• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

moondance banned??

krebs303 said:
he went way profane in several posts and predicted his own demise. it was quite entertaining:D

Agree though by the looks of it, it was mainly the 1 post which has been deleted (so far). I guess i feel a bit guilty since it was in responce to my post that he started replacing all adjectives with one which begins with the letter f.

I think Tony Montana deserves a large share of the blame as well seeing as it was Moondance looking up to this perfect role model which made him post the words he did.

On the + side, his street cred will be improved upon return.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Why is moondance banned? He doesn't seem like the poster to do something outrageous?
That's what I thought when I read his post this morning, chuckling to myself and shaking my head. He played Russian Roulette with six shots in the cylinder.

Ferminal said:
Well if you're going to do it...

I wonder what it took to trigger this tirade? (I'm guessing a lot).

Nothing. He was doing fine untill Goodfellas was mentioned. And then bam. Every post did have at least 3 :D (together with at least 3 swear words ) in them so he wasnt angry . Probably just high on Gesink getting podium.

A

Anonymous

Vonn Brinkman said:
Can anyone get me the link where Moondance wrote this crazy post? haven't read it and I am wondering where it is. Thanks guys.

I believe its been deleted, it mentioned the F work multiple times from what i remember, and he followed it up with a premonition of his suspension

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
suspended or banned?

I wished they fixed that so they could differentiate between bans and suspensions. It's almost a given he is simply sent to the sin bin to cool off, given how we all know him and what we know about what triggered it.

But every time "banned" shows up underneath a prominent poster's name, we seem to have to go through these "outrage" and "nooo!" and "surely not?" threads that seem to presume/fear the worst, when "suspended" would be a clear flag that he ain't lost to the forum unless he chose so himself.

And if it amazed anyone that some action was taken, then you don't get several of the more recently enforced forum "don'ts", let alone several all in the space of 1 post, not so subtly aimed at those that help to run the forum for the benefit of all.

I doubt if he was the only one spoken to that evening, at least the whole OT rant(s) and conversation suddenly stopped mid-flow. But it appears he was the only one who got instant time out after it. Only mods have all the info as to why, and who was dealt with how, and why seem to have been dealt with harshly, and others not at all. Maybe he had previous warnings for bypassing the inbuilt censor, and others didn't, for instance.

Only Moondance knows what triggered it. He sounds clever enough to know what he was doing, anyway.

Mods are (quite rightly) turning a blind eye at times, and let things go a bit, as long as all involved show good nature, a capacity to know the line between a chuckle and drop down the cliff, and when to stop. Especially after threads are "all but dead", etc.

That thread was pinned and will be busy again tomorrow. Some bad judgement, or someone didn't care.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
suspended or banned?

He got a week and it was (as explained above) for spectacularly ignoring the rules regarding offensive language and circumventing the language filter.

It wasn't me that suspended him as I wasn't first on the scene. I will say this though - Moderators can still see the content of posts such as this one after they have been deleted and I can assure everyone that his punishment was if anything a tad light...

regards,
Martin

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
He got a week and it was (as explained above) for spectacularly ignoring the rules regarding offensive language and circumventing the language filter.

It wasn't me that suspended him as I wasn't first on the scene. I will say this though - Moderators can still see the content of posts such as this one after they have been deleted and I can assure everyone that his punishment was if anything a tad light...

regards,
Martin
Yeah, that was pretty spectacular but I'm surprised it earned him as much as a week given that his behaviour is typically above board. When I read the post I assumed he was committing hara kiri, it was completely intentional (and funny to boot although I appreciate that a mod cannot acknowledge that). Swearing on posts is topical today (per the TFF thread). I understand where the mods are coming from - we've complained about the state of the forum and you've responded with a set of rules. Now you have to support the rules you created. Fair enough, it's in our interests. IMO colourful language is a far lesser problem than off-topic posts, trolling, and insults between members. I thought maybe 'doing a Moondance'™ would get you circa 48 hrs in the bin while attacking another member would stretch things out to a week. My two bits.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I posted in the moderators thread that a rule list should be more easy to see, the rule list should be better and that their should be a "ban time" list so everybody knows what the punishment is for an offence. The rules are too vague and need to be more clear.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
How about this?

1. Use your common sense in posting.

2. There are no hard and fast rules as to sanctions. They are adapted to fit each individual case.

Susan

NEWSFLASH SUSAN!

There are 3 threads about this issue with quite a few posts about punishments about them. Doesn't that tell you something?!!!!

What is the point of "covering up" swear words with asterisks when you can't swear at all in the 1st place. Seems a bit stupid to me. You have even admitted that a lot has slipped through which says a lot in itself!!!!

Actually my main thought on this subject is that you all have too much time and too little to do.

Honestly, aren't you adults? Do you need everything spelled out for you, including rules for acceptable social behaviour?

Get back to discussing cycling -- without insulting others, ACF -- and stop worrying about which swear words you can or can't use.

Susan