• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I started to watch La vie d'Adèle, but gave it up after some time. The sex scenes are hot, that's about it. The film reminded me why I usually don't like French films: They talk and talk, but I'm not getting anything from the dialogues. Of course they always talk about Sartre and sex on a first date.
Also the oral fixation of the director is way worse than mine and I can understand if the actresses were **ed off. I would be if I was reduced to an open mouth (and unwashed hair I constantly have to pull up and down).
Ah, now I remember I also watched "Quand on a 17 ans" this year. Also a French film about a first homosexual love, this time with boys. That one was way better!

Watched a couple of very good movies yesterday:

Schindler's List (1993) - It's been a while since I've seen it, but this movie really holds up. Aside from some initial cutesy Spielberg moments the movie gets down to the nitty and gritty, in some ways it hit me harder than when I was younger and first saw it. It's not for the faint of heart, I think it depicts the horrors of the Holocaust well.

On a side note - I had visited Dachau when I was about ten (dad thought this would be a good idea for a Sunday family activity with the kids), I still remember the meathooks, the pictures of the human experiments, the ovens, and especially the gas chambers. I was just terrified someone would close the door and I would get gassed, a similar scene and feeling was depicted in Schindler's List. (On a lighter note I still have to chuckle when Seinfeld's mom was just appalled that Seinfeld was making out at the theater during Schindler's List - "You were making out during Schindler's List? How could you make out during Schindler's List?!!")

Frost/Nixon (2008) - It's very hard not to get political, so all I'm going to say is history has a way of repeating itself. It's not as good as All the President's Men (one of my all time faves), but it's an entertaining David v Goliath story.

Frank Langella did a good job playing Nixon, and I enjoy Michael Sheen in pretty much every movie I've seen him in. He's been in some good ones.
Sheen and Langella are consistently good. Schindler's List was one of Spielberg's better movies I thought. That Seinfeld episode was funny. As was the one about Elaine not liking The English Patient.

I started to watch La vie d'Adèle, but gave it up after some time. The sex scenes are hot, that's about it. The film reminded me why I usually don't like French films: They talk and talk, but I'm not getting anything from the dialogues. Of course they always talk about Sartre and sex on a first date.
Also the oral fixation of the director is way worse than mine and I can understand if the actresses were **ed off. I would be if I was reduced to an open mouth (and unwashed hair I constantly have to pull up and down).
Ah, now I remember I also watched "Quand on a 17 ans" this year. Also a French film about a first homosexual love, this time with boys. That one was way better!
Yes the French have to fit Sartre in there somewhere.................

Just out of curiosity, what is your fave Spielberg movie?
Probably Jaws. One of his early movies. Jaws was a simple story but superbly put together. In general I'm not a big fan, I liked Close Encounters, I thought the first half of Saving Private Ryan was great but didn't care much for the second half. I guess Raiders of The Lost Ark would have to be up there as well. Minority Report wasn't bad, but I haven't seen them all.

Give it another chance, the last hour is the best. Excellent movie in my opinion, the sex scenes were maybe a bit long, but nonetheless it's never boring.

Probably Jaws. One of his early movies. Jaws was a simple story but superbly put together. In general I'm not a big fan, I liked Close Encounters, I thought the first half of Saving Private Ryan was great but didn't care much for the second half. I guess Raiders of The Lost Ark would have to be up there as well. Minority Report wasn't bad, but I haven't seen them all.
Jaws is good, it's suspenseful without all the boom and bang and special effects, back when things were much simpler in Hollywood.

You mentioned The English Patient earlier (another good Seinfeld episode, btw.), I've seen it a couple of times. It's good, but it's a bit of a downer, so one has to be in the mood for it.

Speaking of epic romantic dramas, have you seen Out of Africa? It was very highly regarded when it came out, I have yet to see it.

Jaws is good, it's suspenseful without all the boom and bang and special effects, back when things were much simpler in Hollywood.

You mentioned The English Patient earlier (another good Seinfeld episode, btw.), I've seen it a couple of times. It's good, but it's a bit of a downer, so one has to be in the mood for it.

Speaking of epic romantic dramas, have you seen Out of Africa? It was very highly regarded when it came out, I have yet to see it.
Yes Out of Africa is good and Meryl Streep nailed the accent again ! She usually does. I liked both films. Out of Africa is based on a true story. Redford does what he does and was very good. Both films best seen on the big screen at the cinema for the visuals. Good performances in both and I also liked the soundtracks as well.

The Parallax View (1974) - Eh, never cared for Warren Beatty much, he always struck me as a bit smarmy. But the movie itself is rather interesting, especially the ending.

Rollerball (1975) - For some pure fun and nonsense violence this is the one for you. Also...

I think John Houseman was horribly miscast as the villain, if they wanted somebody who wasn't doing a commercial for Grey Poupon at the time it would have been Rutger Hauer.

The Parallax View (1974) - Eh, never cared for Warren Beatty much, he always struck me as a bit smarmy. But the movie itself is rather interesting, especially the ending.

Rollerball (1975) - For some pure fun and nonsense violence this is the one for you. Also...

I think John Houseman was horribly miscast as the villain, if they wanted somebody who wasn't doing a commercial for Grey Poupon at the time it would have been Rutger Hauer.
Rollerball was entertaining hokum if in the right mood. Beatty was an odd one. Made some good movies but was never particularly likeable. I thought The Parallax View was okay but a lot of critics seem to rate it much higher. I still think his performance in Bonnie and Clyde was one of the best things he ever did, same with Dunaway. Both at the peak of the their beauty while playing psychopaths !

I don't rate Out of Africa very high, for some reason. Weird. It's a love story, it does have some adventure (at least in the story), an "exotic" background, a strong female character, an as-always great looking Redford in the male love-interest role... so, everything I love, basically, but it just never caught me. The beginning was better than the rest. I had the feeling it never got going, neither in terms of plot nor inner emotional intensity. Hm. One more film I would have to watch again to see what I think of it now.

Reactions: movingtarget
Watched What Maisie Knew(2012). Movie about a young girl pushed and pulled between warring parents and step-parents. Well acted and utterly believable but a little depressing. The film was mainly shot from the girl's point of view which just amplified the acting out of the parents and their bad behavior. Reminded me of my good old days working for the Child Support Agency............ shudder............that's when my hair started to turn grey...........

Watched What Maisie Knew(2012). Movie about a young girl pushed and pulled between warring parents and step-parents. Well acted and utterly believable but a little depressing. The film was mainly shot from the girl's point of view which just amplified the acting out of the parents and their bad behavior. Reminded me of my good old days working for the Child Support Agency............ shudder............that's when my hair started to turn grey...........
I haven't seen it, but it sounds a tiny tad like Ordinary People or Kramer vs. Kramer. A bit of a downer but I love the former, I thought everyone did a great job acting. Especially Timothy Hutton, at 20 years old I think he still is the youngest actor ever to win an Oscar for best supporting role. Donald Sutherland and Mary Tyler Moore were great also.

There's still some debate because some felt Raging Bull should have won the Oscar for best film that year instead of Ordinary People, but I think both movies are very well done. In my mind it's a tie.

I haven't seen it, but it sounds a tiny tad like Ordinary People or Kramer vs. Kramer. A bit of a downer but I love the former, I thought everyone did a great job acting. Especially Timothy Hutton, at 20 years old I think he still is the youngest actor ever to win an Oscar for best supporting role. Donald Sutherland and Mary Tyler Moore were great also.

There's still some debate because some felt Raging Bull should have won the Oscar for best film that year instead of Ordinary People, but I think both movies are very well done. In my mind it's a tie.
Ordinary People deserved it's award, it was quality it's just that the hype was all about Scorsese and De Niro. I preferred Ordinary People to Kramer Versus Kramer but both were very good, I just think that Ordinary People hit a little harder. I liked Raging Bull but not as much as some other Scorsese movies. What Maisie Knew I guess could be seen as a modern take on Kramer Versus Kramer and it also shows how much life has changed since the 70s re parenting, more working mothers and time constrained adults etc........one thing that hasn't changed is the effect on children of helicopter parenting and playing pass the parcel with them. The court system is also to blame with some ridiculous court orders and parenting plans......defies belief sometimes. Julianne Moore's character was a piece of work but so was the husband. Can't fault the acting.

Ordinary People deserved it's award, it was quality it's just that the hype was all about Scorsese and De Niro. I preferred Ordinary People to Kramer Versus Kramer but both were very good, I just think that Ordinary People hit a little harder. I liked Raging Bull but not as much as some other Scorsese movies. What Maisie Knew I guess could be seen as a modern take on Kramer Versus Kramer and it also shows how much life has changed since the 70s re parenting, more working mothers and time constrained adults etc........one thing that hasn't changed is the effect on children of helicopter parenting and playing pass the parcel with them. The court system is also to blame with some ridiculous court orders and parenting plans......defies belief sometimes. Julianne Moore's character was a piece of work but so was the husband. Can't fault the acting.
Oof, Child Support Services sounds like a tough gig, adults can get so nasty. Unfortunately a lot of times the kids end up paying for it, my hat's off to you for being able to handle it.

On that note Mary Tyler Moore's character was just despicable in Ordinary People, but you just know there are people like that out there for real. She wasn't playing some cartoony villain.

Back to movie talk I got around to watching The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) last night, it was good, but grim. I thought the choice of filming in black&white was interesting, and what's up with all these Cold War spy movies being shot at Checkpoint Charlie? That place, or at least the depiction of it, must have been a mecca for filmmakers back in the 60s.

Last edited:
Oof, Child Support Services sounds like a tough gig, adults can get so nasty. Unfortunately a lot of times the kids end up paying for it, my hat's off to you for being able to handle it.

On that note Mary Tyler Moore's character was just despicable in Ordinary People, but you just know there are people like that out there for real. She wasn't playing some cartoony villain.

Back to movie talk I got around to watching The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) last night, it was good, but grim. I thought the choice of filming in black&white was interesting, and what's up with all these Cold War spy movies being shot at Checkpoint Charlie? That place, or at least the depiction of it, must have been a mecca for filmmakers back in the 60s.
Yes The Spy Who Came In From The Cold was grim and the black and white suited it. Great performance by Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People but I thought all of the performances were good including Judd Hirsch who played the psychiatrist. The book was also very good.

Black Christmas (1974) - Margot Kidder was obnoxious and I thought Olivia Hussey was just awful, thankfully at least Kidder got bumped off fairly early.

This is one of the earliest slasher movies as we know them nowadays, it heavily influenced John Carpenter and his Halloween. Aside from the aforementioned actresses it was actually pretty good, very creepy.

The following is a spoiler in case somebody hasn't seen Black Christmas and wants to watch it in the future, I don't know how to do spoiler tags and make the text disappear:

We never find out who the killer is or why he kills to begin with, that's an unusual approach. I think there was some talk about a sequel, but instead all there was was just a remake or two, I would have preferred a sequel. I need some answers, gosh darnit.

Black Christmas (1974) - Margot Kidder was obnoxious and I thought Olivia Hussey was just awful, thankfully at least Kidder got bumped off fairly early.

This is one of the earliest slasher movies as we know them nowadays, it heavily influenced John Carpenter and his Halloween. Aside from the aforementioned actresses it was actually pretty good, very creepy.

The following is a spoiler in case somebody hasn't seen Black Christmas and wants to watch it in the future, I don't know how to do spoiler tags and make the text disappear:

We never find out who the killer is or why he kills to begin with, that's an unusual approach. I think there was some talk about a sequel, but instead all there was was just a remake or two, I would have preferred a sequel. I need some answers, gosh darnit.
There was two remakes and both are supposed to be appalling. I liked the original. Might have to re-watch it. But yes it was one of the original slasher movies and critics seemed to be mostly favourable.

Neil Jordan has made some good films but Byzantium(2013) isn't one of them. A vampire movie that doesn't rise above B movie status albeit with some nice visuals. Some of the performances and script are also more than a little shaky. Only the performance by Saoirse Ronan stops it from becoming a complete dog. Needless to say I made use of the fast forward button............

There was two remakes and both are supposed to be appalling. I liked the original. Might have to re-watch it. But yes it was one of the original slasher movies and critics seemed to be mostly favourable.
I liked the original Black Christmas (haven't seen the remakes) because instead of gore there was a lot of creepiness, tension, and suspense. You barely saw the murders themselves.

I watched some stupid slasher flick yesterday called The Initiation (1984), the killer was getting more and more creative with the weapons as the movie went on. First a hand rake, then a machete, then a bow and arrow, etc., one must appreciate the killer's talent for using a whole variety of weapons, not to mention to have them all handy to begin with. And, of course, there was a lot of gore and a high body count, but the movie itself was hardly scary. It was just stupid, which is okay once in a while. I don't mean to knock hardcore fans of slasher flicks.

Neil Jordan has made some good films but Byzantium(2013) isn't one of them. A vampire movie that doesn't rise above B movie status albeit with some nice visuals. Some of the performances and script are also more than a little shaky. Only the performance by Saoirse Ronan stops it from becoming a complete dog. Needless to say I made use of the fast forward button............
According to IMDb from a budget of roughly $10.5 million the movie grossed only $828,000 at the box office worldwide, I think it's safe to say the movie was a dog. I have not seen it.

I don't do a good job of keep up on this thread...
"Almost Famous"- I saw part of it in the early 2000s, but finally just watched it. Not too bad.
Yes it was okay. Probably a tad overrated. The boy reporter was ridiculous, he looked all of 14 in the movie. I think he was based on Cameron Crowe who was a music journalist before he started directing movies although he was supposed to be writing for Rolling Stone magazine at the age of 15 !

TRENDING THREADS