• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Trilogy Of Terror (1975) Made for TV three story anthology movie which were pretty popular in the 70's. Karen Black starred in each story and was very good in three very different roles.. The film became a cult classic mainly for the last story which was the most memorable. Directed by Dan Curtis who also directed other successful TV movies from the 70's such as The Night Stalker. Black had an interesting career and was also a good singer but she never became a big star even though she had a dedicated fan base.
I had to check Black's filmography and I must say the lady stayed very busy! The only movies I've seen with her though are Easy Rider (1969), Five Easy Pieces (1970), and Airport 1975. She was busy on TV as well, I'm sure I've seen her on Law &Order and other TV series.

Reactions: movingtarget
Trilogy Of Terror (1975) Made for TV three story anthology movie which were pretty popular in the 70's. Karen Black starred in each story and was very good in three very different roles.. The film became a cult classic mainly for the last story which was the most memorable. Directed by Dan Curtis who also directed other successful TV movies from the 70's such as The Night Stalker. Black had an interesting career and was also a good singer but she never became a big star even though she had a dedicated fan base.
Got around to watching this trilogy - the first part made me uneasy because it was so rapey, the second I found very predictable, but the third just made me howl. The sounds that evil little doll made were just... one really would have to see it because it's just too hilarious!

So yeah, if nothing else I think everyone needs to see part three of Trilogy of Terror. :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Untold: Swamp Kings

Netfilx doc on the 2005-2010 Florida Gators (Tebow, Meyer...).

Worth watching IMO.
Watched it.. Pretty cool seeing some of the old game highlights and all the emotions around college football.. Really struck me reading about pro athletes including some cyclists as they get a grip on life after sports.. A wrenching moment when Urban Meyer talks about cutting a guy from the program and once football wasn't in his life.. He ended up dead..

Reactions: jmdirt
Misconduct (2016) - A legal drama/thriller where Pacino's and Anthony Hopkins' roles were much too small, and even if they weren't I think they would have phoned it in anyway. This was an incoherent mess of twists and turns... I'm not sure even the filmmakers knew where they were heading with the plot so they just added on another twist. Some of the city visuals (filmed in New Orleans) were nice though, so at least there was that.

• Haha
Nothing makes me want to watch a Barbie movie... ever!
I watched it after reading about the production and art directors that worked on the film, it was visually interesting and I watched Wes Anderson's Asteroid City for the same reason.. bunch of really cool scenes and everyone in the cast was good I just didn't love the movie.. I watch most movies using streaming service and if I paid $14-17 bucks for a ticket times 2 people and $20+ bucks worth of snacks I would really be worked up!!

Rewatched Avalanche (1978) because I was in the mood for snow... what an obnoxious group of people that you don't actually mind that they end up being buried in an avalanche. :tearsofjoy: There's Rock Hudson's possessive character, the way he manhandles his ex-wife (played by Mia Farrow) even though she doesn't want him back was downright creepy. Then there's the laughable playboy skier and his psychotic girlfriend, and then a bunch of fools who should have never been left near snowmobiles because half of them crashed...

The snowy mountain scenery was great though and it was cool seeing some of the skiing equipment and clothing from the 70s. So it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Yep, that's the one and the trailer is all anyone needs to see.

There's also a Romanian Avalanche movie from 1958 which I haven't seen, not sure I'll be able to get ahold of it though.

Edit: god bless youtube, the Romanian Avalansa from 1958 can be found here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7j8EJ4LU84

I'm so giddy I could soil myself! Unfortunately I don't speak a lick of Romanian and I don't know how to add English subtitles (if there are any available), but as long as there's lots of snow I can just use my imagination as to the dialogue.

Last edited:
Avalanche (1946) - A fun little murder mystery on the mountain, the visuals were actually pretty neat. Lots of snow and skiing sequences, and the ski equipment from back then, well, for bindings I think they just used a couple of strings. lol. It's filmed in black&white and the quality is a little blurry, but this only adds to the sense of nostalgia. I can't find much info on IMDb about the movie so don't know where exactly it was filmed, but if you get a chance to watch it I would recommend, it's only a little over an hour long.

Last edited:
The Sniper (1952) thriller about a disturbed man who goes on a killing spree. Nice use of the San Francisco locations. Some good acting but the film was a little too preachy in regards to the main character. Makes some interesting points about the failures of the medical system re people with mental issues and was a bit bleak for the audiences of that time it seems. Not a great film but an interesting one. A mixture of crime drama and social realism.

Peyton Place (1957) - Keeping in mind this scandal-filled drama was filmed during the Hays Code era it's actually not too bad, back then the censors just went nuts in Hollywood trying to keep everything squeaky clean. The filmmakers of Peyton Place, with some skillful maneuvering (perhaps even by using an overly frilly score that didn't seem to fit the drama on-screen), were able to get away with a lot, the movie became a huge hit. The book that preceded it was apparently even tawdrier and more popular with sexually repressed housewives than the film but I haven't read it...

From a historical perspective I think the film is interesting and worth a looky, but otherwise it's just a tacky, adult soap opera that I wouldn't waste my time on. I certainly wouldn't waste it on Peyton Place the TV series, it too was very popular way back when. (I guess if you didn't get sex ed in school or at home you got it from Peyton Place. :tearsofjoy:)

Last edited:
Avalanche (1946) - A fun little murder mystery on the mountain, the visuals were actually pretty neat. Lots of snow and skiing sequences, and the ski equipment from back then, well, for bindings I think they just used a couple of strings. lol. It's filmed in black&white and the quality is a little blurry, but this only adds to the sense of nostalgia. I can't find much info on IMDb about the movie so don't know where exactly it was filmed, but if you get a chance to watch it I would recommend, it's only a little over an hour long.
I watched it after finding it on YouTube and I saw full length version of the Rock Hudson Avalanche also.
What I really like about old movies is the patience that everyone has.. The actors and director take their time.. An actor says a line and the other waits his or her turn, nobody talks over one another, The talking crow was funny and the soundtrack of the movie makes it. Treasury cops undercover at a ski resort and then murder all over.. Pretty good

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I watched it after finding it on YouTube and I saw full length version of the Rock Hudson Avalanche also.
What I really like about old movies is the patience that everyone has.. The actors and director take their time.. An actor says a line and the other waits his or her turn, nobody talks over one another, The talking crow was funny and the soundtrack of the movie makes it. Treasury cops undercover at a ski resort and then murder all over.. Pretty good
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I like older movies because it's like you've been transported onto a different planet, especially with the Hays Code in place filmmakers had to get pretty creative to get around the censors. So whatever adult situation that couldn't be shown on-screen could only be hinted at and you had to imagine the rest... no wonder the prudes thought/think the 50s was such an idealistic, morally "clean" era. lol!

Do you like film noir? I've seen some of the more popular films but am trying to get a little bit more into it, apparently film noir was Hollywood's answer to the Hays Code, or some such.

The Innocents (1961) Deborah Kerr is in good form as a governess tasked with caring for two young children in a country estate. Based on a classic novella by Henry James. The governess starts to see ghosts of former employees or is she imagining the whole thing ? Stunning visuals and very atmospheric with some great performances by Kerr and the two children. Considered by many to be a genre classic and it's easy to see why. Highly recommended for fans of creepy movies.

Last edited:
The War of the Worlds (1953) - First time I saw this as a kid I thought the iconic Martian war machines were really spooky, now I still think they are spooky. But the rest is kinda Hays Code era sci-fi for kids - no cussing, no blood and gore, square dancing on a Saturday night where the hardest thing the adults drink is a Coke, and not even a single argument with the scientist! (By golly, in more modern sci-fi flicks the scientist always gets it.)

Still, the plot is pleasantly simple and the visuals are great (I like the sets and the special effects a lot more than modern cgi), so looking at it from that perspective the movie is definitely worth a looky.

The War of the Worlds (1953) - First time I saw this as a kid I thought the iconic Martian war machines were really spooky, now I still think they are spooky. But the rest is kinda Hays Code era sci-fi for kids - no cussing, no blood and gore, square dancing on a Saturday night where the hardest thing the adults drink is a Coke, and not even a single argument with the scientist! (By golly, in more modern sci-fi flicks the scientist always gets it.)

Still, the plot is pleasantly simple and the visuals are great (I like the sets and the special effects a lot more than modern cgi), so looking at it from that perspective the movie is definitely worth a looky.
Are you saying this is a make America great again movie!!! When times were pure !!! Sounds like idyllic Idaho or Utah I think they still do square dancing.. and all should remember that the term malarkey is still in use..

The Ghost (1963) - The sets, costumes, and spooky atmosphere are all very well done in this psychological horror flick, and much to my delight the ending I did not see coming. I don't want to give too much away but the characters are so twisted and perturbing they could only match the ones from What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962).

Arbitrage (2012) - Whether playing a good guy or a bad guy I've always found Richard Gere pretty unremarkable as an actor, in this world of corrupt finance thriller he's playing a despicable, amoral bad guy. The movie itself is pretty good initially, but then it gets really twisty and turny and comes to an unsatisfying conclusion. I thought for sure there must be a sequel, but there isn't. All in all unless a Richard Gere fan I would skip this one.

The Babysitter's Seduction (1996) - Hilariously bad TV family drama, it was so unintentionally funny I just had to keep watching. Some parts and over-the-top acting reminded me of Showgirls (1995)... the funniest part actually was seeing Clair Huxtable (Phylicia Rashad) playing a wise and knowing detective. Talk about a miscast...