• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most memorable doped perfomances?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Andy there was a great thread on this topic about a year or so ago with videos of Lance storming Sestriere, Riis eyeing up the lead bunch on the Hautacam, Mapei, Gewiss, etc. I'd link it if I could find it. Good to see the topic raised again though, I always liked that thread and 2010 saw some new results worthy of inclusion.

Yup.

Hugh Januss said:

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
566804.jpg

iframe>

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
zlev11 said:
how about Santi Perez in the 2004 Vuelta?

wins a stage by attacking on a climb and holding a 50 second gap on a descent plus about 10 km of flat, then smashes everyone in the mountain time trial up Sierra Nevada by about 2 minutes, and then puts 30 seconds into Heras on La Covatilla

and i haven't even watched the 3rd DVD yet...

Where did you get the DVD? ;)

2004 Vuelta was hilariously awesome.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
short memories, how about the '69 TdF. Merckx won it by almost 18 minutes, he had the yellow jersey, green jersey, mountain jersey, most combative. never been done by anybody else.

eddy_merckx_tdf1972.jpg

poulssen_tour1969.JPG

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I don´t know Merckx. They had different drugs back then. So he might have been that good. OTOH, i don´t know if blood transfusions were practised back then.
BTW, there was a good thread about it, something like "When did blood transfusions come to the peloton". I´d like to read there again.
May Dr. Maserati can help out here...

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I started racing in '82 and blood doping (transfusions) were pretty prevalent then, it wasn't illegal though. USA won a gold and silver in 84 with blood doping. don't think Merckx did though, he was just on str8 up speed, which is pretty amazing in itself that his heart didn't explode on one of those climbs like Simpson's did.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
I started racing in '82 and blood doping (transfusions) were pretty prevalent then, it wasn't illegal though. USA won a gold and silver in 84 with blood doping. don't think Merckx did though, he was just on str8 up speed, which is pretty amazing in itself that his heart didn't explode on one of those climbs like Simpson's did.

Simpson I thought died of dehydration.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Zweistein said:
Simpson I thought died of dehydration.

dying from dehydration is a much slower process, he was full of amphetamines, pushing past his anaerobic threshold on a climb and just passed out, maybe is was dehydration that officially killed him, but speed is what took him off the bike

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
For me, this;

Botero, always known as a very well prepared guy, looks as if he's having a constant cardio-vascular problem. Look if you will, but please, don't complain to me because this will make you feel nauseous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhonImky0k

And the gears he's ascending with. It just hurts my eyes. So much that I really think I might have to buy new glasses now.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
He hasn't tested positive so I am not sure it does count.

Have a look at the rest of the thread: unfortunately, it counts.

Another vote for Santi Perez.
Most ridiculous final week-ever.
Lost the GC by leaving each of his Heras smackdowns until the final km.
Averaged a 30 second gain, each time, over that final 1000 metres.
Not to mention those ITTs.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
LutherB said:
I'm not sure if this counts - but how about Thor Hushvold's break in the mountains to take the green jersey from Cavendish, TdF stage 15 in 2009? Was an amazing ride when I watched it. I see he also repeated the feat in stage 13 of 2011 TdF - both summarised here:

http://trainright.com/tdf-stage-13-a-sprinter-wins-in-the-mountains-the-curious-logic-of-stage-13/

To be fair, yes, he attacked in the mountains in 2009, but it was while descending, and the heads of state let him go. 2011 I am not going to try to explain.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
neineinei said:
To be fair, yes, he attacked in the mountains in 2009, but it was while descending, and the heads of state let him go. 2011 I am not going to try to explain.

How can you be all doped up when you can not even keep up with Jeremy Roy? he descended very well that stage, and with the help of Moncoutie who he caught in the descent he caught a tired Roy. Actually his other stage win was much more suspicious, since he could keep up with EBH(who's a much better climber) and didn't even lose that much time on the final climb to Hesjdal who would become winner of the Giro in less a year.

TRENDING THREADS