• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Your wildfires were just tragic, I remember seeing the headlines and just feeling heartbroken for all the wildlife that had succumbed, and of course all the land that had been torched. Just tragic.
Yes they will be hoping to avoid that this season coming up. Some places don't have any bush left to burn ! Thankfully we had some decent rain which will help but it also means they will have to do some back burning and reduce the fuel loads. Kangaroo Island known for it's Koala population was decimated, that won't be a short term fix and they also rely on tourism a lot so at the moment they are having a bad time of it.

Last edited:
Suspiria (2018) a remake of horror director Dario Argento's most beloved film from 1977. Argento was very popular in the 70's and 80's world of horror cinema. Needless to say the remake got caned by a lot of critics and fans cause it is nothing like the original in style or story. Also a longer film than the original and this one is full of muted colours with a minimalist soundtrack while the original had rich colors and pounding soundtrack. It also has a political angle which isn't too much of a distraction. I quite liked it but the ending was bizarre, maybe more style over substance and not as scary as the original but there were also one or two very good set pieces that were very effective. The acting was quite good. If Argento films sometimes had a weakness it was poor acting but Suspiria wasn't too bad in that regard compared to some of his others. I have seen a lot worse remakes than this one even though I think if the script was stronger for the last 20 minutes the film would have been much more effective. Not as good as the original maybe but interesting.

Suspiria (2018) a remake of horror director Dario Argento's most beloved film from 1977. Argento was very popular in the 70's and 80's world of horror cinema. Needless to say the remake got caned by a lot of critics and fans cause it is nothing like the original in style or story. Also a longer film than the original and this one is full of muted colours with a minimalist soundtrack while the original had rich colors and pounding soundtrack. It also has a political angle which isn't too much of a distraction. I quite liked it but the ending was bizarre, maybe more style over substance and not as scary as the original but there were also one or two very good set pieces that were very effective. The acting was quite good. If Argento films sometimes had a weakness it was poor acting but Suspiria wasn't too bad in that regard compared to some of his others. I have seen a lot worse remakes than this one even though I think if the script was stronger for the last 20 minutes the film would have been much more effective. Not as good as the original maybe but interesting.
I never saw the original but just finished watching this remake, I'll definitely have to visit IMDb because there are things that had escaped me. What did not escape me was that the movie was looooong, I managed to do a couple of loads of laundry while taking frequent breaks.

Anyhoo, normally I don't care for supernatural witchcraft type of stuff, but this was actually pretty interesting. I liked the scenery and sets, they reminded of my childhood back in the eastern bloc. And I liked the modern dance, I was getting tired just watching the dancers performing their routines.

And now off to IMDb, there are things I need to understand. Such as I didn't really get the Baader- Meinhof connection, but I do recall having seen a German movie called The Baader-Meinhof Complex (2008) some years back. I can't remember a thing of it, so I'll have to google that as well.

I never saw the original but just finished watching this remake, I'll definitely have to visit IMDb because there are things that had escaped me. What did not escape me was that the movie was looooong, I managed to do a couple of loads of laundry while taking frequent breaks.

Anyhoo, normally I don't care for supernatural witchcraft type of stuff, but this was actually pretty interesting. I liked the scenery and sets, they reminded of my childhood back in the eastern bloc. And I liked the modern dance, I was getting tired just watching the dancers performing their routines.

And now off to IMDb, there are things I need to understand. Such as I didn't really get the Baader- Meinhof connection, but I do recall having seen a German movie called The Baader-Meinhof Complex (2008) some years back. I can't remember a thing of it, so I'll have to google that as well.
I think the Baader Meinhof informnation was a way of introducing the setting of the film as it was obviouslty 70's Berlin. Whether it had any ties with witchcraft and society etc..........I'm not sure what the directing was getting at it if there unless it was about the freedom of witchcraft and delusions of the state etc......... I lked the character of the doctor and I thought the scene with him and his disturbed patient was one of the best in the movie as well as the scene where he found out his wife's fate. The film looked great with the muted colours. I didn't mind the length so much as I wasn't bored. The dance scene with the girl being thrown around the room downstairs was pretty amazing and disturbing. Tilda Swinton's performance was good as the dance teacher. She certainly stands out with her unusual looks.

I think the Baader Meinhof informnation was a way of introducing the setting of the film as it was obviouslty 70's Berlin. Whether it had any ties with witchcraft and society etc..........I'm not sure what the directing was getting at it if there unless it was about the freedom of witchcraft and delusions of the state etc......... I lked the character of the doctor and I thought the scene with him and his disturbed patient was one of the best in the movie as well as the scene where he found out his wife's fate. The film looked great with the muted colours. I didn't mind the length so much as I wasn't bored. The dance scene with the girl being thrown around the room downstairs was pretty amazing and disturbing. Tilda Swinton's performance was good as the dance teacher. She certainly stands out with her unusual looks.
Yes, I liked the doctor the most as well, he's about the only one I felt any sympathy for. Plus that Sara Simms character, poor gal, she's the only one who had the balls to question things and do some investigating. Also agree on the muted colors and minimal soundtrack, in general I just prefer movies that don't have bombastic background music that announces everything that's about to happen.

The dancing was just amazing, the routines looked so exhausting to perform. And I liked the red costumes in the public dance performance - if you've ever watched ice dancing you know some costumes can look downright ridiculous. But in this movie they were stunning without being gaudy.

EDIT: I didn't think the Baader-Meinhof and the whole Mennonite thing in Ohio had really added anything, so I'll just ignore those parts. I'm just too lazy to think about them even if there were to be a connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Solaris (1972) Andrei Tarkovsky's sci fi classic. Kind of a response to 2001. Very long, obscure and not an easy watch. Arthouse at it's best and worst. I can see why the author was unhappy with the adaptation, it had little in common with the book. Probably deserves to be scene as a Russian classic from the 70's but not as good as some of his other movies or as accessible which Tarkovsky never cared about anyway, he was trying to put poetry on film and not always succeeding.

The Piano (1993) maybe Jane Campion's best film. Visually stunning, well acted but a bit emotionally distant. Would have been great at the cinema just for the visuals. Nice soundtrack as well.

Have to jump at this. One of my favourite movies, maybe my favourite. I love Harvey Keitel! And the scenery, the camera, the music, the dramatic plot, the acting of pretty much everyone... maybe there's a bit too much... I don't know, pathos? Solemnity? But overall I love it.

Rewatched 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - The controversial topic of abortion aside I like this movie because it makes me wonder what my life would have been like as a college student in the CSSR had I lived there long enough, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as dire as it was for the people living in 1980s Romania under Nicolae Ceaușescu's rule.

I think what would have made this film even more powerful would be if it had been mentioned that not only was abortion illegal in Romania during those times, but so was any kind of contraception simply because Ceaușescu wanted to raise the population. Still, it's a very good movie with great acting and minimalist approach, but it's not for the squeamish or for those sensitive to the topic of abortion.

Rewatched 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - The controversial topic of abortion aside I like this movie because it makes me wonder what my life would have been like as a college student in the CSSR had I lived there long enough, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as dire as it was for the people living in 1980s Romania under Nicolae Ceaușescu's rule.

I think what would have made this film even more powerful would be if it had been mentioned that not only was abortion illegal in Romania during those times, but so was any kind of contraception simply because Ceaușescu wanted to raise the population. Still, it's a very good movie with great acting and minimalist approach, but it's not for the squeamish or for those sensitive to the topic of abortion.
The Death of Mr.Lazarescu was a very good Romanian movie. I am yet to see the 4 months movie.

The Death of Mr.Lazarescu was a very good Romanian movie. I am yet to see the 4 months movie.
I'll have to watch Mr. Lazarescu, luckily youtube has a free stream and mercifully it comes with English subtitles. Yay!

4 Months had caused quite a stir in Hollywood because it had glaringly been omitted from a nomination for an Oscar, consequently the Academy had made some changes as to how it chooses its foreign film nominees. I would definitely recommend you see it.

Last edited:
ATM (2012) - Geeeeez, everything about this movie was just awful- the acting, the dialogue, the set (an ATM booth and a parking lot), it looked like it had been made by an untalented film student on a severe budget. Frankly I'm surprised this is an IFC movie, their selections are usually pretty decent.

Fury (2014) starring Brad Pitt as a seen it all sergeant in command of a tank in WWII as the Allies invade Germany. What would have been a good war movie with great battle scenes up until 20 minutes from the finish suddenly took a turn and as Hollywood often does, why shape when you can bludgeon ? The moral grand standing and the self sacrifice just didn't align with the rest of the movie. A lot of movies are quite good for three quarters but just don't know how to do endings or make a coherent whole. Good performances, very good visuals, all too believable battle scenes. When it was moving along as an action movie it was fine but unfortunately the quieter scenes were more cliched and less interesting. Still a good movie for war movie fans but a better script would have made it even more effective. Missed opportunity but action fans won't mind.

I rode from SD to LA yesterday,using interstate 5, 405 and Hiway 101, many many movie theaters located adjacent to the freeways,with the marquees displaying upcoming movies all had big signs announcing that they were open..and some movie safety specific logo included..guessing a Covid standard adopted by theater owners.
There are a couple of massive parking garages in Orange county that have a 4-6 story tall sign hanging to promote the movie Tenet which was supposed to be a expensive block buster..does not look to have materialized..
I personally miss seeing movies on the big screen..
I wish the industry luck because I don't want mass movie theater closures

I rode from SD to LA yesterday,using interstate 5, 405 and Hiway 101, many many movie theaters located adjacent to the freeways,with the marquees displaying upcoming movies all had big signs announcing that they were open..and some movie safety specific logo included..guessing a Covid standard adopted by theater owners.
There are a couple of massive parking garages in Orange county that have a 4-6 story tall sign hanging to promote the movie Tenet which was supposed to be a expensive block buster..does not look to have materialized..
I still remember drive-in movie theaters, never been to one, but they were starting to close down just about when I was old enough to drive to them. They would come in handy right about now.

I think the local regular theaters have some kind of a seating format where you have to sit four seats apart and a row apart, or something like that, they should implement that anyway so you don't have to deal with other people's noise, big hair you can't see over, people kicking the back of your chair and whatnot, I don't like theaters for those reasons. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they cope with Covid in the long run.

I still remember drive-in movie theaters, never been to one, but they were starting to close down just about when I was old enough to drive to them. They would come in handy right about now.

I think the local regular theaters have some kind of a seating format where you have to sit four seats apart and a row apart, or something like that, they should implement that anyway so you don't have to deal with other people's noise, big hair you can't see over, people kicking the back of your chair and whatnot, I don't like theaters for those reasons. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they cope with Covid in the long run.
At the moment drive ins have become a godsend for movie lovers, I went a few times as a kid but my family were more cinema goers. A different experience but still fun. Too bad that VHS and DVD killed off most of the drive in, they ended up becoming housing estates or flea markets or whatever. Only one left now in my state but it's doing good business at the moment.

The cinema business is in dire shape it seems even in the USA. High profile people in the business are trying to get the government to help and some of the big movie chains are talking possible bankruptcy or at least mass closures. Tenet has been given a wide cinema release in Australia including at my local cinema. My local cinema reopened with reduced sessions and audience sizes but I am not interested in going at the moment due to health risks. If I don't trust supermarkets then I certainly don't trust cinemas or gyms etc..........a lot of movies have been temporarily shelved, some have gone straight to streaming like Tom Hanks latest and the Mulan remake. Tenet is only one of the blockbusters that made it to the big screen so far. The cinema industry will need audiences for their Christmas season which is traditionally a big one for new releases and raking in the cash. Maybe some of the streaming releases will get a cinema release later who knows ? if there is no audiences then they won't bother of course. Some will also go to DVD quicker than usual but it seems DVD and CD sales these days are dropping anyway. Some people still prefer to watch movies on DVD especially older people. Maybe DVD sales have increased lately ?

Enter The Void (2009). Gaspar Noe movies are never easy to watch and this is no exception. Kind of like being in someone's head for 137 minutes after they have taken drugs ! A visual experience, stoners will love it. The idea is not a new one but the execution with the kinetic camera work is a one off I'm sure. Makes the most of the Tokyo skyline. The acting barely matters but it's okay, being interested in the characters is a bigger problem. After an hour it becomes pretty repetitive but cinematography buffs will be in heaven. After 137 minutes my eyes needed a rest. A lot of people will love or hate it and this was reflected in some of the reviews I read later. I got some enjoyment out of it but not a lot. I found his other movies more interesting but technically and visually it's impressive. God knows what it was like at the cinema !

Rewatched North Country (2005) - Upon first viewing it was grim and depressing, upon second viewing it's still grim and depressing and I don't need to see it again. At least the cast is stellar with the likes of Sissy Spacek, Frances McDormand, Jeremy Renner, Woody Harrelson, and Sean Bean.

I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction being this movie is based on a landmark court case regarding sexual harassment in the workplace (this was waaaaay before the MeToo movement came about), and I'm torn on Charlize Theron's acting abilities. But at least she occasionally produces and stars in a movie that brings up issues that need to be brought up, North Country is one of them.

Last edited:
Rewatched North Country (2005) - Upon first viewing it was grim and depressing, upon second viewing it's still grim and depressing and I don't need to see it again. At least the cast is stellar with the likes of Sissy Spacek, Frances McDormand, Jeremy Renner, Woody Harrelson, and Sean Bean.

I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction being this movie is based on a landmark court case regarding sexual harassment in the workplace (this was waaaaay before the MeToo movement came about), and I'm torn on Charlize Theron's acting abilities. But at least she occasionally produces and stars in a movie that brings up issues that need to be brought up, North Country is one of them.
Haven't seen it but I remember reading about it. Great cast........

TRENDING THREADS