• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Avalanche: Nature Unleashed (2004) - Bless the film students, for they not know what they do. :tearsofjoy:

I took a break from movie watching and upon my return I ran into this doozy, everything about it screamed film school project. The budget was low, the script very unoriginal, dialogue insipid, the acting unimpressive, and the worst part by far was the score. The music sounded like some poor man's rave, it just didn't fit anything that was going on on the screen. Still, the effort was rather endearing and the scenery in the snowy Bulgarian mountains was lovely, so there's that.

Happy and safe holidays, y'all!

Avalanche: Nature Unleashed (2004) - Bless the film students, for they not know what they do. :tearsofjoy:

I took a break from movie watching and upon my return I ran into this doozy, everything about it screamed film school project. The budget was low, the script very unoriginal, dialogue insipid, the acting unimpressive, and the worst part by far was the score. The music sounded like some poor man's rave, it just didn't fit anything that was going on on the screen. Still, the effort was rather endearing and the scenery in the snowy Bulgarian mountains was lovely, so there's that.

Happy and safe holidays, y'all!
Enjoy the holidays.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
The Survivor (1980) Australian made mystery about a pilot who was the only survivor of an airliner crash. A stripped down version of the book. Slow moving and watchable but a little average. Removing most of the creepy scenes from the book didn't help but that was probably more to do with the budget.

Greenland (2020). Not a bad disaster movie. More drama than special effects end of the world type movie but there is some of that. The chaos and the panic in the first hour is very believable and the acting was pretty good. Probably one of the better disaster movies of recent times.

Sayonara (1957) - Wonderfully filmed and acted, and I dare say when it first came out it must have been considered pretty edgy and thought-provoking being it was critical of society, much like the musical South Pacific (1958). Both movies tackle the topics of racism and interracial relationships... I've seen both movies several times and only now did I see the similarity. I guess the similarity should come as no surprise as both movies had been based on stories written by an author who himself had had an interracial marriage back when it was considered terribly taboo.

Having said that even nowadays the message of Sayonara (and South Pacific) applies, the only question is why did Brando mumble so much in a southern accent? I tell ya without subtitles I would have had no idea what he was saying.

Sayonara (1957) - Wonderfully filmed and acted, and I dare say when it first came out it must have been considered pretty edgy and thought-provoking being it was critical of society, much like the musical South Pacific (1958). Both movies tackle the topics of racism and interracial relationships... I've seen both movies several times and only now did I see the similarity. I guess the similarity should come as no surprise as both movies had been based on stories written by an author who himself had had an interracial marriage back when it was considered terribly taboo.

Having said that even nowadays the message of Sayonara (and South Pacific) applies, the only question is why did Brando mumble so much in a southern accent? I tell ya without subtitles I would have had no idea what he was saying.
Brando could seemingly mumble in many accents .........except in Julius Caesar where oddly he decided to follow the rest of the cast and speak clearly enunciated English ...........

The Hand of God (2021): it's a lot less about Maradona than I expected, and a lot more about Sorrentino than I expected. It's also the more intimate, nostalgic and personal among Sorrentino's movies. The cinematography is once again immaculate, showing some incredible glimpses of Naples, as The Great Beauty did with Rome. I didn't know most of the actors outside of Servillo (the usual monster) but great performances overall. Not a perfect movie, especially in the second part, but one worth watching.

Reactions: movingtarget
The idea behind Don't Look Up was pretty cool but I didn't really enjoy it. Characters are a bit thin for my liking.
There are obviously many worse comedy movies out there so I guess it's ok for a few laughs at home (especially these days) but based on the casting and the idea I was expecting more.

Reactions: movingtarget

Mike Ortan

BANNED
Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Hello Guys,
Most of the people in the world spend their free time watching movies.
So, I want to add one thing to every person's enjoyment that is a projector because it will give you a real environment of watching the movie, go and visit the perfect projector for getting the best projectors.

Last edited:
Meander (2020) - A French, very slow-paced sci-fi flick very reminiscent of Cube but with a few twists (one includes a cheap looking Alien-like creature), it was truly meandering. The budget was poor but the sets and lead actress were still good, but the story was a mishmash of movies we had seen before. So, if you haven't already I would recommend watching 1997's Cube instead, and 2019's Escape Room (which I haven't seen) has been mentioned in some reviews as well. So I think I'll watch Escape Room next.

Meander (2020) - A French, very slow-paced sci-fi flick very reminiscent of Cube but with a few twists (one includes a cheap looking Alien-like creature), it was truly meandering. The budget was poor but the sets and lead actress were still good, but the story was a mishmash of movies we had seen before. So, if you haven't already I would recommend watching 1997's Cube instead, and 2019's Escape Room (which I haven't seen) has been mentioned in some reviews as well. So I think I'll watch Escape Room next.
Cube was good, the sequels not so much.

A Chorus Line (1985) - Probably for diehard fans of Broadway only because there is very little dialogue, the vast majority of the action takes place on a stage with singing/dancing numbers. I'm familiar with only a couple of the songs because we did a Broadway medley back in high school choir and those were good songs, the rest of the Chorus Line songs struck me as rather bland. But then I watched a documentary about the real life chorus line, it's a very tough gig to get into, so I gained an appreciation for those who even dare to audition. So yeah, watching the documentary (Every Little Step from 2008) afterward made me like A Chorus Line a lot more.

manik99

BANNED
Jan 27, 2022
Visit site
I just watched TV series Star Trek: Picard. Excellent series I ever watched. I was using logitech headset to watch because currently I am on work and its very useful for handle conference calls.

TRENDING THREADS