• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Halloween H20 (1998) Jamie Lee Curtis returns to the franchise. Easily the best cast of the Halloween movies so far. Along with Curtis, Michelle Williams, Josh Hartnett and Adam Arkin but the script wasn't good. Luckily it was short. A few moments of unintentional humor but not much suspense. Not the worst sequel but hard to recommend.

I watched Val.
A self filmed documentary by Val Kilmer about..Val Kilmer. A starting point is that he was well off as a kid. His father bought Roy Rodgers ranch as his boyhood home @1971. The family and Val himself had a camera in his hand for most of his life. I found it entertaining. Seeing Kilmer, Tom Cruise ,Kevin Bacon together as teen classmates was worth it on it's own

Reactions: movingtarget
I watched Val.
A self filmed documentary by Val Kilmer about..Val Kilmer. A starting point is that he was well off as a kid. His father bought Roy Rodgers ranch as his boyhood home @1971. The family and Val himself had a camera in his hand for most of his life. I found it entertaining. Seeing Kilmer, Tom Cruise ,Kevin Bacon together as teen classmates was worth it on it's own
I wondered whether this is really about Val Kilmer or some other famous and admirable Val... I thought surely it's not about Val Kilmer. I mean, why would anyone want to watch a movie about Val Kilmer? You make it sound interesting though, so perhaps I'll give Val a try. He was handsome once upon a time...

Absence of Malice (1981) - It's a dark day when I watch a Sally Field movie (I find her shrill and annoying), but this drama also starred Paul Newman, so I thought he could salvage it. He couldn't, he looked like he barely wanted to be there and he had no chemistry with Field at all. Absence of Malice had a lot of potential plot-wise (it reminded me of All the President's Men a bit), but the end product turned out dull and glacial. It was a snoozer.

Absence of Malice (1981) - It's a dark day when I watch a Sally Field movie (I find her shrill and annoying), but this drama also starred Paul Newman, so I thought he could salvage it. He couldn't, he looked like he barely wanted to be there and he had no chemistry with Field at all. Absence of Malice had a lot of potential plot-wise (it reminded me of All the President's Men a bit), but the end product turned out dull and glacial. It was a snoozer.
Hard to believe she started out in Gidget and The Flying Nun ! Both popular TV shows. Even her famous Academy Awards speech became fodder for comedians it seems. She wrote her autobiography a few years ago and she has been around forever. If she can write it might be an interesting read but I was never really drawn to her movies.

Hard to believe she started out in Gidget and The Flying Nun ! Both popular TV shows. Even her famous Academy Awards speech became fodder for comedians it seems. She wrote her autobiography a few years ago and she has been around forever. If she can write it might be an interesting read but I was never really drawn to her movies.
I've never seen Gidget or The Flying Nun, I do not wish to see these productions. Perish the thought!

Completely unrelated, but after many decades I started rewatching Murder, She Wrote because I've seen most episodes of Midsomer Murders several times now and wanted to move on to something different, sometimes I want my murders nice and quaint. Wherever Jessica Fletcher appears murders occur but she solves them all, it doesn't get any more quaint than that. Speaking of the sleuthing Jessica...

Angela Lansbury doesn't regret being primarily know as Jessica Fletcher, but she also kinda wishes people would remember her for her extensive and successful Broadway and film career as well. (The dame is still alive and kicking at 95 yrs. old, btw., she's one tough cookie! Her and Betty White both, Betty White is an astonishing 99yrs. old.)

Last edited:
I've never seen Gidget or The Flying Nun, I do not wish to see these productions. Perish the thought!

Completely unrelated, but after many decades I started rewatching Murder, She Wrote because I've seen most episodes of Midsomer Murders several times now and wanted to move on to something different, sometimes I want my murders nice and quaint. Wherever Jessica Fletcher appears murders occur but she solves them all, it doesn't get any more quaint than that. Speaking of the sleuthing Jessica...

Angela Lansbury doesn't regret being primarily know as Jessica Fletcher, but she also kinda wishes people would remember her for her extensive and successful Broadway and film career as well. (The dame is still alive and kicking at 95 yrs. old, btw., she's one tough cookie! Her and Betty White both, Betty White is an astonishing 99yrs. old.)
Both Lansbury and Betty White are amazing.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
My girlfriend and I just finished Dr. Death, a peacock 8 episode show. It’s about a real life neurosurgeon with a phd who maimed or killed 33 of his 38 patients over 2 years before finally losing his license and being arrested. It is absolutely a sad story as he was a very smooth talking doctor that sounded like he knew his stuff but according to other doctors and surgeons, couldn’t show you what a scalpel was or the difference between T1 and C7. Then would say his side of surgery was textbook and the mistakes were because of other screwups. He even operated on his “bestfriend” the day after they did drugs together and did the surgery still high, made his friend a quadriplegic, and didn’t even visit him after. Terrible man.

Last edited:
  • Angry
My girlfriend and I just finished Dr. Death, a peacock 8 episode show. It’s about a real life neurosurgeon with a phd who maimed or killed 33 of his 38 patients over 2 years before finally losing his license and being arrested. It is absolutely a sad story as he was a very smooth talking doctor that sounded like he knew his stuff but according to other doctors and surgeons, couldn’t show you what a scalpel was or the difference between T1 and C7. Then would say his side of surgery was textbook and the mistakes were because of other screwups. He even operated on his “bestfriend” the day after they did drugs together and did the surgery still high, made his friend a quadriplegic, and didn’t even visit him after. Terrible man.
I watched the first episode, not sure I can continue because it's just so dark and infuriating. I would just really have to be in the mood... it's good the series has some big names behind it like Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater. Issues like this need to be brought to the public's attention as I'm sure Dunscht wasn't/isn't the only hack out there.

Have you seen Concussion (2015)? It's been a while since I've seen it, but as I recall it was quite good.

Rewatched Jaws (1975) and Jaws 2 (1978) - Well the first one is a classic, not sure why Quint was such a cartoony pirate, though. Something to amuse the kids I guess..

Jaws 2 - So god help me I was rooting for the shark. The screaming, obnoxious teens just got on my last nerve.

I won't bother with Jaws 3 seeing as none of the original cast is in it, but Jaws: The Revenge I may watch just because it's supposed to be so awful. Michael Caine's career opportunities must have really dried up by then.

I watched the first episode, not sure I can continue because it's just so dark and infuriating. I would just really have to be in the mood... it's good the series has some big names behind it like Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater. Issues like this need to be brought to the public's attention as I'm sure Dunscht wasn't/isn't the only hack out there.

Have you seen Concussion (2015)? It's been a while since I've seen it, but as I recall it was quite good.

No, I haven’t heard of that at all.

No, I haven’t heard of that at all.
If you're into medical drama I would recommend it, it's based on the true story of a doctor doing research and trying to convince people playing American football can cause long-term damage to the brain. Of course, the NFL fought him every step of the way...

Edit: I should add that it's the concussions that can cause long-term brain damage, not American football itself. In boxing they call it dementia pugulistica, took the NFL long enough to recognize and acknowledge repeated blows to the head are not so good for the brain.

Last edited:
If you're into medical drama I would recommend it, it's based on the true story of a doctor doing research and trying to convince people playing American football can cause long-term damage to the brain. Of course, the NFL fought him every step of the way...

Edit: I should add that it's the concussions that can cause long-term brain damage, not American football itself. In boxing they call it dementia pugulistica, took the NFL long enough to recognize and acknowledge repeated blows to the head are not so good for the brain.
Ohhh it’s that movie. Yeah I heard of that one. Isn’t Will Smith the doctor?

I watch Murder, She Wrote part of the time on Hallmark Murder and Mystery or whatever that channel is. I remember watching it with my Grandmother when it originally aired. Yes, sometimes a quaint murder mystery is nice. For another series with quaint murder mysteries try Diagnosis Murder. It's *** Van ***'s murder mystery show. (dating myself) I watched it with my mom while I was in college. *** Van *** plays a doctor at a hospital and most of the shows take place in and around the hospital.

I watched the first episode of The Alienist before the Olympics started. Now I need to start watching it again. It has 2 seasons, both are mini series and it's a dark series. Good cast, very good acting and great period costumes. Set in NYC in the 1890's.

Rewatched Jaws (1975) and Jaws 2 (1978) - Well the first one is a classic, not sure why Quint was such a cartoony pirate, though. Something to amuse the kids I guess..

Jaws 2 - So god help me I was rooting for the shark. The screaming, obnoxious teens just got on my last nerve.

I won't bother with Jaws 3 seeing as none of the original cast is in it, but Jaws: The Revenge I may watch just because it's supposed to be so awful. Michael Caine's career opportunities must have really dried up by then.
Yes the first one was a classic. The sequels were generally plain bad. A few decent scenes in the second one. Roy Scheider did the right thing refusing roles after the second one. Michael Caine admitted to making movies simply for money and his career shows that but as he got older he seemed to get pickier or he had less offers, with good results, often in smaller roles.

Yes the first one was a classic. The sequels were generally plain bad. A few decent scenes in the second one. Roy Scheider did the right thing refusing roles after the second one. Michael Caine admitted to making movies simply for money and his career shows that but as he got older he seemed to get pickier or he had less offers, with good results, often in smaller roles.
That’s how I feel with Jurassic Park, the first one was good and the others fell off. Jurassic Word was alright.

With playing the Doom 3 remaster It makes me want to watch Doom again.

Rewatched 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) after some 40+ years, as a kid I thought it was magical. As an adult I still think it's magical, but it gives you some intellectual stuff to think about as well. So it's not just a Disney movie for kids. The sets are just marvelous, I don't think modern CGI can compare. The only thing I would cut out is Kirk Douglas' musical numbers (they're just too cutesy for my increasingly grumpy, aging self), but otherwise this sci-fi classic still holds up well. It's an absolute must-see for fans of sci-fi movies.

Btw., Jules Verne was such a visionary, things people only dared to imagine centuries ago are now reality.

Mont Blanc Murder (2006) - Well, the snowy mountain scenery was wonderful, but despite the English subtitles I had no idea what was going on in this French family drama. The drama I mostly understood, but why they chose to mix it with some kind of a jewelry heist I don't get. It really didn't need to be there, it only muddied the waters. But, at least the scenery was great (can't say the same for the Vuelta), so there's that.