Movie Thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've owned Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for a month and still haven't had time to watch so I'll keep everyone updated.
I need to put this on my viewing list, it looks like it might be entertaining. Speaking of Hollywood...

I watched The Way We Were (1973) for the first time yesterday - apparently it was one of the first mainstream movies to tackle the "Red Scare" that had affected the film industry during the McCarthy era, and maybe for this reason it merely tiptoed around the issue. The screenwriter, Arthur Laurents, was not at all happy with Sydney Pollack's direction - Pollack had cut out some of the meatier scenes that had actually dealt with the effects of the HUAC hearings more, and what was left over was this disjointed, vapid love story where I ended up wondering how Streisand and Redford were ever attracted to each other.

The wardrobe and styling departments didn't do a very good job either, the clothes and hairstyles didn't match the eras at all, which made things rather confusing. (For example, at one point Streisand was talking about using her war rations, but she was wearing clothes that would have been worn in the 60s. Wha?)

Wardrobe aside, this could have been such a stronger movie if it had stuck to the original script more, I can see why Laurents was not happy with the end product.

I need to put this on my viewing list, it looks like it might be entertaining. Speaking of Hollywood...

I watched The Way We Were (1973) for the first time yesterday - apparently it was one of the first mainstream movies to tackle the "Red Scare" that had affected the film industry during the McCarthy era, and maybe for this reason it merely tiptoed around the issue. The screenwriter, Arthur Laurents, was not at all happy with Sydney Pollack's direction - Pollack had cut out some of the meatier scenes that had actually dealt with the effects of the HUAC hearings more, and what was left over was this disjointed, vapid love story where I ended up wondering how Streisand and Redford were ever attracted to each other.

The wardrobe and styling departments didn't do a very good job either, the clothes and hairstyles didn't match the eras at all, which made things rather confusing. (For example, at one point Streisand was talking about using her war rations, but she was wearing clothes that would have been worn in the 60s. Wha?)

Wardrobe aside, this could have been such a stronger movie if it had stuck to the original script more, I can see why Laurents was not happy with the end product.
Vapid was the word. Redford fortunately made much better moves later. Light comedy was Streisand's forte but obviously she was better suited to musicals.

Vapid was the word. Redford fortunately made much better moves later. Light comedy was Streisand's forte but obviously she was better suited to musicals.
Yentl was a decent movie, and I had seen some others with Barbra Streisand a long time ago. She's competent as an actress, but obviously she'll always be known as an excellent singer first and foremost.

-----

I watched Death at a Funeral (2007) last night, the original Brit version, I thought the black humor was just a riot. I was laughing so hard when the son was trying to give a eulogy and sounds were coming out of the coffin...

I guess it should come as no surprise that there was an American remake a few years later, I won't even bother watching it. There's just no point in remaking what is already an excellent movie.

Yentl was a decent movie, and I had seen some others with Barbra Streisand a long time ago. She's competent as an actress, but obviously she'll always be known as an excellent singer first and foremost.

-----

I watched Death at a Funeral (2007) last night, the original Brit version, I thought the black humor was just a riot. I was laughing so hard when the son was trying to give a eulogy and sounds were coming out of the coffin...

I guess it should come as no surprise that there was an American remake a few years later, I won't even bother watching it. There's just no point in remaking what is already an excellent movie.
I missed that movie but friends told me it was very funny.

Yentl was okay. Funny Girl was better, For Pete's Sake was so so. I forgot that she was also in the Focker movies which I thought were pretty dull.

-----

Death at a Funeral was brilliantly funny.
Good move to avoid the remake - was nowhere near the original...

Can't comment much on Streisand as an actress, as I've not watched much of her.

Last movie I watched was Porco Rosso, now that Studio Ghibli is on netflix - not quite as I remembered it to be, but I was much younger when I last saw it...

For a complete change of pace I watched New Jack City (1991) again last night, I don't think it's the best gangbanger/crack epidemic movie, I like Colors (1988) and Boyz n the Hood (1991) more. But it does depict the era fairly well... I lived in Tacoma in the 80s, Hilltop where the Bloods and the Crips had made themselves at home was not a place you wanted to be once it got dark. You had the crackheads and the drive-bys ...

Some of the lines were pretty corny, but Wesley Snipes and Chris Rock gave the strongest performances. Ice-T, meh, even on Law and Order he was just kinda there, more so for his looks and his street cred, I think.

I liked the soundtrack and the clothes, but like I said, New Jack City is not the best urban crime drama out there. I'd like to see Juice with Tupac, but it's not available for free viewing right now, so that will have to wait.

For a complete change of pace I watched New Jack City (1991) again last night, I don't think it's the best gangbanger/crack epidemic movie, I like Colors (1988) and Boyz n the Hood (1991) more. But it does depict the era fairly well... I lived in Tacoma in the 80s, Hilltop where the Bloods and the Crips had made themselves at home was not a place you wanted to be once it got dark. You had the crackheads and the drive-bys ...

Some of the lines were pretty corny, but Wesley Snipes and Chris Rock gave the strongest performances. Ice-T, meh, even on Law and Order he was just kinda there, more so for his looks and his street cred, I think.

I liked the soundtrack and the clothes, but like I said, New Jack City is not the best urban crime drama out there. I'd like to see Juice with Tupac, but it's not available for free viewing right now, so that will have to wait.
I thought New Jack City was okay so was Colors. Don't remember seeing Boyz n The Hood. Wesley Snipes was pretty popular after the Blade movies. I liked the first two. Hard to believe he ended up in prison for tax fraud !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
red_flanders Non-Cycling Discussions 14