• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated (good) rider in the peloton?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is currently the most overrated rider among the stars of the peloton?

• Total voters
I know of someone, let's call this person Dominica Vacanze, who would like to nominate an American, two or three Brits, a Slovak, a Belgian, and, if she ever were to exchange her skis for a bike, another American :p
Most of those I don't think are necessarily overrated (except by Patrick Winterton), but there's a couple in there whose palmarès (or at least parts of it) I don't have any respect for.

Pidcock won XCO Olympics because he is the best rider on the MTB, don’t get it twisted.
Also it's mtb – not crashing is an essential part of the sport. It's not road racing where crashing takes away from the action and can create a bit of an asterisk, there are features put into the course to test riders and see if they're able not to crash.

It's a different race and I think a lot of people here don't accept this or recognise it, and view it through the same lens as road racing. But really, though Van der Poel is clearly a better athlete than Pidcock, not much evidence that he's a better mountain bike rider – the opposite, in fact.

Reactions: jmdirt
I first voted WVA but saw Netserk saying it’s how they’re currently rated and changed to Pidcock. I think it’d be good to come back to this thread after the season is over.

Pedersen: I feel like now everyone knows his role in being dangerous in the classics and a sprint but he gets tired with the intensity of the race and his sprint is lacking in the bunch.
Roglic and Evenepoel: both disappointed at Paris-Nice though are all geared towards the Tour, so I think it’s better to reconvene after the race.
WVA: was initially overrated but I feel like he’s come back down to Earth in most posters minds of being the weakest of the 6 yet still dangerous and his work as a domestique is extraordinary.
Adam: for most of his career was over showed by Simon and now I think it’s leveling out, especially after the Tour last year.
Ayuso, Skjelmose, and De Lie: are still young and have time to see if the junior/early stages hype was warranted. For Ayuso that time is coming closer than the other two and like was previously said I don’t think many picked Skjelmose to be a GT contender, just the week races.
Pidcock: at least to me seems the favorite behind any of the Big 6 in a race yet rarely delivers to that. In a way it isn’t fair since he is multidiscipline but this is the road thread with cross and MTB meaning nothing to me and others that don’t follow those respective sports.

Seems a good time to remind everyone there is a thread in this forum called "Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx." If that doesn't make you vote Remco then I don't know what will
Evenepoel isn’t the only rider to be compared or labeled as the next Eddy Merckx though at the beginning of their career; EBH, Sagan, and Keldermerckx among others.

The fact that forumers like Berniece have him as a likely 2024 TdF podium finisher would be a start.

To me it's obvious - based on his weaknesses as a rider - that he won't even finish in the top 10.
You haven't understand the question at all. It's not about the most overrated GT-rider. But about the most overrated rider in general. Then Evenepoel can never be in first place. With wins in the road worlds, the TT-worlds (and second and third), wins in two monuments, different wins in (semi)classics (already San Sebastian at 19), several wins in smaller stage races, wins in a lot of stages, win in a GT..... Then there are many other candidates who have not (yet) delivered what could be expected.
Evenepoel has only fallen slightly below expectations as a GT rider. But not as an all-rounder. Evenepoel will probably never be or become absolutely top in GT. Although he has already won a GT. For some, the negative rating for the GT work is mainly based on that one bad one day in the Vuelta 23. But what can be said of Roglic, who has also fallen through the ice a few times in GTs. Or Pogacar who had a serious breakdown in two GT's (Tour 22 and 23). I am convinced that Evenepoel will certainly win another GT. Maybe the Tour one day. But not dominant as Pogacar and Vingegaard have already done.

Even this year a top 5 place is possible, certainly a top 10.

So, you'll have to come with other arguments. And compare those arguments with other "overrated" riders.

You haven't understand the question at all. It's not about the most overrated GT-rider. But about the most overrated rider in general. Then Evenepoel can never be in first place. With wins in the road worlds, the TT-worlds (and second and third), wins in two monuments, different wins in (semi)classics (already San Sebastian at 19), several wins in smaller stage races, wins in a lot of stages, win in a GT..... Then there are many other candidates who have not (yet) delivered what could be expected.
Evenepoel has only fallen slightly below expectations as a GT rider. But not as an all-rounder. Evenepoel will probably never be or become absolutely top in GT. Although he has already won a GT. For some, the negative rating for the GT work is mainly based on that one bad one day in the Vuelta 23. But what can be said of Roglic, who has also fallen through the ice a few times in GTs. Or Pogacar who had a serious breakdown in two GT's (Tour 22 and 23). I am convinced that Evenepoel will certainly win another GT. Maybe the Tour one day. But not dominant as Pogacar and Vingegaard have already done.

So, you'll have to come with other arguments. And compare those arguments with other "overrated" riders.
It's a pity Almeida isn't on the list. We had a clear winner then.

I think you'll find you're the one who doesn't understand the question, because having a better palmares than other riders doesn't mean you can't be more overrated than said riders. If Evenepoel is rated three times as highly as rider X, but his palmares is only twice as good, then by definition Evenepoel is more overrated than rider X. You also appear to be confusing the extent to which a rider is rated with the extent to which a rider has gotten the most out of his career - by your reasoning, Betancur would have been one of the most overrated riders even towards the end of his career when nobody actually still believed in him much (if at all) by that point.