• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've owned Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for a month and still haven't had time to watch so I'll keep everyone updated.
I need to put this on my viewing list, it looks like it might be entertaining. Speaking of Hollywood...

I watched The Way We Were (1973) for the first time yesterday - apparently it was one of the first mainstream movies to tackle the "Red Scare" that had affected the film industry during the McCarthy era, and maybe for this reason it merely tiptoed around the issue. The screenwriter, Arthur Laurents, was not at all happy with Sydney Pollack's direction - Pollack had cut out some of the meatier scenes that had actually dealt with the effects of the HUAC hearings more, and what was left over was this disjointed, vapid love story where I ended up wondering how Streisand and Redford were ever attracted to each other.

The wardrobe and styling departments didn't do a very good job either, the clothes and hairstyles didn't match the eras at all, which made things rather confusing. (For example, at one point Streisand was talking about using her war rations, but she was wearing clothes that would have been worn in the 60s. Wha?)

Wardrobe aside, this could have been such a stronger movie if it had stuck to the original script more, I can see why Laurents was not happy with the end product.

I need to put this on my viewing list, it looks like it might be entertaining. Speaking of Hollywood...

I watched The Way We Were (1973) for the first time yesterday - apparently it was one of the first mainstream movies to tackle the "Red Scare" that had affected the film industry during the McCarthy era, and maybe for this reason it merely tiptoed around the issue. The screenwriter, Arthur Laurents, was not at all happy with Sydney Pollack's direction - Pollack had cut out some of the meatier scenes that had actually dealt with the effects of the HUAC hearings more, and what was left over was this disjointed, vapid love story where I ended up wondering how Streisand and Redford were ever attracted to each other.

The wardrobe and styling departments didn't do a very good job either, the clothes and hairstyles didn't match the eras at all, which made things rather confusing. (For example, at one point Streisand was talking about using her war rations, but she was wearing clothes that would have been worn in the 60s. Wha?)

Wardrobe aside, this could have been such a stronger movie if it had stuck to the original script more, I can see why Laurents was not happy with the end product.
Vapid was the word. Redford fortunately made much better moves later. Light comedy was Streisand's forte but obviously she was better suited to musicals.

Vapid was the word. Redford fortunately made much better moves later. Light comedy was Streisand's forte but obviously she was better suited to musicals.
Yentl was a decent movie, and I had seen some others with Barbra Streisand a long time ago. She's competent as an actress, but obviously she'll always be known as an excellent singer first and foremost.

-----

I watched Death at a Funeral (2007) last night, the original Brit version, I thought the black humor was just a riot. I was laughing so hard when the son was trying to give a eulogy and sounds were coming out of the coffin...

I guess it should come as no surprise that there was an American remake a few years later, I won't even bother watching it. There's just no point in remaking what is already an excellent movie.

Yentl was a decent movie, and I had seen some others with Barbra Streisand a long time ago. She's competent as an actress, but obviously she'll always be known as an excellent singer first and foremost.

-----

I watched Death at a Funeral (2007) last night, the original Brit version, I thought the black humor was just a riot. I was laughing so hard when the son was trying to give a eulogy and sounds were coming out of the coffin...

I guess it should come as no surprise that there was an American remake a few years later, I won't even bother watching it. There's just no point in remaking what is already an excellent movie.
I missed that movie but friends told me it was very funny.

Yentl was okay. Funny Girl was better, For Pete's Sake was so so. I forgot that she was also in the Focker movies which I thought were pretty dull.

-----

Death at a Funeral was brilliantly funny.
Good move to avoid the remake - was nowhere near the original...

Can't comment much on Streisand as an actress, as I've not watched much of her.

Last movie I watched was Porco Rosso, now that Studio Ghibli is on netflix - not quite as I remembered it to be, but I was much younger when I last saw it...

For a complete change of pace I watched New Jack City (1991) again last night, I don't think it's the best gangbanger/crack epidemic movie, I like Colors (1988) and Boyz n the Hood (1991) more. But it does depict the era fairly well... I lived in Tacoma in the 80s, Hilltop where the Bloods and the Crips had made themselves at home was not a place you wanted to be once it got dark. You had the crackheads and the drive-bys ...

Some of the lines were pretty corny, but Wesley Snipes and Chris Rock gave the strongest performances. Ice-T, meh, even on Law and Order he was just kinda there, more so for his looks and his street cred, I think.

I liked the soundtrack and the clothes, but like I said, New Jack City is not the best urban crime drama out there. I'd like to see Juice with Tupac, but it's not available for free viewing right now, so that will have to wait.

For a complete change of pace I watched New Jack City (1991) again last night, I don't think it's the best gangbanger/crack epidemic movie, I like Colors (1988) and Boyz n the Hood (1991) more. But it does depict the era fairly well... I lived in Tacoma in the 80s, Hilltop where the Bloods and the Crips had made themselves at home was not a place you wanted to be once it got dark. You had the crackheads and the drive-bys ...

Some of the lines were pretty corny, but Wesley Snipes and Chris Rock gave the strongest performances. Ice-T, meh, even on Law and Order he was just kinda there, more so for his looks and his street cred, I think.

I liked the soundtrack and the clothes, but like I said, New Jack City is not the best urban crime drama out there. I'd like to see Juice with Tupac, but it's not available for free viewing right now, so that will have to wait.
I thought New Jack City was okay so was Colors. Don't remember seeing Boyz n The Hood. Wesley Snipes was pretty popular after the Blade movies. I liked the first two. Hard to believe he ended up in prison for tax fraud !

I thought New Jack City was okay so was Colors. Don't remember seeing Boyz n The Hood. Wesley Snipes was pretty popular after the Blade movies. I liked the first two. Hard to believe he ended up in prison for tax fraud !
Snipes had a lucrative career there for a while, and then felt like he shouldn't have to pay taxes... you can be as badass as you want to be, but you never mess with the IRS!

I watched Funny Girl (1968) last night (had seen it back when I was just a kid), it's definitely not for people who don't like musicals. I was already familiar with some of the tunes, the other ones I could only listen to because Barbra sang them so well.

The ending felt a bit rushed... the musical is already well over two hours long, what would another half hour have hurt? And Barbra's character got to be annoying - I just don't like to be around people who have to crack a joke at every cost.

I thought the best parts were the costumes and the sets - they were just so extravagant and beautiful. You could tell a lot of the budget went into them. Otherwise, meh, it's okay as far as musicals go, my fave is South Pacific (with Mitzi Gaynor), though.

Reactions: movingtarget
Snipes had a lucrative career there for a while, and then felt like he shouldn't have to pay taxes... you can be as badass as you want to be, but you never mess with the IRS!

I watched Funny Girl (1968) last night (had seen it back when I was just a kid), it's definitely not for people who don't like musicals. I was already familiar with some of the tunes, the other ones I could only listen to because Barbra sang them so well.

The ending felt a bit rushed... the musical is already well over two hours long, what would another half hour have hurt? And Barbra's character got to be annoying - I just don't like to be around people who have to crack a joke at every cost.

I thought the best parts were the costumes and the sets - they were just so extravagant and beautiful. You could tell a lot of the budget went into them. Otherwise, meh, it's okay as far as musicals go, my fave is South Pacific (with Mitzi Gaynor), though.
As much as I love music I was never a fan of film musicals although there are a few I have meant to see like Chicago but never got around to it. Streisand obviously has a great voice like Celine Dion but I just never liked their music that much or in small portions. More about styles than anything else. She made some decent light comedies and a few good dramas as well. Not sure what my favourite musical is, I never gave it much thought. South Pacific and Singing In The Rain are probably two of the most popular musicals of all time. Also meant to see the latest version of A Star Is Born but haven't yet. The Judy Garland version was very good. Didn't see the Streisand version. Speaking of Garland I saw a doc o recently about her which was interesting but depressing. She had a pretty horrific time in Hollywood.

Watched There Will Be Blood. Good movie with some great visuals and a standout performance by Daniel Day Lewis, all about the early days of the oil industry. I haven't seen all of Anderson's movies but this is probably his best along with Magnolia which I liked also and maybe even more. Punch Drunk Love was a bit weird but quirky and well acted. I didn't like The Master as much but it was interesting up to a point and Phillip Seymour Hoffman was very good. Even though Anderson said the movie wasn't based on L. Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology, there were obvious references and similarities to him that didn't seem coincidental. Cult leader and all that...........

Watched There Will Be Blood. Good movie with some great visuals and a standout performance by Daniel Day Lewis, all about the early days of the oil industry. I haven't seen all of Anderson's movies but this is probably his best along with Magnolia which I liked also and maybe even more. Punch Drunk Love was a bit weird but quirky and well acted. I didn't like The Master as much but it was interesting up to a point and Phillip Seymour Hoffman was very good. Even though Anderson said the movie wasn't based on L. Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology, there were obvious references and similarities to him that didn't seem coincidental. Cult leader and all that...........
I can't say I'm familiar with P.T. Anderson's movies, and from the other Anderson (Wes) I've only seen The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), which was ok. Guess I need to get on top of things, I remember there was usually quite a bit of discussion on movie forums each time a P.T. Anderson movie was released.

In the meantime I watched Funny Lady (1975) last night, honestly, the only thing that got me through it was that I was working on a jigsaw puzzle from hell at the same time. The musical's plot was a mess, and even Barbra's singing couldn't save it because most of the generic tunes she was just robotically belting out, none of them were memorable. The sets and wardrobe were nice though, so there's that.

To cleanse my palette I watched A Star is Born (1937) afterward - I'm usually not into very old films because the acting is a little OTT and the quality of sound and picture aren't very good. But I was curious because I hadn't seen any other version of this movie, it turned out to be actually pretty okay.

I'm not sure which morality clauses the film industry was bound by back then, I thought the topics of casting couch and alcoholism could have been approached with more edge. But, it was what it was back then, I guess.

The sound and picture quality were surprisingly decent - I wasn't sure whether the film was originally b/w and had been digitally colorized, turns out it wasn't. So all in all I think the movie is worth checking out, if for no other reason than to see just how far movie-making has come.

I can't say I'm familiar with P.T. Anderson's movies, and from the other Anderson (Wes) I've only seen The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), which was ok. Guess I need to get on top of things, I remember there was usually quite a bit of discussion on movie forums each time a P.T. Anderson movie was released.

In the meantime I watched Funny Lady (1975) last night, honestly, the only thing that got me through it was that I was working on a jigsaw puzzle from hell at the same time. The musical's plot was a mess, and even Barbra's singing couldn't save it because most of the generic tunes she was just robotically belting out, none of them were memorable. The sets and wardrobe were nice though, so there's that.

To cleanse my palette I watched A Star is Born (1937) afterward - I'm usually not into very old films because the acting is a little OTT and the quality of sound and picture aren't very good. But I was curious because I hadn't seen any other version of this movie, it turned out to be actually pretty okay.

I'm not sure which morality clauses the film industry was bound by back then, I thought the topics of casting couch and alcoholism could have been approached with more edge. But, it was what it was back then, I guess.

The sound and picture quality were surprisingly decent - I wasn't sure whether the film was originally b/w and had been digitally colorized, turns out it wasn't. So all in all I think the movie is worth checking out, if for no other reason than to see just how far movie-making has come.
Imagine going into Hollywood as a teenager and a woman in those days ! Seems like her addictions were caused by her handlers, her relationship with Micky Rooney was a sham to keep the fans happy and the ratings up and she was also forced into have cosmetic surgeries among other things. That said I thought she was very good in A Star Was Born as was James Mason. Some of the clips of her I have seen just belting out songs in nightclubs and on TV shows showed how much talent she had and also what a great voice she possessed. Obviously Liza Minnelli inherited the right genes. She was great in Cabaret.

Wes Anderson movies are pretty eccentric but I saw mainly his earlier ones. Rushmore was fun. I liked The Grand Budapest Hotel but it wasn't something I would rewatch. Helps to have an offbeat sense of humor ! Whit Stillman also makes makes quirky movies but I haven't seen one of his for a long time. I prefer Stillman to Anderson I think. Gentler type of satire and probably wittier.

Funny Lady was so so like many of her movies but I preferred it to some of the others. Yentl was better but a totally different type of musical. Nuts was supposed to be okay but I don't remember seeing it all.

Imagine going into Hollywood as a teenager and a woman in those days ! Seems like her addictions were caused by her handlers, her relationship with Micky Rooney was a sham to keep the fans happy and the ratings up and she was also forced into have cosmetic surgeries among other things. That said I thought she was very good in A Star Was Born as was James Mason. Some of the clips of her I have seen just belting out songs in nightclubs and on TV shows showed how much talent she had and also what a great voice she possessed. Obviously Liza Minnelli inherited the right genes. She was great in Cabaret.

Wes Anderson movies are pretty eccentric but I saw mainly his earlier ones. Rushmore was fun. I liked The Grand Budapest Hotel but it wasn't something I would rewatch. Helps to have an offbeat sense of humor ! Whit Stillman also makes makes quirky movies but I haven't seen one of his for a long time. I prefer Stillman to Anderson I think. Gentler type of satire and probably wittier.

Funny Lady was so so like many of her movies but I preferred it to some of the others. Yentl was better but a totally different type of musical. Nuts was supposed to be okay but I don't remember seeing it all.
I was actually talking about the 1937 version of A Star Is Born, but the other three that have been made since I'd like to see as well for comparison's sake. Speaking of comparison...

I found this youtube vid where they compare all four versions, they also talk a bit about how Hollywood has been treating its starlets for the past 100 years. I think it's very interesting.

The vid is only 18 minutes long, give it a looky if you can. Or, if you like. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaPSGMi03k

I was actually talking about the 1937 version of A Star Is Born, but the other three that have been made since I'd like to see as well for comparison's sake. Speaking of comparison...

I found this youtube vid where they compare all four versions, they also talk a bit about how Hollywood has been treating its starlets for the past 100 years. I think it's very interesting.

The vid is only 18 minutes long, give it a looky if you can. Or, if you like. :)
Ah my mistake. I will check out the video.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Ah my mistake. I will check out the video.
The vid brings up what you did about Hollywood entirely manufacturing the image of its stars way back when, men were not immune. I mean, gay actors especially had to pretend to be straight in order to not lose out on popularity with the general public.

I think the Hays Code era was sort of interesting - it's funny to imagine Hollywood was a lot more liberal and less restricted in the 1920s than the 1930s and onward. It's also interesting how the studios got away with bypassing the morality codes, here's a very lengthy wiki entry about it if anyone is interested in reading up.

pre-Code Hollywood

The vid brings up what you did about Hollywood entirely manufacturing the image of its stars way back when, men were not immune. I mean, gay actors especially had to pretend to be straight in order to not lose out on popularity with the general public.

I think the Hays Code era was sort of interesting - it's funny to imagine Hollywood was a lot more liberal and less restricted in the 1920s than the 1930s and onward. It's also interesting how the studios got away with bypassing the morality codes, here's a very lengthy wiki entry about it if anyone is interested in reading up.

pre-Code Hollywood
Rock Hudson was forced to marry to stop the gossip when one one of the gossip columnists threatened to expose him. The studio did a deal with the columnist for money of course and Rock continued as was. The marriage lasted three years but it was only a paper marriage it seems. Some of the famous Hollywood directors were also Gay like George Cukor. Remember reading a funny anecdote about the making of the movie Giant where Elizabeth Taylor was furious that Rock Hudson wouldn't pay any attention to her because he only had eyes for James Dean ! Dean tragically died before the movie was released but Taylor became close friends with Hudson later and also with Montgomery Clift another famous Gay actor. She was one of the first Hollywood celebrities to take an active role as a spokesperson for AIDS and the Gay community which she continued for the rest of her life. She took a much higher profile in these matters after Hudson died of AIDS.

Not a bad documentary about the different version s of the story. Eventually I will get around to seeing them all. So far have only seen the Garland version which I liked.

Rock Hudson was forced to marry to stop the gossip when one one of the gossip columnists threatened to expose him. The studio did a deal with the columnist for money of course and Rock continued as was. The marriage lasted three years but it was only a paper marriage it seems. Some of the famous Hollywood directors were also Gay like George Cukor. Remember reading a funny anecdote about the making of the movie Giant where Elizabeth Taylor was furious that Rock Hudson wouldn't pay any attention to her because he only had eyes for James Dean ! Dean tragically died before the movie was released but Taylor became close friends with Hudson later and also with Montgomery Clift another famous Gay actor. She was one of the first Hollywood celebrities to take an active role as a spokesperson for AIDS and the Gay community which she continued for the rest of her life. She took a much higher profile in these matters after Hudson died of AIDS.
Whatever the motives thank goodness for high profile people like Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Diana, for the longest time the politicians sure as heck tried to ignore the AIDS epidemic for as long as possible being it was seen as a gay disease.

I'm trying to not break any GRAPES forum rules, but, for those interested in the AIDS epidemic era here are a couple of excellent documentaries.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAzU79PBVM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Were_Here_(film)

Cold Blood (2019) - From the three people who have actually seen this movie it's getting very poor reviews/ratings, I have to admit I was very confused as to the plot. But being I was working on a jigsaw puzzle at the same time I didn't really care, I liked the flick anyway. It was filmed in the Ukranian Carpathian mountains, the scenery was just gorgeous.

As an added bonus (or, if nothing else) one of the main characters is played by Jean Reno, guess I'll have rewatch Léon: The Professional (1994) now being I don't remember him being in it despite the fact he played one of the main characters. I do recall I didn't care for the movie too much as a whole though, I just don't like movies with annoying, precocious kid characters. (Except for maybe Taxi Driver, I didn't mind Jodie Foster too much being her lines didn't sound like they were written for an adult.)

Cold Blood (2019) - From the three people who have actually seen this movie it's getting very poor reviews/ratings, I have to admit I was very confused as to the plot. But being I was working on a jigsaw puzzle at the same time I didn't really care, I liked the flick anyway. It was filmed in the Ukranian Carpathian mountains, the scenery was just gorgeous.

As an added bonus (or, if nothing else) one of the main characters is played by Jean Reno, guess I'll have rewatch Léon: The Professional (1994) now being I don't remember him being in it despite the fact he played one of the main characters. I do recall I didn't care for the movie too much as a whole though, I just don't like movies with annoying, precocious kid characters. (Except for maybe Taxi Driver, I didn't mind Jodie Foster too much being her lines didn't sound like they were written for an adult.)
Leon wasn't bad. I tend to think it was a little overrated but Natalie Portman and Reno were good in it and Gary Oldman did his angry arm waving thing ! Luc Besson was one the hot young things of French movie making after that but his career never really hit the expected heights. He did a lot of work as a scriptwriter and producer but his directorial efforts were patchy. His version of Joan of Arc was horrible. Angel A was supposed to be pretty good but I never saw it same with Subway. Nikita was okay about a hitwoman which was later made into a series. The Big Blue was probably one of his best about divers trying to break records without scuba tanks. I liked the movies of one of his contemporaries better : Jean-Jacques Beineix who made Betty Blue and Diva. Both good cult films but as with Besson his later career wasn't as successful.

Surprised they don't make more movies in Ukraine, as you say some of the scenery is stunning. Romania and the Czech Republic have been used for American films for a long time now and obviously movies can be made cheaper there than in the USA and they can find the old exteriors they need. Ireland also seems to be used quite a lot also especially in TV series. With the falling Australian dollar it will also probably be used more as well but more for the blockbusters and special effects type movies as it has been in the past.

Last edited:
Watched a very good documentary called Memory : The Origins of Alien about the making of Alien and how it was brought to the screen. Worth seeing if you enjoy sci fi/horror movies.
I'll have to put that on my lengthy viewing list, hopefully some day it'll stream for free.

In the meantime I watched Flatliners (1990) - ugh, this movie was just beyond dumb. Usually I don't mind wasting 90 minutes on a dumb movie and then looking up some info on how/where it had been filmed, but Flatliners wasn't even worth that much. All it was was just some eye candy with the hottest young Hollywood actors of that era, and the plot was just some cliche crap about atonement and the possibility of life after death. Now, these topics could make for interesting debates, but this movie just wasn't the one to start them. (Or maybe I'm just getting old and these topics bore me nowadays.)

I also watched The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) last night - this is one version I hadn't seen before, but I liked it because the very old B/W murder mysteries have a very different feel to them from the more modern ones. It's like you're in a totally different world, it's hard to explain.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce's Watson - Rathbone's Holmes was merely mirthfully poking fun at Watson when Watson wasn't quite quick enough to keep up with him. He wasn't being a condescending *** like Christopher Lee's Holmes was to Patrick Macnees' Watson, for example, their chemistry I didn't care for at all.

So yeah, while old I think the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes mysteries are still very worth watching.

Last edited:
I'll have to put that on my lengthy viewing list, hopefully some day it'll stream for free.

In the meantime I watched Flatliners (1990) - ugh, this movie was just beyond dumb. Usually I don't mind wasting 90 minutes on a dumb movie and then looking up some info on how/where it had been filmed, but Flatliners wasn't even worth that much. All it was was just some eye candy with the hottest young Hollywood actors of that era, and the plot was just some cliche crap about atonement and the possibility of life after death. Now, these topics could make for interesting debates, but this movie just wasn't the one to start them. (Or maybe I'm just getting old and these topics bore me nowadays.)

I also watched The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) last night - this is one version I hadn't seen before, but I liked it because the very old B/W murder mysteries have a very different feel to them from the more modern ones. It's like you're in a totally different world, it's hard to explain.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce's Watson - Rathbone's Holmes was merely mirthfully poking fun at Watson when Watson wasn't quite quick enough to keep up with him. He wasn't being a condescending *** like Christopher Lee's Holmes was to Patrick Macnees' Watson, for example, their chemistry I didn't care for at all.

So yeah, while old I think the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes mysteries are still very worth watching.
Yes the Rathbone versions were good probably the best. I did like the Peter Cushing Hound of The Baskerviles with Christopher Lee playing Lord Baskerville from about 1959 I think. Flatliners was so bad that I didn't bother with the recent remake !

Watched an odd Euro movie from 1999 called Humanite directed by Bruno Dumont, arthouse stuff, very long but watchable about a provincial policeman trying to solve a crime, lots of staring into space and long pauses etc..........had to hit the fast forward a few times but it was interesting enough to encourage me to check out some of his other movies in the future but definitely not one for mainstream tastes.

Yes the Rathbone versions were good probably the best. I did like the Peter Cushing Hound of The Baskerviles with Christopher Lee playing Lord Baskerville from about 1959 I think. Flatliners was so bad that I didn't bother with the recent remake !

Watched an odd Euro movie from 1999 called Humanite directed by Bruno Dumont, arthouse stuff, very long but watchable about a provincial policeman trying to solve a crime, lots of staring into space and long pauses etc..........had to hit the fast forward a few times but it was interesting enough to encourage me to check out some of his other movies in the future but definitely not one for mainstream tastes.
Sacré bleu, I simply must see this movie now! (Especially the parts where you had said there was a lot of staring into space going on, sounds like my kind of movie.)

If I can find a way to stream it for free I promise I'll watch it.