• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I liked both versions of True Grit. Don't think I preferred the newer one any more. The newer one definitely had more humor and more violence. I was never a huge John Wayne fan but I liked him in that one. But as a general rule, remakes are rarely better than the original same with sequels. The Godfather II was probably one of the greatest sequels ever made and pretty much matched the original for quality.

I enjoy both versions of True Grit too, and their differences. Watching one will put me in the mood for the other.

As far as sequels go, The Road Warrior (as it is called in the US) was a great sequel for Mad Max. And that's where anything good about Mad Max ends.

Reactions: movingtarget
I enjoy both versions of True Grit too, and their differences. Watching one will put me in the mood for the other.

As far as sequels go, The Road Warrior (as it is called in the US) was a great sequel for Mad Max. And that's where anything good about Mad Max ends.
I never really took to the Mad Max movies. Thought the first two were decent. Watched the most recent one and could only watch about half of it. Didn't grab me at all. But the first two have become real cult movies. After that it went downhill as you noted.

Iceman: The Time Traveller (2018) - From Hong Kong and China comes this comedy fantasy movie, wish I had known beforehands that it was meant to be a comedy. Visually it was wonderful, but the dubbing was just so godawful and no option for English subtitles... if I had known it was a comedy I would have looked at it differently, it would have been like watching old kung fu flicks. (We all know how silly the translations and dubbing was in kung fu flicks! :))

Halloween Ends (2022) For me it probably will. I have no inclination to watch any more Halloween movies. Possibly the worst Halloween movie ever made.
I think I may have tried watching it but gave up, I can't remember. But apparently Jamie Lee Curtis got some recognition for her acting and the score won the Fangoria Chainsaw Award - I thought maybe it should have been nominated for a few Razzies as well.

I think I may have tried watching it but gave up, I can't remember. But apparently Jamie Lee Curtis got some recognition for her acting and the score won the Fangoria Chainsaw Award - I thought maybe it should have been nominated for a few Razzies as well.
The music wasn't bad at all done by John Carpenter and his son. I always preferred Curtis in comedies like A Fish called Wanda, Ttrue Lies or Trading Places. I think she is better in those roles than the more dramatic ones but she was okay in this. She was also an executive producer so the dollars keep rolling in but this was the worst movie of the trilogy. No doubt they will make more and it is a lucrative franchise and has faithful fans it seems but the movies also cop plenty of criticism as well from those fans. Like to think that is Curtis' last acting gig with Halloween. With Hollywood who knows ?

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Seeing as we, the dedicated movie lovers, probably get to see more crap movies than good ones I thought it would be fun to list some of the actors and production people who had won a Razzie in the past. I think the Razzie Awards are hilarious, and I definitely appreciate the actors who had attended and then dutifully accepted their award. They are few, but it shows they have a sense of humor! (Btw., Sylvester Stallone holds the record for most nominations and wins, not surprising given his output after the first three Rocky movies.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_accepted_Golden_Raspberry_Awards

In the Bedroom (2001) - Where there is Sissy Spacek there is likely to be an award-winning performance, this movie was no different. However, this movie started out as a heavy, very dark family drama (reminiscent of Ordinary People), and then it started taking turns into crime drama where I thought the climax, although satisfying, was not very realistic.

That said while I found most of the characters unlikable the acting was superb. So there's that.

In the Bedroom (2001) - Where there is Sissy Spacek there is likely to be an award-winning performance, this movie was no different. However, this movie started out as a heavy, very dark family drama (reminiscent of Ordinary People), and then it started taking turns into crime drama where I thought the climax, although satisfying, was not very realistic.

That said while I found most of the characters unlikable the acting was superb. So there's that.
I liked it. I didn't find the twist that unrealistic. Acting was great of course. Never seen a bad performance by Spacek or even a mediocre one. The guy that played the killer is Tom Cruise's cousin !

• Wow
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I liked it. I didn't find the twist that unrealistic. Acting was great of course. Never seen a bad performance by Spacek or even a mediocre one. The guy that played the killer is Tom Cruise's cousin !
I would never have guessed the actor who played the killer was related to Tom Cruise!

Re: In the Bedroom I just thought the tone was uneven. Maybe I've been watching too much Dateline and Cruise Ship Killers lately...

If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd

I was only 10 when the plane crashed so their heyday was before the time that I listened to much beyond what my parents did. Southern Rock was really never my thing, but it was impossible as a teen in the '80s not to hear their hits. This documentary is worth watching IMO.
If I never hear Free Bird, Simple Man, and Sweet Home Alabama again it'll be too soon! I do actually still like That Smell though, so I'll give this documentary a shot.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Rewatched The Presidio (1988) - think I liked this military crime drama better when it first came out. This time though, after several attempts, I fell asleep about halfway through. Love Sean Connery but both he and Mark Harmon had very poor chemistry and gave uninspired performances, guess they needed the paycheck. The best part was the the San Francisco and Golden Gate Bridge scenery, so at least there was that.

Crimson Tide (1995) - Big stars, big budget, lots of action, an implausible happy ending, this is Hollywood at its best. This was a rewatch for me and I didn't like Crimson Tide any better this time around than I did when it first came out. I suppose it's entertaining enough if you've never seen any other submarine movies, but just from the more modern era I would recommend watching Das Boot or even The Hunt for Red October over Crimson Tide.

Crimson Tide (1995) - Big stars, big budget, lots of action, an implausible happy ending, this is Hollywood at its best. This was a rewatch for me and I didn't like Crimson Tide any better this time around than I did when it first came out. I suppose it's entertaining enough if you've never seen any other submarine movies, but just from the more modern era I would recommend watching Das Boot or even The Hunt for Red October over Crimson Tide.
Das Boot was a good one and the TV series wasn't bad. The book was also good.