• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Debug (2014) - From Canada comes this highly unoriginal, low-budget sci-fi flick, it looked like a project a bunch of film school students had to complete in order to graduate. The special effects were reminiscent of a poor man's Tron and 2001: ASO... bless their hearts, they tried so hard with what they had to work with. So if you keep that in mind it can actually be a pretty fun viewing experience, I didn't see it as a waste of time, at any rate. (Unlike those 45 minutes of watching Aronofsky's Mother I'll never get back.)

• Haha
Reactions: movingtarget
Mr. Brooks (2007) - I think this is actually a pretty decent psychological thriller, though the dialogue between William Hurt and Kevin Costner was getting annoyingly repetitive. Demi Moore's nasty divorce subplot could be viewed as totally unnecessary, but I thought it provided some diversion from the Hurt-Costner monotony, so I never got bored. (Confused maybe, but not bored.) The ending was left open because this was supposed to be a trilogy, but the trilogy never materialized. So, it is what it is.

Rewatched Tron (1982) - I love the original Tron nearly as much as I love Blade Runner, in their own ways they were both very influential in the genre of sci-fi. Tron's CGI and special effects look pretty cheesy and primitive nowadays, but back then they were considered revolutionary and I find their simplicity endearing. (Kinda like when you look at vintage bikes and think awwww, look how far we've come since downtube shifters.)

Tron: Legacy (2010) - This one I found confusing and wasn't wowed by, but the references to the original Tron were nice. So... I think watching Tron and Tron: Legacy back-to-back makes for a nice evening or afternoon of sci-fi viewing.

Reactions: movingtarget
Here Today starring Billy Crystal..an absolutely obvious movie,nothing surprising,completely predictable, good movie. It's about something horrible,a guy aging out and getting dementia..everyone in the film does what they are supposed to..I liked it.
a movie I saw years ago that is better,will rip your heart out..

Away from Her..starring Julie Christie..don't know how old she was..or how old she was in Dr.Zhivago..but you will love her and her husband in this movie..she just loses her mind but her husband loses everything..a great love story..trust me,if you watch it and you get it, the movie and the message will stay with you..outstanding in my opinion..
Being There..is also about someone out of their mind..Peter Sellers and Shirley Macklane made a masterpiece.
switching minds..World According to Garp..this movie was dealing with transgender,before it was all the rage..John Lithgow and Robin Williams can't get better.

Here Today starring Billy Crystal..an absolutely obvious movie,nothing surprising,completely predictable, good movie. It's about something horrible,a guy aging out and getting dementia..everyone in the film does what they are supposed to..I liked it.
a movie I saw years ago that is better,will rip your heart out..

Away from Her..starring Julie Christie..don't know how old she was..or how old she was in Dr.Zhivago..but you will love her and her husband in this movie..she just loses her mind but her husband loses everything..a great love story..trust me,if you watch it and you get it, the movie and the message will stay with you..outstanding in my opinion..
Being There..is also about someone out of their mind..Peter Sellers and Shirley Macklane made a masterpiece.
switching minds..World According to Garp..this movie was dealing with transgender,before it was all the rage..John Lithgow and Robin Williams can't get better.
Away From Her was very good, Being There was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and The World Acccording To Garp was good but a little disappointing for me, only because I liked the book so much.

There is a Turkish movie I saw a few weeks ago, About a guy who has a mental issue which has him eternally as an 8yo..he is in his 30's, has a daughter, gets, accused,convicted and incarcerated for a murder he didn't commit..a really good film..I can't find the title..
I have the new Will Smith movie about the lives of the Williams family and how the father's determination starts his daughters to tennis super stardom..

The Constant Gardener (2005) - Reminiscent of Syriana, Erin Brockovich, and Michael Clayton where money and politics intertwine with ethics, I thought the anti- Big Pharma message in Constant Gardener was a bit heavy-handed. That I can overlook, but the shaky handheld camera shenanigans I cannot, I just find them so distracting and unnecessary. Otherwise I think this is a good drama, it would have been better if only they could have held the camera still.

Reactions: SafeBet
Next Of Kin (1982) Low budget Australian thriller which starts out as a creepy, slow burn potential ghost story and then goes bonkers in the final 20 minutes. Decent performances especially the lead actress, visually good and I can see why Tarantino is a fan. A good but fairly unknown independent movie made during the golden age of Australian cinema re 70s and 80s. Interestingly the director made industrial films before this effort and never made another movie.

Coming 2 America (2021) - My expectations were very low, so I wasn't disappointed with this sequel. A lot of the (aging) cast, references, and flashbacks from the original were included, so this sequel only makes sense if you've seen Coming to America from 1988. Looking at it that way Coming 2 America is a warm and fuzzy, sentimental trip down memory lane, I actually kind of enjoyed it.

So there will be a supposedly emotional Alec Baldwin interview with George Stephanopoulos on TV this evening, I'll try to catch it or at least record it for later viewing. Being the accidental shooting on set investigation is still underway, and being Baldwin is an actor and I don't necessarily trust actors to be genuine with their emotions, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on the movie industry and how it operates as a whole.

A short preview of the interview...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDygAtfaao&ab_channel=60Minutes

Hugo (2011) One of Scorsese's best movies of the past 20 years or so. Basically its a tribute to the the imagination and the pioneers of the cinema. Technically superb and as a family oriented film it was a change of pace for Scorsese. Entertaining without being up there with his best work.