• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ah! Well that's embarrassing. Capitães de Abril of course. I better remember this for my Contemporary History of Portugal exam in January!

Indeed I am currently taking some classes for a small degree in Portuguese. I got interested in Portuguese language and culture by coincidence. My main studies are in Spanish, but when I started university I found out I had to choose a "minor". The choices were History, English or Portuguese. Portuguese worked best with my schedule (it meant I could have Fridays off), so I chose Portuguese.

Then I found out I really like it. I had lots of Portuguese friends growing up, but despite spending much time with them I never learned anything about their culture (except a few portuguese swear words). I subconsciously always regarded my own culture as superior - after all, Portuguese people held menial jobs and flunked out of school, while Luxembourgians were bankers and teachers and went on to the best high schools.

Then I got to university and discovered that in fact, the exact opposite was true. Portugal had a culture that was infinitely richer and older than my own. Portuguese seamen had discovered the world, their poets and authors had won Nobel prizes and were world renowned. Portugal's national history dates back to the 12th century - Luxembourg has been a nation since 1839. Suddenly, I also started seeing the beauty in the portuguese language, their songs, and portuguese traditional food; all of which had seemed somehow "lesser" to me until then, compared to my culture's.

So this was an interesting experience for me, discovering how your surroundings and the socioeconomical situation in which you grow up influences your thinking and your perception of the people around you. Here I was, thinking of myself as an open-minded, cultured and tolerant person, and finding out that subconsciously I had the same prejudices and stereotypes as the people I claimed to despise.

But I know that portuguese emigration, or emigration in general, can have the opposite effect on people. Some of my friends for example got much more involved in the family life of their portuguese friends, and they would even take them to Portugal in the summer. Or my Italian teacher at school told us, the day he started to be interested in Italian culture was when his little immigrant friends from elementary school took him home to their family and made him taste peccorino.

So I was a bit of a "late bloomer" - but, better late then never! I got interested in José Saramago when I heard the story of "The Elephant's Journey". Since I had studied that particular period of portuguese history, I was excited to read a novel set in that time. Saramago is actually very well-represented in French bookstores, you will almost always find his novels in bookstores (French publisher "Points" has published his entire work in a nice paperback collection). Since then I have read "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ", "History of the Siege of Lisbon" (another fictionalization of a historic event), "Cain" and "Blindness". Ideologically, I can identify very closely with Saramago. But I got a bit saturated of his style - basically if you've read one book of Saramago, you've read them all. So I have put him aside a little bit but will likely take it up again sometime in the future.

Coming back to the topic at hand - have you seen the movie "Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhall, based on his novel "O Homem Duplicado" ("The Double")? I have not, I'll have to see if it is at the local library. I heard they also made a movie version of "Blindness" - that is one movie I do not have to see, though I am slightly curious to find out how they did it.

Concerning Capitães de Abril, it also has the actor who plays the dad in "La Cage Dorée" in it. My teacher (an Instituto Camõens scholar) recomended it as part of our Contemporary History class. According to her, it is very accurate and based on a great deal of documentation.

BigMac said:
Related to what you say about FMJ, I noticed that it was quite a transition from the bootcamp to Vietnam. In the first instants I was left a bit clueless but got into it, eventually. I assume Kubrick's intention was precisely that as you say - to show the contrast of worlds and realities. I'll try to watch ''The Hill'': I read it is set in Africa for a change, I'm interested. And happy it has a more subtile meaning to it than the obvious some can't get past to. Thanks a lot for that! :)

eheh yeah if you see all the best Vietnam War films (Apocalypse Now, Platoon, etc. could name more but I'll desist here:D), all that they have in common is a sense of anarchy. The commanders are not there and the soldiers are all young kids who don't know what to do.

I'm afraid you might get disappointed about The Hill, though. Though it's set in Tunisia - if I remember well -, in a British prison camp during World War II but you won't get to see much of Tunisian life. It's just about the camp. ;)

However if you see it, tell me what you think :) because I was quite surprised when I read the comments on Allociné, stamping it as antimilitarist. I definitely didn't see it that way at all. I'm a WWII vet's grandson, so I guess I don't like it when artists bash the army. :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
as time in cinemas is almost up...Thoughts on Interstellar guys?

IMO its a genre defining movie.Time will tell,but I think it has an epic signature, especially audio video effects and this idea of a story, parallel scenes on earth and other galaxy are great, a bit of enigmatic (not everyone like this, that 'we dont know' everything what is happening on earth) and Hatthaway plus Damon are the best.Mcconaughey always great like netserk said, he is a last 5 years top class actor - lincoln lawyer,wolf,buyers club and interstellar these are Wow movies.

also those kubrick scenes and sarcastic AI robots, very good.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I didn't take much notice of the new Creed film with Stallone when it was first announced but I see it has got very strong reviews.

Might be well worth a watch.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
watched Malick's Knight Of Cups

aka Emmanuel Chivo Lubenzky's lens Knight Of Cups, so Chivo has done what Chris Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai did for the slo-motion walk... but Malick needs not to allow this to override his films now.

It can be stunning, wrt this atmospheric/experiential immersive mood piece, tone quality, and Malick is trying to do something different to traditional narrative film celluloid (ok, this was done on digital)... like Bela Tarr and Nuri Bilge Ceylan, they are almost like the theatre director with a camera, they are not doing film, they are doing plays and theatre, but not like the Dogma group and what Lars Von Trier does in Dogville. that was reverse emgineered and retrofited schema, it does not progress film, much like current-day hipsters.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
just saw the David Foster Wallace booktourroadtripbiopic portmanteau

The End of the Tour... basically two hander, Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg were phenomenal, great direction, but the acting was a tour-de-force, the director does manage to pull off America, and the existential dilemma of Wallace microcosm as metaphor for the zeitgeist

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=The+End+of+the+Tour+foster+wallace+segel+eisenberg

eisenbergendoftour2.jpg

A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The bad penny first dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy’s eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

“I would love you to do something for me,” I said.

“Anything! Anything!” the boy said rapturously.

“You won’t like what I’m going to ask you to do,” I said.

“Anything, sir, anything!”

“Well,” I said, “do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?”

He burst into tears. His mother drew himself up to an immense height. “What a dreadful thing to say to a child!” she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

Sir Alec Guinness in his memoir "A Positively Final Appearance". For a big Star Wars hater like me, this is a priceless comment from the Greatest Anglophone actor of all time. ;)

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Anyone who's had the opportunity to watch the new Star Wars movie. Is it good?

TREMENDOUS, for anybody, whether they be a StarWars fan boy(like me) or a new to the series. Well made, very entertaining, thoughtful, gritty.

PLUS gonna set the record of all time $..easy. MUCH better than the silly avatar(i'm king of the world!!)...dances with wolves on an alien world..silly.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
In the midst of all this Star Wars hype just a few personal recommendations from me:

-Night train to Lissabon (netflix)
-Taking Chance (HBO)
-Tinker tailor soldier spy (netflix)
-The best offer (netlfix)
-Hotel Rwanda (netflix)
-Sling blade (netflix)

I have many more but these are films I have recently watched (rewatched)..

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Anyone who's had the opportunity to watch the new Star Wars movie. Is it good?
It's a real Star Wars film, the first since 1983.

That's all you need to know :D

Pretty much this, it's back to the original Star Wars we all know and love. A necessary first step in washing away the sins of the prequels. :D

And Kylo Ren is already one of the best villains in the Star Wars universe.