• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most memorable doped performance? 2010-2020

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There's very little to suggest Contador didn't go all out in that Giro.

He tried to win Madonna di Campiglio, then got dropped by Landa. He tried following Landa on Aprica, and got dropped again. He attacked Monte Ologno for no real reason other than a FU to Astana.

Being behind before the Mortirolo with whatever unfavorable group compositions possible on the run to Aprica is a much bigger reason to go full gas.

And good example of kicking Aru again just because he could on the Monte Ologno.

...unfortunately, nothing like enough video exists of the most hilarious Tabriz Petrochemical Team exploits, Peter Pouly or of the Rojas brothers in Costa Rica. There were some doozies. The 2015 Asia Tour was particularly comical, as Pishgaman Yazd rocked up giving us not one but two thermonuclear Iranian teams.

Sayar and Victor de la Parte's ride on the last stage of the 2013 Tour d'Algérie was also pretty ridiculous. They did the same in the following Tour de Blida, where Hichem Chaabane joined in on the fun, before Sayar went mental in Turkey.

Something about going solo at the potentially boring run in of E3 always make things look filthy, and Tankink made it worse with his cramp or whatever it was when following
That E3 ride by Cancellara is one of my all-time favs, doped or not. I don’t understand Dutch but it was still so dramatic listening to the announcers call the race, like they were describing this thunderstorm on the Horizon, first rumbling in the distance, then getting closer and growing in power and finally blowing through like a hurricane. Though you could also hear the incredulity in their voices after he swept passed the leaders and pulling away so quickly. :)

Something about going solo at the potentially boring run in of E3 always make things look filthy, and Tankink made it worse with his cramp or whatever it was when following

Forget his mugging of that sub-toppers group in the final, that's neither here nor there (I agree with your take on the Tankink thing). The 50km leading up to that point was ridiculous with punctures, shifting issues, always coming back on his own, he was out of the race a couple of times. Then a bike-change at the bottom of the Taaienberg of all places which would normally be the end of anyone's race. Then either solo-ing between groups or ripping a group to pieces from the front on his own without looking for a turn of anyone. Actually winning the race when he finally made it back to the front was just icing.

Forget his mugging of that sub-toppers group in the final, that's neither here nor there (I agree with your take on the Tankink thing). The 50km leading up to that point was ridiculous with punctures, shifting issues, always coming back on his own, he was out of the race a couple of times. Then a bike-change at the bottom of the Taaienberg of all places which would normally be the end of anyone's race. Then either solo-ing between groups or ripping a group to pieces from the front on his own without looking for a turn of anyone. Actually winning the race when he finally made it back to the front was just icing.
It was awesome!!

Reactions: will-10
Zakarin suddenly mugging everyone at the 2015 Romandie and came close to beating Tony Martin in the TT despite a bike chage. Had already served a doping ban and rode for a notoriously un-clean team.

Gilbert returning to Quickstep after some mediocre seasons at BMC. Insane solo RVV attack then wins Amstel despite having a kidney injury. Now riding like cr*p at Lotto.

Cavendish taking four wins after barely contesting a sprint since early 2018.

The whole nuclear 2020 season.

The fact that nearly every rider leaving Quickstep turns into a shadow of their former selves.

Honorable mention to Tommy D at the 2015 Vuelta. Time triallist suddenly beats Rodriguez and a doped alien (Froome) up a wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
Zakarin suddenly mugging everyone at the 2015 Romandie and came close to beating Tony Martin in the TT despite a bike chage. Had already served a doping ban and rode for a notoriously un-clean team.

Gilbert returning to Quickstep after some mediocre seasons at BMC. Insane solo RVV attack then wins Amstel despite having a kidney injury. Now riding like cr*p at Lotto.

Cavendish taking four wins after barely contesting a sprint since early 2018.

The whole nuclear 2020 season.

The fact that nearly every rider leaving Quickstep turns into a shadow of their former selves.

Honorable mention to Tommy D at the 2015 Vuelta. Time triallist suddenly beats Rodriguez and a doped alien (Froome) up a wall.
Tommy D in 2018 was also good fun.

Gilbert looks like crap on the bike now at Lotto and a bit overweight. Maybe he doesn't have access to the cortisones he was using in 2009-11. Certainly the difference since leaving quickstep is notable.

We could also talk about:
-tony martin
-marcel kittel
-fernando gaviria
-niki terpstra
-rigo uran
-gianluca brambilla
-max richeze
-julien vermote
-stijn vandenbergh
-elia viviani

surely jungels is going the same way

Reactions: therealthing
For me this will always be the most laughable moment of the era (28:15):

Rodrigo Beenkens on Belgian TV had some pretty epic & hilarious commentary on this stage:

"let the Watts out!"

"Lance, get out of this body!"

And Froome fans act surprised when people don't like this guy, i.e. the same guy who all those years ago cheated on the Mortirolo climb & was kicked out of the Giro (held onto a police motorbike in the 2010 Giro & unfortunately for him, one of the commissaires spotted him) & since then had a litany of highly dubious B.S. with unnatural moments on a bike (i.e. he also looked like he couldn't even ride a bike properly).

Even his 2019 crash is so weird (official version is he was blown off his bike by a gust of wind on a descent when he was blowing his nose).

Team Sky 2012 Tour de France on the Croix de Fer

Froome and Porte on Ax3-Domaines in 2013
Generally Sky in 2012 is my most memorable moment of the decade. US Postal flashbacks but even stronger and with more burte force. Wiggins won every race he entered, Rogers and Porte had probably their strongest domestique years, Froome showed in the TdF that he is the man to beat from now on.

Also, their whole style and their dominance changed racing as we knew it.

Just curious, why would that not be true? Or in other words - why should they lie about the crash?

I have no idea whether they lied or not, but the official version just reinforces the somewhat farcical nature of the rider himself. I mean just how stupid can a crash get? Blowing his nose & a sudden gust of wind sending him into a wall has to be right up there with the strangest for sure.

And the part about the Mortirolo cheating isn't evidence about other wrongdoing later in his career, but it does help create a character profile of a man without particular morals.

Stephen Cummings deserve to be mentioned. That stage in the TDF gliding up steep mountains away from Vincenzo Nibali and other top riders as if it was track cycling. The stage in Dauphine Libere where he had four minutes with 50 km to go and it was a super tough stage but he had the same advantage at the finish. His first big win in the TDF easily beating the best french riders on the stage to Mende. It was a super crazy performance every time he won something.

Reactions: Scarponi
Tommy D in 2018 was also good fun.

Gilbert looks like crap on the bike now at Lotto and a bit overweight. Maybe he doesn't have access to the cortisones he was using in 2009-11. Certainly the difference since leaving quickstep is notable.

We could also talk about:
-tony martin
-marcel kittel
-fernando gaviria
-niki terpstra
-rigo uran
-gianluca brambilla
-max richeze
-julien vermote
-stijn vandenbergh
-elia viviani

surely jungels is going the same way

If QS riders know this, why do they leave knowing that they will do worse? If other teams know this, why do they sign riders knowing that they will do worse?

Most of them have already been mentioned:

- Raul Alarcón for a couple of years in Portugal & Spain (including beating Nairo Quintana in his prime in Vuelta a Asturias)

- Gonzalo Najar on that infamous Colorado climb. I recall some BS explaination from his director saying the particular meteo in that climb made that once you attacked it was impossible someone caught you. You can work the translation with Google Translate, it's pure gold: https://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2018/01/28/5a6d1338e5fdeaa74b8b462c.html

- Mauro Santambrogio, transitioning for a mid-tier passista veloce into the most fearful opponent of Vincenzo Nibali in the first half of 2013 (until third week of the Giro when he collapsed)

Rodrigo Beenkens on Belgian TV had some pretty epic & hilarious commentary on this stage:

"let the Watts out!"

"Lance, get out of this body!"

And Froome fans act surprised when people don't like this guy, i.e. the same guy who all those years ago cheated on the Mortirolo climb & was kicked out of the Giro (held onto a police motorbike in the 2010 Giro & unfortunately for him, one of the commissaires spotted him) & since then had a litany of highly dubious B.S. with unnatural moments on a bike (i.e. he also looked like he couldn't even ride a bike properly).

Even his 2019 crash is so weird (official version is he was blown off his bike by a gust of wind on a descent when he was blowing his nose).
Priceless!!

Reactions: the delgados
Well yes, Carlton, the spectators who have been waiting a long time for the race to pass do not realize the riders are are approaching in the big ring. They have very little time to avoid obstructing the race route.
It is truly astonishing, isn't it, Sean?
Well yes, it is.

Although I teach some creative writing I often don't get your posts. Well, I'll just blame that on the language barrier.

TRENDING THREADS