• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most Farcical Tour Ever?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

This is why Cadel cannot win again - the only market he opened up was Tibet.

Prudhomme said he didn't realise the extent of Evans's impact until he read an interview with the 35-year-old champion about how well the win had been received by Tibet.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...osts-tours-global-profile-20120702-21daw.html

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Will a Vuelta team of Froome,Henao,Uran,Nordhaug,Lovkvist,Dowsett,Swift,Stannard,Flecha.
Be more dominant than the tour de France team?

For the most part, no. But Froome has no chain around his neck. None at all. He doesn't play ball in the Tour, drug supply is cut. He doesn't get a crack at any GT. He knows Sky have the supremacy right now. Porte is testament to that. He knows what Riis and Contador had. Nothing like what Sky have. You think Froome can't put two and two together? Did you see Brailsford's graph of the projected career path of cyclists? Froome was so low it isn't funny.

Froome knows he won the genetic response to doping lottery. For some reason, he responds in an amazing fashion. Like LA did. Maybe even better. He also knows that Sky have him by the proverbial balls. He played ball. Far too much to lose. He knows if he wins the Vuelta or at worst, places next to Contador, come next year if Wiggins falters, he'll get the nod. He's still an acquired British citizen, on a British team and he's played ball. Sky can't squeeze him because he can squeal and vice versa. Now Uran, Henao, Lovkvist and Flecha are good riders. But they're not on Froome's program. Not what the inner sanctum from the Tour squad are on.

Won't matter. Froome vs Contador. Mountainous Vuelta. It will be explosive. I'd bet on Froome winning. I really think the Sky program and his physiological respone to it is that good. It's practically unbeatable ATM. That's not a good thing. No Wiggins there and no liability, the ridiculous factor goes out the door. Froome's ego and desire to show his power will come out. Anyone doubting now, if you are after the Vuelta, go follow another sport...you'll be better of doing it.

180mmCrank said:
My Opinion again but I think somewhat informed...

<snip.....

The Palmares are impressive, but have you ever broken 5:45 on Burnaby Lake?

Then again, John Lecky once confided to me that they used to break 6m every day (a timed 2k piece was a classic end to a Frank Read workout) with standard blades in a Pocock in Coal Harbour.

Franklin said:
1. They certainly did not decline in the 80ies.

2. They sure could row:

Rowing 33 7 8 48 (Total GDR)
East Germany (GDR) 8 1 1 10 (Seoul)

But I am adamant that your statement "we wouldn't know where to start if we even wanted to dope" is hyperbole. You might not have known, but I do know enough about (university) rowing (especially in those years) that this simply is nonsense. Rowers are very well educated people and smart enough to figure it out ;)

The most impressive GDR rowing performance was 1976. Something like 12 of 16 possible gold medals.

There may have been some individual activities, but there was no culture of doping in rowing - at least not in the west. It really is that simple. Things may have changed, but the fundamental drivers have not changed all that much.

There wasn't even an awareness of the benefits of caffeine. Not even in the coaching ranks.

It takes more than a curious, intelligent athlete.

It takes a whole supporting cast and easy access and lots of reference cases. It also takes the corrupting influence of large cash prizes, professional athletes and large endorsement contracts. There is a great, recent, story about a Romanian female rower expressing incredulity that her Canadian counterpart didn't get a comparable $50k bonus for a gold medal.

Nobody comes up to you before you get on the water at a regatta and asks, "Do you need any help." At least they didn't back then.

Have there been cases of doping in rowing? Yes. Humans are human.

Doping in cycling (swimming, weightlifting, boxing, athletics), by contrast, is an ingrained part of the culture - and it starts young. Very young. Think of cases like Genevieve Jeanson. This is why deification cases like Lance and Wiggins are so concerning. What do you need to do if you want to be like Lance?

Dave.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Watch the stage aftwerward. Disgusting. Wiggins leading EBH out for Cav in the final sprint. It's not like I think Goss and Sagan are clean, far from it, but Cav made them look like meagre whelps in the sprint. Roy (think he was the Frenchman) and Lulu had a reason to be ****ed.

FFS! It's professional sport, not school sports day.

The Velominati have it right:

Rule #70: The purpose of competing is to win. End of. Any reference to not achieving this should be referred immediately to Rule #5.

Rule #5: Harden The **** Up.

Sagan knows the score. He rides to win and dishes it out when he can. Goss would as well if he was fast enough.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Just to help you out cause you're new, Wiggins is called Wigans cause when he left Garmin he mocked them by saying riding for Garmin was a bit like playing for Wigan. He was off to play for Manchester United.

I appreciate that, but is it used affectionately or just as abit of a dig, if it's the latter then it does kinda expose you biased starting point, yes? Could be seen as somewhat playground bully style.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Just to help you out cause you're new, Wiggins is called Wigans cause when he left Garmin he mocked them by saying riding for Garmin was a bit like playing for Wigan. He was off to play for Manchester United.

And you'll doubtless know that Wiggo was actually taking the p*ss out of his father in law, a life long supporter of Wigan!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
And you'll doubtless know that Wiggo was actually taking the p*ss out of his father in law, a life long supporter of Wigan!

Yeah and his 2007 anti-doping statements were taking the p*ss out of all the clean riders ;)

D-Queued said:
There may have been some individual activities, but there was no culture of doping in rowing - at least not in the west. It really is that simple. Things may have changed, but the fundamental drivers have not changed all that much.

There wasn't even an awareness of the benefits of caffeine. Not even in the coaching ranks.

It takes more than a curious, intelligent athlete.

It takes a whole supporting cast and easy access and lots of reference cases. It also takes the corrupting influence of large cash prizes, professional athletes and large endorsement contracts. There is a great, recent, story about a Romanian female rower expressing incredulity that her Canadian counterpart didn't get a comparable $50k bonus for a gold medal.

Nobody comes up to you before you get on the water at a regatta and asks, "Do you need any help." At least they didn't back then.

Have there been cases of doping in rowing? Yes. Humans are human.

Doping in cycling (swimming, weightlifting, boxing, athletics), by contrast, is an ingrained part of the culture - and it starts young. Very young. Think of cases like Genevieve Jeanson. This is why deification cases like Lance and Wiggins are so concerning. What do you need to do if you want to be like Lance?

Dave.

Yup. That is pretty much it. Not much of a doping culture and not enough hard cash to really drive it.

Available now! Tour De Farce 2012.

TDFD12XB.gif

I'm holding to the theory that the UCI & ASO supported this shameful malady for the relative assurance that the 100th Anniversary Edition will shine in comparison.

Can't wait for the showdown between Contador and Wiggins!!!!!!

Edge of the seat stuff!

Divine epicness forthcoming:

Farce II: A Brave New Century

TubularBills said:
Available now! Tour De Farce 2012.

TDFD12XB.gif

I'm holding to the theory that the UCI & ASO supported this shameful malady for the relative assurance that the 100th Anniversary Edition will shine in comparison.

Can't wait for the showdown between Contador and Wiggins!!!!!!

Edge of the seat stuff!

Divine epicness forthcoming:

Farce II: A Brave New Century

I wonder where they found "11+ hours of action" in this Tour. Maybe it is a misprint and they meant 11+ minutes. Or maybe they completely cut out everything to do with the GC "battle."

Galic Ho said:
Couldn't agree more. Stopped watching after the first Alpine stage. Nothing to see anymore.

Took a 6-7 day hiatus. My sleeping patterns were better off for it. Spent more time at the gym. I am better off for it.

Watched the last Pyrenean stage. Glad Valverde won...Froome could quite easily have won that. Had a good laugh at the full frontal nudity the producer couldn't cut during the last climb. Was one of the few moves that made the race at least interesting.

Watch the stage aftwerward. Disgusting. Wiggins leading EBH out for Cav in the final sprint. It's not like I think Goss and Sagan are clean, far from it, but Cav made them look like meagre whelps in the sprint. Roy (think he was the Frenchman) and Lulu had a reason to be ****ed. The Brits on team Sky will clean up the Olympic medals. They'll win both Gold medals on offer, the road race and the ITT. Will pick up a silver or bronze as well in the ITT if they get a second rider. Can't wait to hear what Spartacus will have to say. Cav's sprint for his second win...fastest I have ever seen a sprinter go. Without him, two breakaways would have won. Alienesque sprinting level compared to everyone else.

I was actually sympathetic to Cav before that. Didn't like it one bit.

I will say this though. Good to see Froome's missus ripping at the throat of Wiggins whench. Tell the old slapper to get back into line and remind them that Wiggins win was a courtesy. Chris had heaps more in the tank. I approve of Froome's GF. Looks like Tricia Helfer of Battlestar Galactica fame. Nice looking sort. Wiggins wife? Looks like your typical Anglo-saxon small town annoying wallet drainer that entertains herself by making every else's life in her immediate circles existence pure misery. Cat fight....!!!!:p

But apparently Cav's girl, page 3 model, whatever her name is, sided with Froome's Saffer GF in the Twitter war. Maybe Cav is still peeved at Sky? Yeah, because 3 stage wins when you can win 6 is satisfaction? Right? Don't know.

Though I will state the Tour of 2007 was a farce performance wise. But gosh, was it entertaining. Bottle's doping regime that last week was amazing. Outperformed both Evans and AC. But this year wins. Whole team Sky was a farce. Yes stage 17 in 2006 was a joke, plus 2007 was hardly clean, but we still had a race. Other could still for most of the race compete. But it's like thehog said during the first week. Wiggins was going to hold yellow all the way to Paris. Nobody could attack, that's how much of a farce it was.

If Froome is let off the leash at the Vuelta, he'll win. AC can't match his chrono. FFS, the top two guys made Cancellara over 40km look lame. Ac only beat him by 3 seconds on a climb heavy chrono. Once. Froome can arguably climb like AC and do an ITT 30-45 seconds faster. Vuelta will be a joke if Froome is let loose. Giro next year? Porte will race it. Will be another joke. Yeah...looking like the 2012 Tour might have dealt a death blow to pro cycling. Vaughters and co must be kicking themselves in the foot for the approach they've taken with the clean cycling message since 2008. It's all gone up in smoke. Nobody can stay at the level they were...they'll get the scraps Sky disposes of if they do.

Agreed with everything but the bold part: Froome will have the Tour & the Olympics in his legs- Even Contador himself after that brutal Giro couldn't quite get in top form at the Tour-no matter how they "elevate the recovery program" the same will happen to Froome-but not doubting he'll be among the best....

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I wonder where they found "11+ hours of action" in this Tour.

Well... there was Luis Leon time-trialling away from the breakaway to win his stage, the one day battle for points between Voeckler and Kessiakoff, a sprint where Greipel beat Cavendish, Spartacus winning the prologue... some dancing by Sagan... TJ ignoring his punctured team leader...

And 9 hours of Sky riding untroubled at the front, plus footage of one of their domestiques putting a chunk of time into Cancellara in a time-trial.

Great stuff.

How do I order it?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yeah and his 2007 anti-doping statements were taking the p*ss out of all the clean riders ;)

Professional sport take the p*ss full stop. I'm gobsmacked that anyone expects anything different. Wiggo falls into the category of athletes who appear teflon-coated when it comes to the PR/media schooling techniques that are applied and thus shoots from the mouth. It makes him a great interview subject, but does compromise his chances of being ranked up there with Bertrand Russell when it comes to philosophy and I doubt a career in politics beckons.

Galic Ho said:
Watch the stage aftwerward. Disgusting. Wiggins leading EBH out for Cav in the final sprint. It's not like I think Goss and Sagan are clean, far from it, but Cav made them look like meagre whelps in the sprint. Roy (think he was the Frenchman) and Lulu had a reason to be ****ed. The Brits on team Sky will clean up the Olympic medals. They'll win both Gold medals on offer, the road race and the ITT. Will pick up a silver or bronze as well in the ITT if they get a second rider. Can't wait to hear what Spartacus will have to say. Cav's sprint for his second win...fastest I have ever seen a sprinter go. Without him, two breakaways would have won. Alienesque sprinting level compared to everyone else.

I was actually sympathetic to Cav before that. Didn't like it one bit.

Cav's performances seem in line with his usual level to me. He has been much faster than all the other sprinters for a good few years. He still gets dropped when the other climbers make the cut on the hills. He just hasn't made the jump in climbing ability that the other Sky boys have. I would be surprised if the other teams can't get rid of him in the Olympics. His team mates might drag him back on mind.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I wonder where they found "11+ hours of action" in this Tour. Maybe it is a misprint and they meant 11+ minutes. Or maybe they completely cut out everything to do with the GC "battle."

Nah, they just intercut 11 hours of the 2010 Giro.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Nah, they just intercut 11 hours of the 2010 Giro.

and photoshopped the Pink into yellow....

It doesn't really matter though cos the only people who are gonna buy it are the Brit fans who are similar to the fans at 60's beatles concerts, screaming the whole time.;)

uphillstruggle said:
Cav's performances seem in line with his usual level to me. He has been much faster than all the other sprinters for a good few years. He still gets dropped when the other climbers make the cut on the hills. He just hasn't made the jump in climbing ability that the other Sky boys have. I would be surprised if the other teams can't get rid of him in the Olympics. His team mates might drag him back on mind.

Well, with 55km of fairly flat road heading back to London, that might happen. Other than a crash out, it will depend on the size and composition of a break (I guess Cav might get dropped that badly on the circuit, but I doubt it).

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Agreed with everything but the bold part: Froome will have the Tour & the Olympics in his legs- Even Contador himself after that brutal Giro couldn't quite get in top form at the Tour-no matter how they "elevate the recovery program" the same will happen to Froome-but not doubting he'll be among the best....

Sky peaks last five months. Froome will be very competitive at Dauphine, Tour, Olympics, Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
the big ring said:
They intend on being at 90% all the time - so it's a perpetual "almost peak".

According to Sean Yates Wiggins still has not reached his best.

So to win a TdF clean and not be at your best, hmmm, maybe there is a santa claus after all and his sleigh is pulled by unicorns.

TRENDING THREADS