• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most boring/ exciting Tour de France in last decade?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
PremierAndrew said:
Gigs_98 said:
Carols said:
My list:

2007 - had it all
2009 - Alberto vs Lance!
2006 - Hey as it happened it was awesome!
2010 - pins and needles as it happened
2011 - Evans rides like a champ
2014 - ok I like Nibali :).
2008 - Ricco was exciting until he was tossed :(
2013 = No comment
2012 - YAWN.....
2005 - Disgusted throughout
2009 on second spot? Its your personal opinion but I am just very surprised

2007 & 2009 as the top two. Who won those? Now who is Carols' favourite rider? There you go :D

:)

Well in 2007 he wasn't, I was rooting for Chicken! I was devastated when he was tossed :( By 2009 he had my total respect after the 2008 Giro and Vuelta and when he took down Lance (I Intensely Dislike Lance) and showed such fortitude against his team backstabbing him he became my favorite. Geez 4 GT in 3 years, the guy was and is a phenom!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Luis Ocaña vs Merckx were great Tours...although one sided a bit. Fignon vs Lemond was incredible. For comic Tours I'd have to say when Landis lost his mind. Sastre defeating Evans was great also. All the Lance Tours sucked cause of what we knew at the time. 2015 is pretty lousy. 2011 and 2012 were horrible. 2013 was ok. 2009 was good. 1988 and 1997 were excellent. off topic: is T.J. going to make a bloody move or what? He races just like Evans used to. But I think he's at his limit and may not be able to make some attacks like Valverde and Nibali and Quintana and Contador are doing once in a while.

2008 Tour:

1 - Cancellara spends the stage whining because there isn't a prologue. Valverde destroys everybody on a short uphill finish, which had a sense of inevitability about it. Soler crashes, which sadly did too.
2 - Not quite worthless flat stage as it's slightly rolling. Hushovd wins. Phil & Paul giggle like schoolgirls.
3 - Worthless flat stage, but Caisse want rid of the jersey so let the break go. Romain Feillu gets into yellow. Menchov loses time in a completely pointless fashion, because of course he does.
4 - ITT. Schumacher obliterates everybody.
5 - Worthless flat stage. The Cav show begins.
6 - Uphill finish at Super-Besse. Riccò hits the afterburners to win comically easily. Schumi falls and loses the yellow jersey to Kim Kirchen.
7 - Intermediate stage which Luís León Sánchez wins from a late attack. Racing among the lead bunch is so conservative not even Menchov can find a way to get caught out.
8 - Worthless flat stage. On a weekend! Why of course - this is the Tour. Bob Stapleton earns a special place in hell for having Kim Kirchen - in the maillot jaune - in the leadout. He is bailed out somewhat when Cav does win. Triki Beltrán is pulled from the race for doping, after it is revealed that he literally tried to escape through a field.
9 - Of the riders who are concerned by the fact that CERA is now detectable, Riccardo Riccò is none of them. He rides away on the Col d'Aspin at the kind of speed normally reserved for Benny Hill clips to an easy win. His doping is so obvious that Efimkin attacks pointlessly for 2nd, so that he can be the official winner later. No other action behind.
10 - Jens Voigt and Fabian Cancellara drop Valverde on the Tourmalet. Really. Andy Schleck loses time due to not eating. Evans spends his one mandated attack per GT on a counterattack after Fränk Schleck & Kohl go away. Saunier Duval do their thing and Piepoli wins. Evans takes yellow.
11 - Moisés Dueñas is bounced from the race for doping. The break goes, CSC monitoring it with Arvesen. He wins.
12 - Worthless sprint stage. Riccò and Piepoli are bounced from the race for doping, to the surprise of nobody, least of all Efimkin. Saunier Duval withdraws to focus on other matters, such as finding new sponsors and riding the Volta a Portugal.
13 - Worthless sprint stage, without even a good doping scandal to enliven it.
14 - Worthless sprint stage, but they thin out the bunch a bit so Óscar Freire wins & safeguards the maillot vert.
15 - Simon Gerrans of all people wins an MTF from the break. Denis Menchov showcases his skills by launching a blistering attack, and then falling over on his own going uphill. Sastre and Kohl gain time and Evans gets isolated. Fränk Schleck takes the maillot jaune. To add insult to injury, somebody then steps on Evans' dog, which is something you MUST NEVER DO. The Italians take a sample of Valverde's blood to put the next two years of cycling soap opera into action. Cav quits the race.
16 - Stefan Schumacher launches a day long solo escapade over two HC mountains. He's caught by the break, and John-Lee Augustyn (aka the talented African climber on Barloworld) is first over Bonette, only to crash straight afterward and cede the stage win to Cyril Dessel. Sastre asks for permission to attack from Schleck, who denies it. Menchov is dropped on a descent. From a group with both Schleck brothers in it.
17 - Fresh from yesterday's ride, Stefan Schumacher goes in the day-long break again. Chris Froome gets into the break, and three years later this will be used to justify his transformation to the rider we know now. When the group is caught by the leaders, he is dropped shortly after Johan van Summeren. Sastre attacks and wins the Tour de France while Evans waits for Kohl to chase him down for him. The Schlecks hold a grudge against him for life for this.
18 - The break goes, because Cav's gone home so Stapleton doesn't care. Burghardt wins.
19 - The break goes, because Cav's gone home so Stapleton doesn't care. Chavanel finally gets a stage win.
20 - Schumacher stomps Cancellara in the ITT, because he wasn't paying attention when we found out CERA was detectable. Bernhard Kohl falls off the start ramp and still puts in an unexpectedly good result. Sastre defends his lead. Schleck inevitably loses 2nd place to Evans to prove Sastre was right. Schleck continues to whine about Sastre for several years anyway.
21 - Worthless sprint stage.

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thx libertine seguros for btinging back great memories.

Thx you for including Froome performances because somehow i forgot he was in those GT.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
16 - Stefan Schumacher launches a day long solo escapade over two HC mountains. He's caught by the break, and John-Lee Augustyn (aka the talented African climber on Barloworld) is first over Bonette, only to crash straight afterward and cede the stage win to Cyril Dessel. Sastre asks for permission to attack from Schleck, who denies it. Menchov is dropped on a descent. From a group with both Schleck brothers in it.
Word is that Augustyn's bike is still descending the Bonette :D

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
2008 Tour:

10 - Jens Voigt and Fabian Cancellara drop Valverde on the Tourmalet. Really. Andy Schleck loses time due to not eating. Evans spends his one mandated attack per GT on a counterattack after Fränk Schleck & Kohl go away. Saunier Duval do their thing and Piepoli wins. Evans takes yellow.
Cancellara was in the break of the day. Voigt was insane in the brain, though he dropped just before the top of the climb, but got back on shortly afterwards. He and Canc drilled it on the descent and the flat before Hautacam.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Libertine Seguros does such a great job of summarizing the TdF's. Completely missed 2006, 2007, 2008. Appreciate it :)

Need to keep this thread close for reference.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
i remember late GC-tension in 2005 giro d italia (clibers vs. descender) with a rather outside winner. but im sure libertine knows more ;) (i thought he is girl!?)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
2008 Tour:

1 - Cancellara spends the stage whining because there isn't a prologue. Valverde destroys everybody on a short uphill finish, which had a sense of inevitability about it. Soler crashes, which sadly did too.
2 - Not quite worthless flat stage as it's slightly rolling. Hushovd wins. Phil & Paul giggle like schoolgirls.
3 - Worthless flat stage, but Caisse want rid of the jersey so let the break go. Romain Feillu gets into yellow. Menchov loses time in a completely pointless fashion, because of course he does.
6 - Uphill finish at Super-Besse. Riccò hits the afterburners to win comically easily. Schumi falls and loses the yellow jersey to Kim Kirchen.
7 - Intermediate stage which Luís León Sánchez wins from a late attack. Racing among the lead bunch is so conservative not even Menchov can find a way to get caught out.
8 - Worthless flat stage. On a weekend! Why of course - this is the Tour. Bob Stapleton earns a special place in hell for having Kim Kirchen - in the maillot jaune - in the leadout. He is bailed out somewhat when Cav does win. Triki Beltrán is pulled from the race for doping, after it is revealed that he literally tried to escape through a field.
9 - Of the riders who are concerned by the fact that CERA is now detectable, Riccardo Riccò is none of them. He rides away on the Col d'Aspin at the kind of speed normally reserved for Benny Hill clips to an easy win. His doping is so obvious that Efimkin attacks pointlessly for 2nd, so that he can be the official winner later. No other action behind.
11 - Moisés Dueñas is bounced from the race for doping. The break goes, CSC monitoring it with Arvesen. He wins.
12 - Worthless sprint stage. Riccò and Piepoli are bounced from the race for doping, to the surprise of nobody, least of all Efimkin. Saunier Duval withdraws to focus on other matters, such as finding new sponsors and riding the Volta a Portugal.
14 - Worthless sprint stage, but they thin out the bunch a bit so Óscar Freire wins & safeguards the maillot vert.
15 - Simon Gerrans of all people wins an MTF from the break. Denis Menchov showcases his skills by launching a blistering attack, and then falling over on his own going uphill. Sastre and Kohl gain time and Evans gets isolated. Fränk Schleck takes the maillot jaune. To add insult to injury, somebody then steps on Evans' dog, which is something you MUST NEVER DO. The Italians take a sample of Valverde's blood to put the next two years of cycling soap opera into action. Cav quits the race.
17 - Fresh from yesterday's ride, Stefan Schumacher goes in the day-long break again. Chris Froome gets into the break, and three years later this will be used to justify his transformation to the rider we know now. When the group is caught by the leaders, he is dropped shortly after Johan van Summeren. Sastre attacks and wins the Tour de France while Evans waits for Kohl to chase him down for him. The Schlecks hold a grudge against him for life for this.
18 - The break goes, because Cav's gone home so Stapleton doesn't care. Burghardt wins.
19 - The break goes, because Cav's gone home so Stapleton doesn't care. Chavanel finally gets a stage win.
20 - Schumacher stomps Cancellara in the ITT, because he wasn't paying attention when we found out CERA was detectable. Bernhard Kohl falls off the start ramp and still puts in an unexpectedly good result. Sastre defends his lead. Schleck inevitably loses 2nd place to Evans to prove Sastre was right. Schleck continues to whine about Sastre for several years anyway.
greaaat :D

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
2008 Tour:

Awesome write up, no way i could do it I hated that Tour so much. Half of it seemed a farce, with saunier duval and schumacher. Then you had CSC with 3 of the best 6 riders in the race, and engines like Voigt and Cancellara, While Evans had for his team Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Pluto, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Jiminy Cricket and the Kool-Aid man for support. Popovych was going to be the big signing to be a domestique deluxe, unfortunately he forgot the peleton was located in front of the race caravan.

I think a ton of people enjoy the 2011 tour so much despite most of the action in the last week because of how much the fans were to it, since that was the first time in many years that the French saw a legtimate shot at getting a podium in a long time.

2012 is ranked the worse because there was a consensus winner before the Tour even started because of the race route. At least the other years there was 2 or 3 riders mentioned, or the Tour got destroyed due to crashes (Last year being a perfect example). I remember thinking that Bradley Wiggins didn't win that Tour, he should have been forced in the hotel room in Paris to eat his weight in baked beans then have to drain a bottle of laxatives immediately afterwards. I hated that Tour so bad, the DVD is still sitting in my closet sealed.

I guess i have most of the last 10 years in similar position, because i truly only kept track and watch day to day for the first time in 2003, with the famous 3 way battle. Before that I would catch a stage here or there, maybe look at the night highlights if what i read was exciting,. 2003 I started because of it being the 100th anniversary, and Lance going for 5. Since then, the only ones that stand out to me is 07 and 11. I love Nibali, but last years tour felt like a funeral procession, especially after Froome and Contador crashed out. Felt like he could have won it by 30 minutes if he desired.

This year, when the most intriguing battle is none of the jersey or the podiums ( at least so far), but Sagan versus the Finish Line, then that probably says it all. When a sprinter is relied upon to be the most fascinating aspect of a Grand Tour, then you might have a dull tour.

TRENDING THREADS