• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The House By The Cemetery (1981) Italian director Lucio Fulci made some good horror movies but this was one of his lesser efforts. The weakest of the three movies in his Gates of Hell trilogy. Old house, demon returns from the dead, plenty of blood, the usual Fulci 80's formula. Some decent visuals but not much else. For 80's horror devotees only.

The Deepest Breath
This is a great movie. Great story, great characters, a fantastic love story and filled with heartbreak.. Did I mention it's a documentary.. a must see.

The Comebacks
A football comedy spoof..pretty funny..2007

TV
H/JACK...
w Iris Elba..watched first 5 very good
Full Circle..
watched the first couple.. about kidnapping a teenager and they take the wrong one, and man what a twisted mess,really good show.
Swimming w Sharks.
. about being obsessed with Hollywood everything. Donald Sutherland is awesome. Kiernan Shipka,who was *** Draper's daughter on Mad Men is all grown up and then some.. It's a mini series so 6 episodes, good time

Avalanche (1994) - This unintentionally funny disaster flick is so bad it needs to be seen, especially by David Hasselhoff fans. The script is just terrible - poor Michael Gross was repeating the same lines throughout the movie, it's as if the writers had been on strike already back then! And then there's Hasselhoff's uber-dramatic acting... it really needs to be seen, I laughed when I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to.

Anyhoo, a hidden gem this one is, I highly recommend!

• Haha
Reactions: movingtarget
Ski Lift to Death (1978) - A fairly decent action thriller about people who get stuck in ski lift gondolas and then are rescued. There's also a murder plot, but that is pretty much run-of-the-mill. The snowy scenery was lovely (filmed in Alberta, Canada), and the fun part was seeing big TV stars of yesteryear like a very young Don Johnson, Veronica Hamel, and Charles Frank. The ski lift rescue itself was actually pretty interesting and informative, so that's how they do it! The only huge bummer was the quality of the movie itself - it was blurry and had a greenish tint, it must have been lifted off an old VHS tape. Otherwise though it's really well-made for a TV movie, I would recommend.

Tenebrae (1982) Dario Argento horror/slasher. Maybe his most graphic movie. Be lucky to escape the censors wrath these days. Acting not too bad with a few Hollywood veterans mixed in with the Italian cast : John Saxon and Anthony Franciosa. Someone starts duplicating the murders from a writer's novel. Another quirky Goblin music score and some nice visuals. Not peak Argento but better than average.

Opera (1987) probably Argento's last good film before his downturn. The staging of a Verdi opera including a maniac on the loose. Argento at his most demented and inspired. Graphic murders with some attempt to explore the killer's psychology, more than usual. Visually rich especially the opera scenes, some great Verdi music. Too bad he included some heavy metal music as well, obviously it was meant to be jarring but it was overkill and not needed. Once again not his very best work but entertaining and worthwhile especially compared to what came later. Some stunning visuals which was always the director's strength. The acting was hit and miss, not unusual for these types of movies.

Opera (1987) probably Argento's last good film before his downturn. The staging of a Verdi opera including a maniac on the loose. Argento at his most demented and inspired. Graphic murders with some attempt to explore the killer's psychology, more than usual. Visually rich especially the opera scenes, some great Verdi music. Too bad he included some heavy metal music as well, obviously it was meant to be jarring but it was overkill and not needed. Once again not his very best work but entertaining and worthwhile especially compared to what came later. Some stunning visuals which was always the director's strength. The acting was hit and miss, not unusual for these types of movies.
Normally super slashers aren't my thing, but being this one includes opera I'll just have to watch it. (I'm guessing it might be like a very bloody version of a Midsomer Murders episode? :tearsofjoy:)

It's currently available on Tubi for free, so I'll have to watch it ASAP before it disappears!

Winter's Tale (2014) romantic fantasy. A good cast including William Hurt, Russell Crowe and Colin Farrell couldn't save this one. Apart from some nice visuals, not much to recommend. Poor version of the book and Crowe hamming it up as the comic book villain was a more than a little irritating. Nice performance by Hurt.

So I gave Opera a watch and you were right, the opera parts were great! Argento definitely has an eye for lush colors and visually invigorating environments, but he also has an eye for gore. I was playing a game on my laptop while watching, when things got too gory I looked away and resumed my game. :D

Interesting tidbit about the making of this film via IMDb - when asked Argento said the lead actress Cristina Marsillach was the most difficult actor he ever had to work with. I'm not familiar with Marsillach at all, so I can't imagine why that is.

So I gave Opera a watch and you were right, the opera parts were great! Argento definitely has an eye for lush colors and visually invigorating environments, but he also has an eye for gore. I was playing a game on my laptop while watching, when things got too gory I looked away and resumed my game. :D

Interesting tidbit about the making of this film via IMDb - when asked Argento said the lead actress Cristina Marsillach was the most difficult actor he ever had to work with. I'm not familiar with Marsillach at all, so I can't imagine why that is.
Never heard that story about the actress. I don't think she had much of a career. Yes he never skimps on the gore but his earlier more restrained films were his best but even some of those had very violent scenes.. Argento was pretty eccentric and controversial. Whenever you saw the hands of the killer in one of his movies they were his actual hands ! And whenever the killer was providing narration it was always in Argento's voice ! He also used to upset the feminists although interestingly he often had gay characters in his movies and even trans before it became popular to do so. His daughter also appeared in some of his later movies and of course some of her scenes were deemed controversial not because she was under age but because of the sex or violence and his long time partner, rumoured to be wife also often suffered in his movies. I guesss a Freudian psychologist would find it all very interesting ! She also claimed to have co-written the scripts with him but sometimes without being credited which later caused problems in their relationship. The films with her were probably his best so she probably had a point. When she stopped writing with him the quality wasn't the same story wise even though the visuals were still good until budget restrictions started having an effect.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Never heard that story about the actress. I don't think she had much of a career. Yes he never skimps on the gore but his earlier more restrained films were his best but even some of those had very violent scenes.. Argento was pretty eccentric and controversial. Whenever you saw the hands of the killer in one of his movies they were his actual hands ! And whenever the killer was providing narration it was always in Argento's voice ! He also used to upset the feminists although interestingly he often had gay characters in his movies and even trans before it became popular to do so. His daughter also appeared in some of his later movies and of course some of her scenes were deemed controversial not because she was under age but because of the sex or violence and his long time partner, rumoured to be wife also often suffered in his movies. I guesss a Freudian psychologist would find it all very interesting ! She also claimed to have co-written the scripts with him but sometimes without being credited which later caused problems in their relationship. The films with her were probably his best so she probably had a point. When she stopped writing with him the quality wasn't the same story wise even though the visuals were still good until budget restrictions started having an effect.
Thanks for the info, that's good stuff!

I tried watching Argento's Phenomena (1985) recently, and I liked what I saw of the visuals. But Jennifer Connelly was very young back then (only 15!) and hadn't quite learned the acting trade yet, so I didn't get very far. But what I saw of the filming locations (Italy and Switzerland) anyway I liked.

I guess for a really really long time.. Murder is a good angle in pop culture. Right off, you think murder can't be funny. That would be wrong.. even bordering shows like Dexter have some humor. Recently I watched Dead to Me..Christina Applegate gets into some pretty silly situations based around murder. Another one that I just watched and thought was pretty funny..
Based on a True Story.
A couple find out about a serial killer.. start a popular and lucrative ( saves their house) podcast with the killer.. Sounds seriously stupid and it is, very entertaining.. Produced by Jason Bateman from Arrested Development and Ozark and a bunch of other films, it's worth your time to check it out

Thanks for the info, that's good stuff!

I tried watching Argento's Phenomena (1985) recently, and I liked what I saw of the visuals. But Jennifer Connelly was very young back then (only 15!) and hadn't quite learned the acting trade yet, so I didn't get very far. But what I saw of the filming locations (Italy and Switzerland) anyway I liked.
Phenomena wasn't his best but okay. Connelly's first movie and her acting was limited just like the early Nicole Kidman movies although I did like her scenes with Donald Pleasance and the chimp ! Some crazy scenes with the chimp, towards the finish, going after the murderer ! And some nice visuals of course.

I guess for a really really long time.. Murder is a good angle in pop culture. Right off, you think murder can't be funny. That would be wrong.. even bordering shows like Dexter have some humor. Recently I watched Dead to Me..Christina Applegate gets into some pretty silly situations based around murder. Another one that I just watched and thought was pretty funny..
Based on a True Story.
A couple find out about a serial killer.. start a popular and lucrative ( saves their house) podcast with the killer.. Sounds seriously stupid and it is, very entertaining.. Produced by Jason Bateman from Arrested Development and Ozark and a bunch of other films, it's worth your time to check it out
I think pending on the approach murder can be very funny, or at least light-hearted, like in slashers, Agatha Christie novels, or TV cozies and the like. (I know I've mentioned Midsomer Murders at least once here, the show is funny because half of a village usually gets decimated per episode. And it's not just the body count, it's also the way people get murdered - sometimes it's very creative! :tearsofjoy:) These type of murders aren't meant to be taken seriously though, so all is well.

Campus Code (2015) - Not sure whether this action sci-fi flick is brilliant or a complete hack job, at the very least, and in certain parts, it reminded me of The Stepford Wives and Tron. The ending did have a surprising twist I didn't see coming, but it didn't quite make up for the choppy storytelling. It was fun seeing Ray Liotta's and Martin Scorsese's cameos though, and one of the main characters was played terrifically by Hannah Hodson.

Fun trivia - the movie was directed by Cathy Scorsese, Martin Scorsese's daughter. So that would explain Marty's bizarre and surprising appearance in this potentially brilliant and confusing mess... I suppose Marty was just being a good and supportive dad.

Dersu Uzala (1975) about a friendship between a Russian explorerand a local hunter who becomes his guide in the Siberian frontier in 1902. Directed by Akira Kurosawa, visually impressive, a simple story but well made. Not one of Kurosawa's best movies but still good. A long movie and maybe not enough drama for some viewers. Based on the diaries of the real explorer.

Reactions: search
A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010) a remake of the 1984 original. Doesn't approach the quality of the original but not the worst remake I have seen. Watchable at best . A decent opening promised more than was delivered. Mercifully it didn't outstay it's welcome, with a brisk running time.

The Hunter (2011) A man is sent by a biotech corporation to the Tasmanian wilderness to find and kill a thought to be extinct Tasmanian Tiger for it's unique blood properties and return with samples. Fine performance by Willem Dafoe as the hunter and superb visuals of the Tasmanian landscape. A quiet but satisfying drama. Not a great film but well worth watching. Supporting performances are also good.

Someone's Watching Me (1978) early John Carpenter made for TV movie. Very Hitchcock like in plot and style. Even the music score had a Bermard Herrmann feel to it. Good visuals, with a nice performance from Lauren Hutton. Not one of Carpenter's very best but definitely in the top half of his filmography.
I just had to watch this after you had mentioned it because I couldn't remember whether I had seen it already, turns out I didn't. I thought it was okay enough, not Carpenter's best but definitely Carpenter. Some things left me puzzled and annoyed, like Hutton constantly talking to herself. Also, where did Birney go to when he suddenly disappeared at the parking lot? I thought maybe he was murdered or something. And mainly - why was that creep stalking Hutton to begin with? Unless I missed it it was never explained.

You were right in that this movie is very Hitchcockian, I'd say some scenes are a poor imitation of Rear Window. But then maybe it's just a homage, the original Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart is excellent!

I just had to watch this after you had mentioned it because I couldn't remember whether I had seen it already, turns out I didn't. I thought it was okay enough, not Carpenter's best but definitely Carpenter. Some things left me puzzled and annoyed, like Hutton constantly talking to herself. Also, where did Birney go to when he suddenly disappeared at the parking lot? I thought maybe he was murdered or something. And mainly - why was that creep stalking Hutton to begin with? Unless I missed it it was never explained.

You were right in that this movie is very Hitchcockian, I'd say some scenes are a poor imitation of Rear Window. But then maybe it's just a homage, the original Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart is excellent!
Yes he just seemed to run with the Hitchcock formula. He made this the same year he made Halloween which was a much better movie and made on the cheap. Yes the Birney character suddenly disappeared which was weird. He only went after Hutton because he noticed her through the telescope. His victims seemed to be random except for Adrienne Barbeau. The Rear Window similarities were hard to miss. Thought the first half was better than the second..

Interesting that Carpenter was dating Barbeau then he went on to date Debra Hill who produced Halloween and some of his later films before she tragically died of cancer. Barbeau was also the lead in The Fog which was made not long after Halloween along with Jamie Lee Curtis in a smaller role. Carpenter's first decade was his best . From the 90's onward he made mostly trash which was surprising after making much better films earlier. Debra Hill also used to co-write with Carpenter on his earlier films like Dario Argento and his partner, and those films were generally better.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Yes he just seemed to run with the Hitchcock formula. He made this the same year he made Halloween which was a much better movie and made on the cheap. Yes the Birney character suddenly disappeared which was weird. He only went after Hutton because he noticed her through the telescope. His victims seemed to be random except for Adrienne Barbeau. The Rear Window similarities were hard to miss. Thought the first half was better than the second..

Interesting that Carpenter was dating Barbeau then he went on to date Debra Hill who produced Halloween and some of his later films before she tragically died of cancer. Barbeau was also the lead in The Fog which was made not long after Halloween along with Jamie Lee Curtis in a smaller role. Carpenter's first decade was his best . From the 90's onward he made mostly trash which was surprising after making much better films earlier. Debra Hill also used to co-write with Carpenter on his earlier films like Dario Argento and his partner, and those films were generally better.
Funny you mention Adrienne Barbeau, when I first saw her in Someone's Watching Me I was thinking that's the gal from The Fog! Otherwise great info about Carpenter and his various relationships...

One thing I forgot to mention earlier about Someone's Watching Me is I think it's a terrific time warp into the 70s - sexual harassment of women in the workplace was probably fairly common back then, it's as if the men didn't understand that no means no. It's actually pretty perturbing to watch, thank goodness the times and attitudes have changed!