• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated (good) rider in the peloton?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is currently the most overrated rider among the stars of the peloton?

• Total voters
Let's put things in perspective:
  • Mads Pedersen: 1x 2000+ year on PCS (barely: 2009 points)
  • Adam Yates: 2x 1500+ years on PCS
  • Juan Ayuso: 2x 750+ years on PCS
  • Mattias Skjelmose: 1x 1500+ year on PCS
  • Arnaud De Lie: 1x 1500+ year on PCS
  • Thomas Pidcock: 1x 1000+ year on PCS
2500+ on PCS is top-3 in the world.
  • Primoz Roglič: 2x 2500+ years on PCS, 1 2750+ year on PCS
  • Remco Evenepoel: 2x 2750+ years on PCS
  • Wout van Aert: 1x 2000+ year on PCS, 2 2750+ years on PCS
those guys are already in the all-time top 100. It's hard to realistically overrate riders that end up 1st (Roglic), 2nd or 3rd (WvA, Evenepoel) on the yearly PCS ranking, considering we have Pogacar leading that ranking for 140+ weeks (the longest period ever in the World tour era, and counting).

I think there are a lot of caveats to this perspective. Using PCS points as the basis of over- or underrating riders has some serious flaws. As someone pointed out on the forum, Marc Hirschi gained more points by riding second tier races than Mathieu van der Poel last year. No one would rate Hirschi higher than VDP. Also, riders like MvdP and Ganna dedicate part of their season on different disciplines which don't make them less impressive cyclists.

I was going to vote Pidcock but then I noticed that I have not see De Lie racing once other than highlights. I don't even know how he made it to this list.
I think it was based on tremendous if not a bit unreasonable expectations, and the fact that his whole staff was predicting great things this year. I think De Lie has to wake up as soon as possible, shake the cobwebs of doubt away, and get back to himself as he was.

Reactions: Escarabajo
I think there are a lot of caveats to this perspective. Using PCS points as the basis of over- or underrating riders has some serious flaws. As someone pointed out on the forum, Marc Hirschi gained more points by riding second tier races than Mathieu van der Poel last year. No one would rate Hirschi higher than VDP. Also, riders like MvdP and Ganna dedicate part of their season on different disciplines which don't make them less impressive cyclists.
there are not a lot of caveats: 2750+ is world class and simply can't be overrated. You can't get there by only riding / winning second tier races.

That doesn't exclude the fact that riders like MvdP who don't have 2750+ seasons are still world class.