sky!!

The fansite is unofficially officially unofficial. I like Thomas as a rider, hes hard to find much out about though, one of the quiet ones, seems to keep himself to himself. No Skeletons, but not much else either.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ingsve...I am very intrigued by Thomas. I am under the impression that he is wanting to peak later in the year...is this true? I mean do you expect anything from him in Italy upcoming? He seems like a very quiet person. That is why I think I like him so much...not much fan fare. Was he a great rider as a young man? Anything regarding his younger years would be of interest, to me anyway.

Thanks!!

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
What kind of things would that be? I've followed Thomas since he was like 17 so I've probably heard most of what's available.

Just generally, Ive not seen much written about him, not seen many interviews (maybe there are in sweden) but not much outside of that. Isnt a compulsive twitterer or a facebooker etc. You dont read many stories about him. Even amongst other riders ive never seen him mentioned much etc. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
that's just being Swedish isn't it?

Keep schtum

How else can they hope to keep the rest of the World away from Swedish girls at midsummer and the Stockholm Archipeligo in August?

oooops:cool:

dimspace said:
Just generally, Ive not seen much written about him, not seen many interviews (maybe there are in sweden) but not much outside of that. Isnt a compulsive twitterer or a facebooker etc. You dont read many stories about him. Even amongst other riders ive never seen him mentioned much etc. Not that theres anything wrong with that.
Well he was seen as quite a talent a few years ago, and people talked about him being the next big thing etc. Then he underperformed for a few years, much due to being in the wrong teams.

There's been some interviews with him in norwegian press at least, mostly because he's a friend/earlier roommate of EBH. Their personalities are quite similar however, and they don't tend to say very much. When EBH was asked about Löfkvist, he said "He is good in the hills. He is also good in the time trials". Always keeping it simple :p

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
that's just being Swedish isn't it?

Keep schtum

How else can they hope to keep the rest of the World away from Swedish girls at midsummer and the Stockholm Archipeligo in August?

oooops:cool:

Could you narrow down the dates in August please?:cool:

TRDean said:
ingsve...I am very intrigued by Thomas. I am under the impression that he is wanting to peak later in the year...is this true? I mean do you expect anything from him in Italy upcoming? He seems like a very quiet person. That is why I think I like him so much...not much fan fare. Was he a great rider as a young man? Anything regarding his younger years would be of interest, to me anyway.

Thanks!!

Yes, he was very good even at an early age. He started out as a MTBer and turned to road as a first year junior I believe and immediately crushed everyone at the swedish junior championships. Later that year he came 4th in the Worlds Junior TT as well and 6th in the road race.

As a junior he raced a fair amount in european junior races. He and Thomas Dekker were usually among the stongest riders then I recall.

He was quickly regarded as the biggest cycling talent sweden had seen since Gösta Petterson (1971 Giro winner). Though it's one thing to be very talented and another thing to turn talent into a successful pro career. He's been developing bit by bit since then, turning pro at a very young age and then stagnated a little at FDJeux.

One thing you usually hear is that he is very determined and a very hard trainer. I believe Stapleton once said that they instead had problems slowing him down but that's it's better to hold someone back than to have to push them.

Yes, he has taken it a little easier so far this season and will probably not be in as good a shape this early as he was in the last few years. He still seems to like Italy though and I'm sure if he has decent legs that he will try as much as he can in Eroica and Tirreno. Alot of focus is on the Tour though and also his focus will be more on pure climbing as well.

Yes, he's quite laid back but he's not afraid to set high goals for himself. He and EBH are good friends and they sort of have a similar thing going.

dimspace said:

Ya, thats' true. But I guess that can be said about alot of people. Usually the swedish commentators on Eurosport have good contact with the swedish pros so they always have the latest news about what's going on.

Unfortunately the media in Sweden isn't very interested in cycling the last 5-10 years. Whenever there's a story about cycling it's always about doping with journalists taking it as given that all cyclists cheat and "replace bodyparts after each race".

It's gotten slightly better in the last year or two though since cyclists took two out of swedens five medals at the 2008 olympics and with Emma Johansson doing very well in the womens world cup and with Löfkvists pink jersey in the Giro etc.

I think it's sad though that no publisher in Sweden was interested in publishing Marcus Ljungqvists book about his last year as a cyclist so he had to publish it independently himself in the end.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Could you narrow down the dates in August please?:cool:

In my admittedly limited experience (3 visits), its all of it. Climate is fantastic. It is utterly beautiful and the icy blast of a quick skinny dip is the most amazing cure for British hang-ups.

The two points are a non-sequiter though.

I cannot say for certain that Archipeligo in August = girls

I try not to have any regrets about my life but if i had one I wish I had better acquainted myself with Sweden as young man:cool: it would be equal first with having got into obsessive cycling earlier.

Notice how ingsve is ignoring my posts? ;)

Anyway, trying to get back OT, having a healthy number of Scandies in SKy can only be good for British cycling. They will win stuff = modestly - and at the same time know exactly when to say ****** rather than ****. Hopefully Brits will subconsciously absorb the message ' if I cycle more perhaps I will be more Scandinavian in my outlook on life'*

*Apart from the bit that is getting the ferry to Copenhagen to get ****ered - we can do that already.

So Wiggo/Kloden/Menchov - who is it going to be?

Why have the rest of Sky dropped so far back? I am guessing to go for a breakaway stage win?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Ywith Emma Johansson doing very well in the womens world cup and w.

Apart from cycling my other obsession is windsurfing, in both sports there is a completely hot Swedish girl called Emma Johansson.

It is such a great country...

(Queen Victoria - I havent forgotten you - dont worry)

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
So right now in Italy it's raining but weather forecast say sunny and (quiet) warm for tomorrow.

As there has been many rains in the last weeks, the ground is supposed to be soaked of water.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
:D Interestingly most of the press are now using the F, i dont know if sky sent out a memo or something, but they are gradually all falling into line.

The fansite is unofficially officially unofficial. I like Thomas as a rider, hes hard to find much out about though, one of the quiet ones, seems to keep himself to himself. No Skeletons, but not much else either.

Yes Dim, we'll let you believe that was all your doing!:D

It will be interesting to see how he goes tonight in MPE

Evans is going to rip it apart....!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS