• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mosquera positive in the Vuelta

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Funny how there's a sudden spate of Spanish positives. If I didn't know the UCI was a whiter-than-white organisation that would never seek to gain a financial advantage from positive tests, I'd start to think something shadier was at hand.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Garcia will blame:

a) a cow
b) a dog
c) his grandmother
d) twin brother
e) candy from South America

Clentador has raised the bar, we have to start thinking more creatively.

"I took a ride with a strange doctor in a delorean and we went back to 1992, when I had a sip of Chiappucci's water. Anyway, it doesn't count as EPO wasn't illegal in 1992."

or

"I accidentally drank a cup of urine collected from Marco Pantani in 1997, thinking it was apple juice".

As I noted in another thread, EPO is still likely used quite a bit, just microdosed, usually during down times, and masked as well as possible. There are also quite a few forms of EPO, some more easy to detect than others. EPO is also much less intrusive, and safer than a blood transfusion.

Though we don't know for certain yet, one could guess part of the hydrolyzer that Mosquera and Garcia were using was do facilitate, maybe cover, EPO use.

Doesnt seem like the most unlikely stage to get tested in if he was hoping he wouldnt get tested or something.

Not sure if im being a pedant here but the cyclingnews article has an inaccurate caption on the photo. David Garcia did not win stage 15 this year as it was Carlos Barredo who led them over the finish line that day. Garcia took the honours on stage 15 in 2008.

Bicicleta said:
http://www.farodevigo.es/deportes/2...squera-limpio-sustancias-dopantes/487199.html

Well apparently Mosquera did not test positive during La Vuelta, but he is still not out of the water.
Trying to get out of it on a technicality.

Of course all the illegal substances are out of the system at the time of the test. O let's say mixed with system at the time of the test. He was not trying to mask a substance but a behavior of a substance which can not test positive for. Hah. Probably somebody said this already in this long thread, but I am too lazy to read it all.:)

Any info on this?
La Federación Española puede sancionar a Ezequiel Mosquera si estima que se inyectó el hidroxietil. El margen de maniobra es amplio a la hora de decidir el alcance del castigo, de un simple apercibimiento a dos años de sanción. Lo habitual, incluso en el supuesto intravenoso, era que no hubiese suspensión de licencia. Historias como la de Mosquera se repiten a lo largo del año y ni siquiera se hacen públicas.
The Spanish Federation can suspend Ezequiel Mosquera if they consider he injected himself with hydroxyethyl. There's plenty of leeway regarding the harshness of the punishment, from a simple warning to a two-year ban. There was usually no licence suspension, even in case of IV intake. Stories like that of Mosquera's occur recurringly throughout the year and they're not even made public.
Basically the story goes positives for hydroxyethyl are commonplace and no one ever gets suspended for it. The "Contador case" would have made things different somehow. Is there any truth to this?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Any info on this?

Basically the story goes positives for hydroxyethyl are commonplace and no one ever gets suspended for it. The "Contador case" would have made things different somehow. Is there any truth to this?
it appears mosquera is arguing that his hes is what wada terms a specified substance, or that it came from a common-use food or product not intended for performance enhancement (source: as.com)

the procedural avenue for this argument is provided by the wada code rule 10.4.
in brief, it states that a suspension can be eliminated or shortened under specific circumstances, that is, if it was not a ped and proved how it entered his body.

this is usually a bs line when it comes to hes, though it is true that hes is contained in many products as a food additive and in some hair dyes.

it's usually not difficult to tell the different hes varinats by their molecular mass and concentrations.

mosquera and sevilla and garcia and the finnish c skiers most likely used it as a blood expander.