• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mountain bike tire recommendations

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Did some searching here, and haven't found any threads that covered this. I even searched 'tyres'.

Basically I am looking to upgrade my mtn bike tires. I am x-country rider, who likes to bomb downhills with some small jumps thrown here and there. Most of the riding I do is on packed dirt with lots of rocks (small boulder's really) and tree roots sticking out. Currently I am riding panaracer fire xc pro's. They have done me well, however I have always had a little bit of a problem with the rear sliding out on me (sitting and standing).
My price range is fairly broad so I would just like to hear what some of you have ridden and liked in the past.

amp300 said:
Did some searching here, and haven't found any threads that covered this. I even searched 'tyres'.

Basically I am looking to upgrade my mtn bike tires. I am x-country rider, who likes to bomb downhills with some small jumps thrown here and there. Most of the riding I do is on packed dirt with lots of rocks (small boulder's really) and tree roots sticking out. Currently I am riding panaracer fire xc pro's. They have done me well, however I have always had a little bit of a problem with the rear sliding out on me (sitting and standing).
My price range is fairly broad so I would just like to hear what some of you have ridden and liked in the past.

I'm going to assume you are talking 26" tires. I have tried many tires and have run Panaracers in the past, I recall them being very heavy but bullet proof. About 8 years ago I started riding IRC Serac XC tires. I run them tubeless on a pair of Roval's with a Stans kit. We have a lot of the same terrain here in New England that you describe and they are the best. Fast and light and I have never cut a sidewall. They are pretty amazing

If you are running 29" tires unfortunately IRC does not make the Serac XC in 29, the day they do I will switch. I run the Specialized Fast Trak Grid 29, I like them and they are reliable on my wheels. I was having tons of problems with tires rolling off the rim at low pressure and crashing. The Mavic 29 rims were the problem and when I went to a UST it was fine. The Tubeless Ready tires just didn't stay put on the Mavic rims. I have the scars to prove it!

Thanks.

OK - Thanks for the reply.

I'm a roadie who has recently converted to some MTB riding (and loving it!)

I run a set of training tires (Conti Gator Skins) on my road rig and swap them out when I race or enter events for Michelin Pro Race 3's......do most of you MTB riders / racers have a set of training tires and a set of racing as well?

Or do you pick a tire depending on the terrain you ride most.

I'm looking to invest in a similar set up of training, durable, puncture free (yeah right) tires and a set for the XC races I will be doing....can anyone recommend a good set up?

I'm in NZ, most of the terrain of late (winter) is wet and muddy, rocks, roots etc - but will dry out come the summer months.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions offered.
Oh yeah, 26 Inch and tubes in.:D

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I run pro race 3 on my road bikes. Spi Roubaix and Time VXS.
And I run a Larssen TT back and Nobby Nic front on my mountain bike.
You can take out a Pro Race with a side wall cut.
Always have a small section of tyre in your repair kit.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
amp300 said:

based on the little info here I would suggest Maxxiss Aspen front and rear. Fast rolling and good grip and cornering. good weight

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I am also in New England and have similar conditions to you. I am running A Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear, Nobby Nic front with snakeskin casings, tubeless with stans.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Maxxis high roller 2.35 non ust set up tubeless. Love the massive cornering knobs when you lean and they are super durable if you don't get the soft compound versions. Ride all kinds of rocky mtn terrain on them, never tested in deep mud though.

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
You could do what I did.

I went from my Panaracer Fire XC Pros to try every Maxxis and most Bontrager tyres on the market (tubed and UST with Stans)

I am now back on the tubed Fires for my biggest event of the season (Maxx Exposure enduro next week)

You don't realise how good they are until you try everything else.

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Anything by Schwalbe. I also liked my Tiogas trail tyres for mud but they don't make them anymore. They were also kind of heavy. I guess the new ones will also be good.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
] is an American company that pioneered UST rims and tires and conversions for non-tubeless rims/tires.

OK - Thanks for the reply.

I'm a roadie who has recently converted to some MTB riding (and loving it!)

I run a set of training tires (Conti Gator Skins) on my road rig and swap them out when I race or enter events for Michelin Pro Race 3's......do most of you MTB riders / racers have a set of training tires and a set of racing as well?

Or do you pick a tire depending on the terrain you ride most.

I'm looking to invest in a similar set up of training, durable, puncture free (yeah right) tires and a set for the XC races I will be doing....can anyone recommend a good set up?

I'm in NZ, most of the terrain of late (winter) is wet and muddy, rocks, roots etc - but will dry out come the summer months.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions offered.
Oh yeah, 26 Inch and tubes in.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Schwalbe Smart Sam is cheap, has nice grip, is fast rolling and slim for its nominal width = OK in deep mud. It seems to wear rather quickly.

This is my current favourite for our local rolling single track with lots of roots and mud.