More pressure on UCI? Swiss gov't to act on IFs

Aug 24, 2010
101
0
0
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sport/Swiss_vow_to_lead_sport_corruption_fight.html?cid=28858632

The article doesn't mention doping, (despite the quotes seemingly being aimed right at cycling) but this move will affect future "donations" for anti-doping equipment, among other things, I imagine.

Switzerland must become a model in fighting corruption in sport, says Swiss Sport Minister Ueli Maurer.
Non-profit sporting entities are, for example, exempt from Swiss anti-corruption laws – last updated in 2006.
“But the first responsibility lies with the federations, then we need a law to punish those based here,” he added.
If nothing changes, Switzerland may be seen by many as offering a ‘safe haven’ to non-transparent and mismanaged sports organisations, as it had done with the banks until not long ago.”
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
The quotes you've picked don't seem aimed at cycling at all.

It may have escaped your notice, but there are some rather larger sports governed out of Switzerland, one of which had a rather open corruption scandel recently.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
if it is a politician and his lips are moving he's lying! ;)

Probably doing a bit public stratalies and at the same time looking for an extra % on his 'anti-dpoing machine' , they aren't cheap you know:D
 
Aug 24, 2010
101
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
The quotes you've picked don't seem aimed at cycling at all.

It may have escaped your notice, but there are some rather larger sports governed out of Switzerland, one of which had a rather open corruption scandel recently.
Yes, like football. Unlike cycling. Which has a great reputation for "transparency" and good management.:rolleyes:
 
Aug 24, 2010
101
0
0
Benotti69 said:
if it is a politician and his lips are moving he's lying! ;)

Probably doing a bit public stratalies and at the same time looking for an extra % on his 'anti-dpoing machine' , they aren't cheap you know:D
Except they acknowledge the reputation that their banks had, and they did move to address that.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
mtb Dad said:
Except they acknowledge the reputation that their banks had, and they did move to address that.


The Swiss can do what they want pretty much and have to answer to no one. it would different if they were part of the EU, but so many of the most powerful figures in the world bank there means that they all let the Swiss go about their business, ie banking the worlds ill gotten gains in its quiet functionary manner as it has always done.
 
Aug 24, 2010
101
0
0
Benotti69 said:
The Swiss can do what they want pretty much and have to answer to no one. it would different if they were part of the EU, but so many of the most powerful figures in the world bank there means that they all let the Swiss go about their business, ie banking the worlds ill gotten gains in its quiet functionary manner as it has always done.
That may have been so. Which makes you wonder why the international federations all felt compelled to go there.

But it might be ending, at least the beginning of the end: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7941717.stm

Arms dealers and ousted dictators I can understand, but what do sport feds need confidentiality for? Besides lab machine donations? :eek:

Wikipedia says the total deposits by foreigners declined 28%.
With recent changes in the Swiss bank secrecy regime the assets held by foreign persons in Swiss bank accounts declined according to data by the Swiss National Bank (SNB) by 28.1% between January 2008 and November 2009.
But there's no citation.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
mtb Dad said:
That may have been so. Which makes you wonder why the international federations all felt compelled to go there.

But it might be ending, at least the beginning of the end: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7941717.stm

Arms dealers and ousted dictators I can understand, but what do sport feds need confidentiality for? Besides lab machine donations? :eek:

Wikipedia says the total deposits by foreigners declined 28%.
But there's no citation.
I cant imagine the Swiss banking system that for years took money of the most despicable humans ever born suddenly changing heart. That maybe asking for evidence of where money has come from but don't research anything to deep.

Politicians and bankers are the same greedy breed and wikipedia is about as believable as LA's PR
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS