• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most memorable doped perfomances?

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has Cavendish been mentioned yet?

I came here to post something like this.

I'm now certain we're in an arms race leading us straight to a repeat of history. There's no way the rest of the sprint teams are going to sit by whilst they're humiliated by an old guy, so they'll come back stronger themselves & we know what that entails.

I also absolutely reject the idea this Tour has a weak sprint field, i.e. as if the mere absence of Caleb Ewan, Ackermann & Sam Bennett means Cav is de-facto the best sprinter. It's *** & DQS have crossed a line.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
Just recently discovered this youtube channel. Some amusing videos.

View: https://youtu.be/BhnqgALw-dA
2004 and 2006 Phonak were both hillarious.
2004 they had Hamilton and Santi freaking Perez going full Icarus before getting busted. Oscar Sevilla was also flying at the Dauphine before Lance cried wolf because of Mayo and Tyler.

2006 Phonak had Landis and Bufalo Gutierrez, not to mention Botero, who had been great in 2005 and early 2006, before getting caught by the Operacion Puerto investigation.

Yet Andy his was able to come back with his BMC team 3 years later without any problems. In that sense the guy was as problematic as Vino and Bjarne (when it comes to them running a team).

2004 they had Hamilton and Santi freaking Perez going full Icarus before getting busted. Oscar Sevilla was also flying at the Dauphine before Lance cried wolf because of Mayo and Tyler.

2006 Phonak had Landis and Bufalo Gutierrez, not to mention Botero, who had been great in 2005 and early 2006, before getting caught by the Operacion Puerto investigation.

Yet Andy his was able to come back with his BMC team 3 years later without any problems. In that sense the guy was as problematic as Vino and Bjarne (when it comes to them running a team).

Yeah, they had good juice. To me most memorable was Santi Perez - the guy (who didn't have any significant success in his career) was flying in the second part of Vuelta'04 producing climbing performances among the best ever! He absolutely crushed the competition on Sierra Nevada ITT (it was 1 day after his superb solo effort on Monachil - another stage victory) and was beating Heras easily in decisive mountain stages. On the second part of Navarcerrada (over 16 minutes long, 8.6 average gradient) he produced a VAM of... 2067 m/h! This is absolutely ridiculous if you consider the climb was not very steep (and relatively short duration don't change that, Pogacar's VAM on similar climb (PDBF) was almost 10% lower!). Likely 7.2 - 7.3 w/kg. Maybe the best ever climbing performance in 15-20 minute range. Heras was going well (on Santi's wheel) but he was destroyed on last couple of kms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarponi
Yeah, they had good juice. To me most memorable was Santi Perez - the guy (who didn't have any significant success in his career) was flying in the second part of Vuelta'04 producing climbing performances among the best ever! He absolutely crushed the competition on Sierra Nevada ITT (it was 1 day after his superb solo effort on Monachil - another stage victory) and was beating Heras easily in decisive mountain stages. On the second part of Navarcerrada (over 16 minutes long, 8.6 average gradient) he produced a VAM of... 2067 m/h! This is absolutely ridiculous if you consider the climb was not very steep (and relatively short duration don't change that, Pogacar's VAM on similar climb (PDBF) was almost 10% lower!). Likely 7.2 - 7.3 w/kg. Maybe the best ever climbing performance in 15-20 minute range. Heras was going well (on Santi's wheel) but he was destroyed on last couple of kms.
That attack by Santi on Navarcerrada makes Ricco on the Aspin look like a diesel climber, totally out of this world!

Reactions: Monte Serra
To me most memorable was Santi Perez - the guy (who didn't have any significant success in his career) was flying in the second part of Vuelta'04 producing climbing performances among the best ever!

While I agree with your post and the ridiculousness of Pérez' performance in the Vuelta, I wouldn't say that he never showed anything before that. He had clearly shown a lot of climbing talent early in his career (but not on the Vuelta level, of course). In his first professional year with Barbot he won the Torre MTF in the Volta a Portugal (which speaks for itself, I guess). In his second professional year with Kelme he finished 4th in the Tour of Romandie and then went to the Giro as a protected rider together with Aitor Gonzalez (who finished 6th and won two stages). Pérez was 2nd in the first MTF in Limone Piemonte, but then crashed very hard and had to abandon the race. After that, he never showed the same level again and his first two Phonak years leading up to the Vuelta were very unimpressive.

But yeah, in that Vuelta, it was absolutely outrageous how he crushed the competition after being already 4:30 minutes down after half of the race, making riders like Heras look like complete fools.

While I agree with your post and the ridiculousness of Pérez' performance in the Vuelta, I wouldn't say that he never showed anything before that. He had clearly shown a lot of climbing talent early in his career (but not on the Vuelta level, of course). In his first professional year with Barbot he won the Torre MTF in the Volta a Portugal (which speaks for itself, I guess). In his second professional year with Kelme he finished 4th in the Tour of Romandie and then went to the Giro as a protected rider together with Aitor Gonzalez (who finished 6th and won two stages). Pérez was 2nd in the first MTF in Limone Piemonte, but then crashed very hard and had to abandon the race. After that, he never showed the same level again and his first two Phonak years leading up to the Vuelta were very unimpressive.

But yeah, in that Vuelta, it was absolutely outrageous how he crushed the competition after being already 4:30 minutes down after half of the race, making riders like Heras look like complete fools.

Not saying he wasn't a good climber but the disproportion between those performances and the rest of his results is something I've never seen before. Obviously we've seen mutant performances in the past but usually from guys who had way bigger achievements overall.

Reactions: Fantastico
Thanks for this post, had never seen it before just watched! On a side note cant believe how many motos and cars were within a few metres of the winner...

Buffalo's performance in Mortirolo is something of legends!
I'd put that with a Riis level in Hautacam!!!

With performances like that you don't need a positive test!! LOL.

Buffalo's performance in Mortirolo is something of legends!
I'd put that with a Riis level in Hautacam!!!

With performances like that you don't need a positive test!! LOL.
And 80kg guy being the 3rd best climber in the whole race, even on really steep ones like San Carlo, Mortirolo or Furcia (from that side), while being more consistent that Gibo. Yeah, no comment needed.

Reactions: Ripper

TRENDING THREADS